October 25, 2014

'Today Show' Reunites 'Eight Is Enough' Cast (Well, Most of Them)

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 1st 2010 1:02PM
Eight is Enough'Today' is doing a special series of reunion shows, getting some famous TV families together again. First up: the cast of 'Eight Is Enough,' who appeared on the show this morning (video after the jump) to talk about their time on the show, what went on behind the scenes, what the dinner scenes were like, and how the show compares to what is on TV today.

Note: Meredith Vieira's intro to the interview is over the top. I really don't think that the end of the Vietnam War played such a crucial part in the show's success. And did they actually have to introduce each cast member separately and have them walk on stage to their chairs?

The cast members who appeared were Dick Van Patten, Betty Buckley, Grant Goodeve, Dianne Kay, Laurie Walters, Willie Aames, and Connie Needham.

Obviously the death of Lani O'Grady means that the entire cast can't be reunited, but when you have a show with a number in the title ("Eight") and that many don't show up, well, it's noticeable.

Susan Richardson wasn't there, and neither was Adam Rich, who has had several problems since the show ended. Rich sent a generic note wishing he could be there but... well, I'm not sure why he wasn't there. Kay appeared via satellite because she's in Los Angeles, but Rich and Richardson did not. That's too bad. It would have been nice to get all of the surviving cast members together again.

Tomorrow the show will have the cast of 'The Partridge Family.' I bet Susan Dey doesn't show up.

Aljorie

I really enjoyed watching that segment. As far as it goes with old school family shows from the 70's-early 80's this is one of my favs. I am surprised that it's not on schedule for a DVD box set in the future. I mean I know it's not a popular show but really I would like to see it on DVD format. It is a shame some of the other cast members weren't able to be available for the reunion.

March 06 2010 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dan

Dianne kay is too nice to say anything publicly about her cast members

March 03 2010 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jimchig

I happened to catch that pretty boring segment. I was surprised that Dianne Kay did not say more, but Meredith only asked her one question from her remote site.

However, when they went to commercial after the segment was done, I could hear her still talking. She was saying how difficult it was to add stuff when everyone was talking. I sat there anticipating some juicy, gossipy comment not meant for public consumption, but none came. Drat!

March 03 2010 at 8:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Telechimp

What is up with the 'Today' show lately?... Segments are so rushed and random. Is that what people want in morning tv? And every time I tune in, that Hoda creature seems to be drinking... it's 8 in the morning...

March 01 2010 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leroy

I once got to know the sister of one of the cast members (I don't care to say which one, but it was one of those who appeared on Today). I doubt any of the real stories I heard about what happened on that set made it onto the air since they involved what a hateful brat one cast member was, how another was always so stoned that they couldn't remember their lines, etc. All in all, my friend's sibling considered doing the show one of the most miserable experiences of their life.

March 01 2010 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Leroy's comment
dan

I bet you are talking about dianne kay. She hated Laurie walters and betty! that is why she did not appear in nyc.

March 02 2010 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply