August 29, 2014

Meredith Vieira Sticking With 'Today'

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 4th 2010 11:00AM
Meredith VieiraTV Guide is reporting that 'Today' co-host Meredith Vieira has signed a new deal with NBC that keeps her in the co-anchor seat alongside Matt Lauer until the end of 2011.

The fact that Vieira re-upped with 'Today' isn't surprising (she has settled in quite nicely over there), though it is a little surprising that she only signed on for one more year. I don't know what type of contract Lauer has with the show (though The New York Times says his last contract extension in 2006 was for five years), or Robin Roberts at ABC or Harry Smith at CBS, but I would have thought that the network would want to lock Vieira in with a multi-year deal. So the fact that Vieira is staying with 'Today' isn't news, but I think the length of her contract might be.

Maybe she just wants to take it year by year and see how things go.

DAD

Who cares with all that isgoing on people being forclosed on oilprices and this country tring to get ridof unuion rights what was all the fighting about all those years ago for trhem now that the private sector do not get the job with a union compZany they want everone eles rights taken away...

April 07 2011 at 8:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz

Meredith is the sole reason I started watching Today ( I had been an avid GMA watcher for years).

I met her when I was a contestant on Millionaire and up close and personal I can tell you she was warm, down-to-earth, gracious, wickedly funny, and smart.

Even before that when she was on the View I thought she was the best part of that show.

Go Meredith!

March 05 2010 at 8:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna Thompson

By the way, Matt Lauer was born in New York City.

March 05 2010 at 1:39 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Donna Thompson

I sometimes have to turn the channel when Meredith is on. She is so awkward. Her interviews are all the same asking the same questions all the time. Here's one..."What was going through your head when....."
When there is a handsome on the set, she acts like a teenager swooning over them. Always asking Matt where's your coat/hat when they are outside. No chemistry with Matt and last but not least, is there a coach out there that can teach that woman to laugh? Her laugh sends shivers down my spine!

March 05 2010 at 1:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patty

Meredith is okay but I don't care for her interviews. Katie Couric was great at interviewing and always had that great giggle. I think Katie made a HUGE mistake going to the news at night.

March 05 2010 at 1:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WorldObserver

IS THIS SUPPOSED TO BE A SHOCKER? SHE'S MAKING MULTI-MILLIONS - WHO WOULDN'T STAY?!!!$!$!$!$!$!$!$!$!$!$!$!$!$!$$$$$$$$$$$$$

March 05 2010 at 1:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aef90025

I agree with those who say Ann Curry deserves more. I find Meredith sort of silly (in a bad way).

March 05 2010 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

I don't watch "The Today show" very often. I have to say Mary is awkward there. At first I thought it was just because she was new and all but I watched the other day and it still has a weird fit. She was better on "The View" back when that show was calm and fun before the world is flat, Sherri Sheppard and the current moderator, Whoopie, "I don't brush my teeth" Goldberg. Bring Rosie back!!!

March 05 2010 at 12:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carolyn

Meredith is awesome! She is genuine, funny, and perfect as a morning show anchor. She is versatile - she can banter with the rest of her colleagues and then switch to a serious interview and ask tough questions. Plus, her and Matt Lauer have the best chemistry, almost like they've been friends all their life. Actually I love the chemistry of all four of them (M, M, A, A) - they seem like they truly enjoy each other's company and bring out the best in one other. I think the show is the best it's ever been (I'm 40 and have watched it since I was in my teens). It's light and entertaining, perfect for the morning. I hope all four stay on in their respective roles for many years to come.

March 04 2010 at 11:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jocko

Meridith belongs on "Millionaire" She's not a believable news person. Then again neither is Katie Couric. They're both just "eye candy" when compared to Robin Roberts orAaaaaaandrea Mitchell, NBC News( Oh is she awful)

March 04 2010 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply