July 23, 2014

Cablevision and ABC Disney Feuding in NYC

by Danny Gallagher, posted Mar 3rd 2010 10:02AM
Cablevision, ABC Disney FeudAnother media outlet and cable company are feuding again. Only this time, some serious collateral damage hangs in the balance.

ABC Disney and Cablevision are in another programming feud with one side threatening to yank the plug out of the wall for the local New York City affiliate WABC. This time, it's over (spins the "Wheel of Media Conglomerate Feud Causes") licensing fees! Man, the wheel keeps landing on that one for some reason. I swear that one of these days, it's going to land on "custody of Jon and/or Kate."

Cablevision executive vice president Charles Schueler said ABC Disney wants an additional $40 million on top of the $200 million they have already forked over to the Mouse House. The veep released a harsh statement against the media giant that said "It is not fair to force Cablevision customers to pay a new TV tax for programming ABC Disney gives away free, both over-the-air and on the Internet. In tough economic times, it is shameful that ABC Disney would hold viewers hostage by threatening to pull the plug, and we urge them to work with us to reach a fair agreement."

Elias

It's tough to fathom having these kinds of problems with my TV provider. Four years ago I made the switch to satellite, and I've been an extremely satisfied customer of DISH Network (and an employee the last year). The customer service has always been top notch, . With DISH I also have access to the most HD in the industry. Do yourself a favor and look into it at www.dish.com. It's your first step into a larger world.

February 10 2011 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angela

Seems unfair that ABC is asking for money from cablevision for a free channel, it is like we are being punished for being cablevision customers. I agree these are 2 big and both greedy companies, but ABC is hitting below the belt and we will suffer.

March 03 2010 at 5:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

Cablevision sucks anyway. Looking for an excuse to switch to Verizon FiOS.

March 03 2010 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Bill's comment
Brian

At least you've got the choice. I can't get it unless we rewire to verizon. Or it's unavailable on my street. I don't really know, that's what the website tells the call reps.

March 03 2010 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ally

As Brian said, not everyone has a choice. I live in a condo complex, for example, that doesn't have FIOS. Nor can I install the dish. I'd imagine the same is true for many co-op residents and renters. Over-the-air transmission is notoriously bad in many areas. Also, consider that many customers live in NYC which means that probably the majority of people don't live in private houses. For many people Cablevision is the only alternative.

Sure Cablevision charges for basic service, but I'd imagine the retransmission and line maintenance involves people employed to do the job means that they do have expenses. It's not like the retransmission of all channels in basic service has no cost to them. ABC on the other hand has income from the ads. They given this service for free to others, so why should Cablevision customers pay for it. And we will pay for it in one way or another, don't think that Cablevision will eat the cost.

March 04 2010 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christine

Seems to me like ABC isn't only to blame. Cablevision charges me to watch it, what kind of world do they live in that they expect to charge for something that they themselves get for free? Doesn't seem fair to blame ABC fully for this.

March 03 2010 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Christine's comment
MaxShadow

They charge you for basic because they retransmit those "free" stations (2-13) to you static free over a wire (the wire isn't free and neither is the upkeep of those wires).
If that was the only service you subscribed to (broadcast basic), then you wind up paying for the delivery of the channels, the cable from Cablevision to your house, trucks, repairmen, customer service...etc.
If you owned Cablevision wouldn't you charge for Broadcast Basic?

March 08 2010 at 1:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply