October 21, 2014

'Caprica' - 'Know Thy Enemy' Recap

by Brad Trechak, posted Mar 6th 2010 1:06AM
Caprica(S01E06) Yes, that was James Marsters (Spike from 'Buffy' and 'Angel') with the brunette hair and the distinctly non-British accent. The fangirls get a moment to squeal before we continue.

Tonight's episode was a lot of set-up and/or continuation of previous storylines. It didn't feel like anything major happened. There are only three episodes left in the season after tonight, so the only conclusion to be reached is that the creators are thinking beyond the first season.

I didn't even notice before tonight that Eric Stoltz's character was sporting a soul patch. He's quite the hipster. Plus, how is it that Caprica, a planet millions and billions of light-years away, has cucumbers, carrots and peppers? What are the odds? Are they available on every planet? Next they'll have cows.

The entire Vergis vs. Graystone feud is reminiscent of the heyday of Bill Gates versus Steve Jobs in Silicon Valley. Who was the good guy again? Oh, that's right. Neither of them. There doesn't appear to be a good guy here either. The knowledge that his act caused the deaths of two people is eating away at Graystone. Vergis seems to only be playing a hunch but I think this entire subplot is only beginning.

Note to all evil scientists out there: if you're going to invent a "swipe drive," try not to have the glaring lights on it that let everyone know exactly what's going on. It's amazing Sister Clarice wasn't busted on the spot. The drunkenness of Amanda Graystone probably helped to conceal her theft. Why didn't Cylon Zoe notice? Or did she?

The whole human/robot relationship is cute and in many ways creepy. Granted, Zoe still believes herself to be a teenage girl or woman or whatever, but in her current form, having sex with the lab technician would probably kill the guy. She does have pretty nimble fingers in that body if she can operate a keyboard, so that's something. Their society has probably never had to deal with robosexuality before. Soon there will be robot-to-human and robot-to-robot dating sites. In fact, there already is. Next there will be a big legal push to allow marriage between robots and humans, but it will be overturned by Proposition 8.

It's difficult to present an opinion of James Marsters' character or appearance. It was a pretty strong opening (and fake out. The audience was supposed to think he was shooting heroin and not wrapping barbed wire around his arm). Sadly, he didn't get much screen time beyond that. Hopefully we'll be seeing Barnabas again soon.

It's nice to know that along with vegetables, Caprica also has that annoying plastic packaging that electronics come in. The sheer frustration of trying to get those damn things open probably started the first Cylon war.

How long has it been since the MAGLEV bombing? Obviously, it's too soon for Joseph Adama to start getting involved with another woman (particularly wearing such an interesting hat). What a shame.

The show remains strong, and the odds are it will get a second season. I'm rooting for it.

Hank

You never watched BSG, did you? They have carrots, peppers, and all those things WE have because the premise of BSG is that the events occurred in humanity's PAST. These are supposed to be our ancestors, therefore, it's no surprise that they have similar vegetables to what we have. Are you going to question why they look so human, next?

March 08 2010 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

Reusing actors is nothing new, why not work/cast people you've previously had experience with? Never watched Dragnet or Twilight Zone before I take it? Law and Order either? One week you'll be a pharmacist the next a lawyer or a CEO.
And I'm sure the actors think "well I've worked with you before, I'm not doing anything atm either but no I don't want a paycheck since some people out there will complain I shouldn't be on."

March 07 2010 at 3:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elementus

It's actually not a season finale coming up. SciFi does mid-season breaks. It'll be back in the Fall for the rest of Season 1.

March 06 2010 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex99

Now realistically...

This whole series is setup. We know exactly what is going to happen in the future. Without totally trouncing the BSG canon the writers only have so much room to play in. So far, they are crafting a meticulous, intricate environment, and I am enjoying every moment of it. I don't care that there aren't space battles and explosions every week. With scenes featuring the quiet, mounting tension of Sam and Amanda in the car in "Gravedancing", I couldn't ask for more.

Oh, and I care not about previous BSG actors in smaller roles here. I can see past the actor to the character, as long as they are good. Same thing as Teryl Rothery from SG1 now appearing as Evelyn in "Caprica".

March 06 2010 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
themothchase

Oh, I noticed the soul patch last week...but I think it looks so corny. He's so stylish otherwise - it pulls apart the whole look!

So I'm struck by the similarity between the name Philomon and the name, Philemon, a slave owner in the New Testament who is called to love (but not necessarily set free) his slave...as Philomon on the show moves towards possibly falling in love with the zoe-bot who will contribute to the enslavement of robots, it makes me wonder if they are playing with some of these themes?

Check out my blog post on this episode at http://themothchase.wordpress.com

March 06 2010 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phoenix

I definitely agree that this was more setup than anything. I have to compare this to BSG, even though I don't want to, but, seriously, WTF? It's time for them to take some cues from BSG and actually have at least one overarching plot; three episodes from the season finale should *not* be when you start to introduce even more new concepts. I really loved "Dollhouse" and I'm going to miss it terribly, but even I can admit that "Caprica" is sharing its problem: the first season is pointless. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying every episode...but what's the point? What questions are we supposed to be asking? I really hope that it gets a second season, but we really need a bad guy at this point.

Also, one minor point: STOP using BSG actors in "Caprica!" If Cap is supposed to be a prequel to BSG, how does it make any sense to use the same actors? The actress who plays Kat was a *huge* mistake; she's a great actress but she is also a huge storyline in the first three seasons of BSG, haunting Starbuck so much that she indirectly leads to her death. And now, the guy who plays Vergis was a commander on the Battlestar Pegasus. Is there a shortage of sci-fi actors or something? This is a little bit *too* much suspension of disbelief for me.

March 06 2010 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The1337

The episode was definitely setup for the last three episodes of the half season, so it was kind of disappointing to see no new development except for the addition of Vergis and Barnabus. Even still, their characters weren't developed to the point where we saw past their initial purpose. Vergis is just Daniel's nemesis and Barnabus is the STO operative who's a bit kooky.

Review of the episode on my blog:

March 06 2010 at 9:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply