'American Idol' - 'Four Finalists Eliminated' Recap

by Kona Gallagher, posted Mar 5th 2010 12:38AM
american idol top 20
We're getting rid of another four people this week, getting us ever closer to a Top 12. Are we going to lose who you think we are, or is Vote for the Worst going to come in again and skew the results? These are the questions we have to answer. Well, they're some of the questions we have to answer. We also need to find out if Danny Gokey still has a career, and if we can have more than 70% of the contestants not look completely dead inside during the group sing.

We're going to look at the poll results from the last two episodes and see if who you guys think are going home are actually the ones to leave, or if we're going to get some curveballs thrown at us. Personally, I have faith in your ability to predict the future, so let's see how you do!

After we get through the terrible Black Eyed Peas group sing, Ryan gets straight to the point and eliminates a guy. According to your votes on our poll, it should be Jermaine Sellers and Todrick Hall who are going home. Are you correct, or are we going to get another curve ball?

Tim Urban: SAFE
Todrick Hall: SAFE
Michael Lynche: SAFE
Casey James: SAFE
John Park: OUT

I've loved John Park from the beginning, so I pretty much hate this decision. Has John Mayer's doucheyness traveled far enough to taint the 'American Idol' results? Probably not, but I feel as though blaming it on him is a good idea. Especially, since even as John is singing his goodbye song, I already miss him.

After the commercial, we're getting back down to business and getting rid of another guy. Todrick is safe, but what of Jermaine Sellers? He's gotten a lot of criticism for his performance, but is he going to get kicked off?

Lee Dewyze: SAFE
Aaron Kelly: SAFE
Alex Lambert: SAFE
Andrew Garcia: SAFE
Jermaine Sellers: OUT

I nearly threw a shoe at the television when it looked like Andrew Garcia was getting kicked off. He's my favorite male contestant, so for him to get kicked off this early would have upset me greatly. I like Jermaine, but I'm not devastated to see him go. You guys called it, what do you think about the decision?

After the break, season 8 contestant Danny Gokey performs, and it doesn't take very long for me to realize that I still don't like him. He's a perfectly fine singer, but there's just something about him that makes me think he's singing to the grandmas of the world.

After all of that, it's time to eliminate a couple of the girls. According to our poll, it should be Paige Miles and Michelle Delamor who are going home. Personally, I feel as though Haeley Vaughn has sung her last song, but we'll see how it goes.

Lilly Scott: SAFE
Paige Miles: SAFE
Katie Stevens: SAFE
Didi Benami: SAFE
Michelle Delamor: OUT

Since we've only got an hour (thank God), we're getting right back into it after the commercial and eliminating another contestant. We know it's not going to be Paige, so will it be Haeley? Anything else would be pretty surprising to me.

Katelyn Epperly: SAFE
Crystal Bowersox: SAFE
Siobhan Magnus: SAFE
Lacey Brown: SAFE
Haeley Vaughn: OUT

It's unfortunate that Haeley had to go tonight, as I really liked her during the auditions and Hollywood week. However, she never really found herself during the live show. She's young, though, so hopefully she has a lot of time ahead of her to figure out who she is as a singer and do something interesting. But Lord, she sounds even more awful tonight than she did last night, so maybe stay away from the Miley Cyrus songs.

I'm still pretty depressed about John Park leaving, but what do you guys think? Did American make the right decisions? Who's still there who should have gone home?

Georgia

John Park's goodbye performance made me want to cry, it was mindblowing and I'm so sad I won't be able to hear his voice again on AI. Honestly I don't even want to watch anymore. I wish Tim whatever would just leave he has a hideous voice it makes me cringe.

March 05 2010 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leroy

John Park's farewell performance was much better than the one on Tuesday, so maybe he wasn't the right choice. Hayley on the other hand was even more dreadful than she was on Wednesday. If any of her notes were on key, I sure missed them.

March 05 2010 at 4:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol

I thought the ones voted off were correct. However, I totally don't agree with what you said about Danny Gokey. By the way, that song he sang last night is already Number 1 on GAC Top 20 Videos so I don't think very many agree with you. He is a very good singer and has good stage presence and seems to be a good person.

March 05 2010 at 4:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ricardo

First of for the most part I did agree with the eliminations. I think Michelle should have definitely stayed. Although I have no real problem with the guys who got eliminated Tim Urban needs to go home. This vote for the worst thing is getting out of control. As far as this poll goes I rarely use the race card but I think it would apply in this case. You people are NUTS if you think Paige Miles, the one declared by the judges to have the best voice, to be eliminated. As I stated before Michelle was definitely not the second worst female contestant. I don't care how much of a backlash this causes but I'm going to say it, American Idol is extremely hard for a miniority to win.

March 05 2010 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Mc

I guess only white people are watching this season

March 05 2010 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dkny

i thought it was a bit early for Michelle but she wasn't going to win anyway - there are only 4 maybe 5 singers capable of winning this thing and other than that who cares in what order they go... I don't care about the tour group

March 05 2010 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I think America did a pretty decent job last night. I think Jermaine and Haeley deserved to go, considering I didn't like either of each of their 2 live performances.

But I feel bad for Michelle, who took a chance that backfired this week. And for John, who just didn't show enough personality ON stage. I liked them both, personality-wise and voice-wise, but I think their performances this week weren't the strongest and it bit them in the butts.

I wish the 4 gone well...and I think next week will be interesting.

March 05 2010 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Slayer4915

Pretty happy with the results. Glad to see Jermaine, John, and Haeley go. Would have liked to get rid of Lacey and keep Michelle around for a bit, but whatcha gonna do?

March 05 2010 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NightOwl

I was surprised that Michelle was voted off because her performance was better than several of the other girls, like Didi and Lilly, who I think was way overpraised by the judges. Tim Urban should have gone, again. John Park has a really good voice, but he chooses bad songs and is boring when he sings them. I would have kept him over Tim,though.
Haeley, bless her heart, was awful and deserved to go. I thought she should have gone last week and to tell you the truth, I dont know how she got in the top 24 to begin with. I didnt watch the audition shows or Hollywood week, so maybe she did something good there, but its hard for me to believe that there werent much better singers than her out there they could have kept.
It was good to see Danny Gokey again, and I liked the song he sang, but did he drink a couple of gallons of Red Bull or something before he performed, because he was jacked up and way to talkative. Did you see Ryan just kind of hang back and let him rave?
Last nights group number was especially dreary. It was so boring and listless that I cant even remember what the song was. There has got to be a better use for the time that is wasted on these weekly train wrecks.
And lastly, it seems that Tim Urban has staked out an early claim to being this years Megan Joy, someone who cant sing or perform, yet, inexplicably continues to hang around.

March 05 2010 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to NightOwl's comment
MSBNYY

Ultimately, this is the least talented group of contestants they ever had. I think out of 44 performances, I liked at most, 5. That's awful.

A shame since last year was the MOST talented group of contestants they ever had.

March 05 2010 at 10:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
caiuslupus

Wonder who Simon was talking about when he said that he regretted praising some people last night? I'm betting on Michelle.

John had the charisma of a dead fish, even less than the rest of the males except for Big Mike. Really, I don't even know their names, just call them Mike and the 11 (now 7) dwarves. Neck Tattoo Dwarf, Beefcake Dwarf, Moptop Dwarf... and the others. The women are just better (well, several of them.)

March 05 2010 at 4:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply