April 19, 2014

'Grey's Anatomy' - 'Perfect Little Accident' Recap

by Michael Pascua, posted Mar 5th 2010 3:28AM
The cast of Greys deal with a patient.
(S06E16) I don't understand why it took 'Grey's Anatomy' fifteen minutes to run the credits on the bottom of the screen. They even included Katherine Heigl's name, and she didn't show up in the episode. How does that woman still get top billing? It's great that Izzie wasn't around, she would have been one too many. Luckily, the two mousy women weren't around in this episode. Do all four Mercy Westers ever show up together anymore?

I have a feeling that this week the writers took a step backwards. There were a lot of funny moments, mostly led by Cristina, but some of the plotline wasn't the strongest. The patients of the week didn't steer the doctors in any direction like previous weeks. Instead, the three patients followed the title, and one little accident changed their lives for the better.

After trying to help Bailey out with a date, Arizona turns to the next available person: Teddy. I could understand why people wouldn't like Arizona, but she brings a light quality to a usually depressing show. I appreciated that they referred to Holidaze and Owen playing the guitar at the Christmas party. Any time the writers include lines like that, I feel like they are actually attempting a cohesive storyline. Then the writers have to destroy a perfectly good storyline: Arizona mentoring Alex. He had all the potential to be a good pediatric doctor, then Arizona tosses that because Alex had sex with Callie years ago before Arizona was even around? That's quite immature for someone who saw the potential of Alex as a doctor.

Cristina goes rogue after Lexie suggests a very complicated lung transplant. Somehow Teddy is roped in, but is upset that people are driven by paperweight awards. Knowing Cristina, if she overheard the conversation with Lexie, and Harper Avery wasn't around, she still would have done the surgery. The surgery did save their patient. Ironically, you know that this surgery will probably not be awarded some Harper Avery Award, even though it was harder -- or that Teddy will not accept the award.

We find out that Jackson, like Meredith, came from a legacy of famous surgeons. Unlike Meredith, Jackson had the opportunity to learn from his grandfather, Harper, but wanted to be his own man. The thought was respectable, being stuck in the shadow of your forefathers, but he learned that he should still sit down and learn from his grandfather. I found it great that the hubris of Dr. Harper Avery caused his downfall. If he was treated like a normal patient and went under, there would have been no complications.

Speaking of legacy, I'm really disappointed with Dr. Webber. In all reality, this high ranking guy could go to another hospital and succeed. Instead, he sticks himself back into Seattle Grace and makes a fool of himself, trying to prove his worth to Dr. Avery Sr. He should just move on or switch to doing research and let Derek lead the hospital.

Callie had to balance a mother with a broken leg and trying to hold back Mark. I like having Callie become the voice of reason for Mark, but it's almost a shame that he didn't need her while Lexie was around. Now that he's single again, Callie has to revert back to trying to get him to grow up again. It makes me wonder how Callie would have done as the Chief of Surgery, because she has been more firm with Mark than Derek has ever been.

As for the minor nuances, the lung that was created was surprisingly believable, or at least really cool to see over a big glass dome. With Lexie having blond hair, she looks closer to being a believable half-sister to Meredith. This episode was really "let's be mean to Alex day," wasn't it? After Izzie left, he doesn't catch any breaks anymore. I like seeing how the baseball field has become that alternate to the show stereotypically ending in the bar, Meredith's house, or the elevator; though let's hope it doesn't get over-abused. Finally, kudos to the writer who had Christina taking a picture of her with Dr. Avery Sr. on her phone.

While we didn't see enough of Bailey in this episode, it looks like she'll be around a lot for the next episode. How did you like the episode? Leave comments below.

[Find clips and full episodes of 'Greys Anatomy' at SlashControl.]

Added

Great review. I like the level-headed Callie too. I loved the Mer Chris interaction. Arizona and Mark dumping on Alex was a bit much but he has given as good as he got in the past so he'll be ok. Also I think that Arizona will accept him back into the peds fold in a few eps. She just had to let him know that she knows what happened. I loved the scene on the baseball field. The cast is really great when there are a group of them together. FYI Sandra Oh added the cell phone pic on her own. It wasn't in the script. Brilliant!

March 07 2010 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Celeste Lavezzari

In my opinion, George was FINALLY given the proper story line to grow his character. Too bad he wanted off the show. Miss him a lot. Izzie's character should and needs to be gone...cmon, stage 4 metastatic melonoma of the brain and living with it???? Almost quit the show with the Denny dead guy stuff. "I am here for you" line was pretty awful. Plus her almost weekly rah rah lectures.....sick of them. Get McSteamy and Lexie back together now!!!! Thank you for Christina, and Bailey and the Lifetime channel for the reruns. Now let's start thinking of how the show is going to end because it has to be coming soon.

March 05 2010 at 11:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
goggo

i felt there was something off about this episode. im not sure if it was the lighting or the camera work? everything had a completely different feel to it, seemed a little slimy.

March 05 2010 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica

I don't think the show is that bad. I mean when I first used to watch it I would cry almost every episode whether happy or sad tears. Now I get a little teary eyed once in a while, but not how I used to. Dr. Webber need to be established in this show. You barely ever seen him. And as for "little grey", I love her hair blonde. She looks sexier than ever. And whoever says that Mark Sloan is their least favorite now is rediculous, how can someone that sexy not be liked? But, as for the cast being too big now is true. Too many people, too many stories.

March 05 2010 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dawn

p.s. i also miss george.. Izzie too ... perhaps equal scripting for characters rather than soapopera hours on 1-2 characters ...

March 05 2010 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dawn

throw out the Blonde hair... as for the heavy eye make up??? i am hoping the the hospital acquires a code for that!!!! I know lighten up its only a tv show but she looks horrible also if i had a nurse attending me i would be afraid a couple of eyelashs would fall into my wound or drinking water hohoho

March 05 2010 at 5:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lola

I'd gotten away from watching Grey. Last season was enough, but tuned in to see what was going on. 1) didn't recognize Lexie at first. The blonde may be okay, but the too dark eye makeup is distracting. I had to "re-recognize" her in each of her scenes. 2) Avery-yes, Christina-yes, Avery and Christina-maybe; 3) Arizona should re-think Alex, but he would have to keep his "what-is-he-about" persona. That's what makes him Alex.

March 05 2010 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
April

I like Arizona, she reminds me of how Izzie used to be except of course she's gay which makes her better in my book. I love the blond hair on Lexie. There was just one thing about this episode that has me worried. Is Jackson going to take Meridith's advice and leave to work under his grandfather? I hope not for one he is beautiful to look at and I think he makes a good foil to Yang and is the only Mercy Wester I can stand. I Also think him and Lexie would be good for each other

March 05 2010 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

I'm so glad they spent all last season showing character development for Mark only this year to have him revert back to every single thing he used to be and was trying to change from. Having sex with that patient's daughter? I never thought I'd say this but... Mark is probably one of my least favorite right now. And I completely agree. I can't stand Lexie with blonde hair. God, this show is just so horrible now.

March 05 2010 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrumpyOldMan

Where was Everwood girl doctor this week? And little Grey needs to lose the blonde hair.

March 05 2010 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply