July 22, 2014

'24' - '1:00 AM - 2:00 AM' Recap

by Mike Moody, posted Mar 2nd 2010 11:37AM
'24' - '1:00 AM - 2:00 AM' Recap
(S08E10) This episode hat it all – action, suspense, tension, and dead bodies on parade. The plot is really heating up now that Jack is "all in" and motivated to stop the terrorists from detonating their "dirty bomb."

But saving New York City from a radiological nightmare isn't the only thing pushing Jack to nab the baddies. The man is smitten. He wants to keep Renee safe and sound and free from government prosecution. I guess everyone needs some personal motivation, right?

Take Samir and the IRK terrorists, for instance. Detonating the bomb would be a huge win for them. Not only will they demolish NYC and leave the area uninhabitable for 40 years, but they'll also plunge the US into a war with Kamistan, successfully thwarting Hasan's peace negotiations.

I was glad to see Hasan dig himself out of the paranoia-induced hole he'd been living in for the last few episodes and agree to hand over the security files to the CTU. The threat of war and the capture of his brother finally compelled him to start thinking like the progressive leader we met many hours ago. Hasan seems to be moving in the right direction now, but his paranoia trip might cost him his daughter.

She turned her back on him and shacked up with Tarin in a hotel room for some middle-of-the-night lovin', ignorant about the IRK agents' plot to nuke the city. This development pushed Hasan to ask his estranged wife for help, putting her life in danger as well. Now if only CTU could identify the terrorists before something bad happens.

Farhad, who decided to get himself shot instead of hiding and waiting for the cavalry, died before he could identify the IRK agents on the security files. Jack's solution to this problem – pull a 'Weekend at Bernie's' with Farhad's body (or a "Hail Mary" as Hastings called it) and force the baddies to come out of hiding to take Farhad out for good.

Which leads us to Marcos (the appropriately intense-looking Rami Malek). Pairing up the desperate American-born terrorist with green CTU agent Own was an excellent idea. Their nervous energy added some great tension to the final act, especially when Owen forced Marcos to reveal his explosive vest, giving Chloe a nice opportunity to shut it down via remote – which, admittedly, was completely ridiculous.

For a minute there it seemed like Marcos was going to abandon his mission after the vest failed to explode. This is the guy who warned his momma (Mare Winningham) to get outta town before the bomb went off, leading me to believe he had some humanity left in him. But his hesitation faded away as he unloaded his pistol on Farhad's dead body (I loved the look on Marcos' face when Farhad's heart monitor failed to flatline. It was a nice dark comic moment). He even jumped out of a third story window when Jack had him cornered. Now he's locked himself inside an oxygen chamber, ready to set off the explosives manually. Will momma be able to convince him to give up the fight?

And what about poor ol' Cole? He's missing out on all the action thanks to Dana's dreary B-plot. Why is he helping her? Why did he dump Kevin and Nick's body? Why didn't he just arrest Dana and get back to work (if he still has a job to go back to)? Despite my reservations about this plot, I actually like Cole, and I hope things turn out OK for the guy in the end. And Dana? It's clear Cole would be better off without her. Any guesses for how this plot will resolve itself?

Next week: More Mare Winningham. And 'Office Space's Stephen Root!

(Catch up with free episodes of '24' on Slashcontrol.)

Tri

Braga or not, this season is up there with the worst of all time. Like many here, I am compelled against my better judgement to see it through to the end, with my only salvation being the knowledge that this is the last one.

April 06 2010 at 1:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

love Mare Winningham

March 09 2010 at 2:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Brannon Braga is NOT destroying 24.

March 08 2010 at 8:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MSBNYY

#11--the millions of Star Trek fans who had the displeasure of watching that no talent hack Brannon Braga destroy one franchise have every right to complain about him ruining another one.

Ron Moore at least got a few million to deal with that guy.

The only economy Braga destroyed was that billion dollar economy known as the Star Trek franchise, but once they got rid of him, Star Trek became a juggernaut again.

Not really a shock.

Kim being chased by a cougar was genius compared to this lame Dana plot.

March 04 2010 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Not really a 24 basher like others on here, but last night's episode was horendous. Boring.

What was up with that "Mr. Bauer" crap?

March 02 2010 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Brannon Braga wrote for the "modern" Star Trek series (Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise). He worked on the first three with Ron Moore (of recent Battlestar Galactica fame), and Braga and Moore had a pretty nasty falling out while on Voyager. Voyager and Enterprise were considered disappointments by die-hard Trekkies, and they blamed Braga for it.

March 02 2010 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

I've been pretty hard on this season, but I ultimately wound up really enjoying last night's episode. Well I enjoyed it when Dana/Jenny wasn't on screen. Hopefully Stephen Root can give this B plot a pulse.

Also I have no clue who Brannon Braga is.

March 02 2010 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

I liked the Marcos/Farhad plotline immensely (Mare Winningham!). It was reminiscent of one of my favorite movies, Gosford Park. Robert Parks (Clive Owen) comes to Gosford Park with the intention of killing his father, William McCordle (Michael Gambon), an industrialist who had "dumped" his illegitimate children in orphanages. However, when Parks stabs McCordle in his study, he's already dead-Parks' mother, Mrs. Wilson (Helen Mirren), a servant at Gosford Park, has beaten him to the punch by poisoning him.

March 02 2010 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Benjy

Good grief! Is there a secret cult of Brannon Braga haters lurking all over TVSquad. When are you people going to start blaming the collapse of the economy on Brannon Braga? Enough already! The only person who has any rights to complain about Braga is Ron Moore (and Ron Moore has obviously moved on to much greater things!).

I've really been enjoying this season (as I have all the others of "24"). Keifer Sutherland has created such a compelling character in Jack Bauer that any Jack is better than no Jack. Many of you think too hard about this. "24" is like a well-designed roller coaster. The ride's the thing. So what if Katee Sackhoff has a lame B-plot? Who cares? I stick with it for the A-plot anyway. People rave about seasons of "24" where the B-plot was Kim being chased by a cougar! Focus on Bauer and you can't go wrong!

March 02 2010 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Benjy's comment
Edward

For the collapse of Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers, I blame Brannon Braga!

March 02 2010 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hugeliver

True Benjy. Good points all, but come one. You have to admit last night was pretty damn bad writing!

March 02 2010 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mdisloki

I tend to agree with Edward. I've been a fan from the beginning, but it's very difficult to compare the stuff they're giving us now to the days of President Palmer. However I will stick with Jack until the day Fox pulls the plug.

I think just suspect everyone on this show, but I'm not so sure Presidents Hassan's daughter isn't on the bad guys team. Perhaps she was closer to her uncle than anyone knows.

"And 'Office Space's Stephen Root!"... Yes please!
I hope his name is Agent Jimmy James.

March 02 2010 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply