December 18, 2014

Who's Coming and Going on 'Desperate Housewives'?

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 6th 2010 9:55AM
desperate_housewives_cast_white_setMarc Cherry, the creator of 'Desperate Housewives,' would probably appreciate this reference. In the 1932 Oscar-winning movie 'Grand Hotel' -- which became a Tony-winning musical on Broadway -- one character, Dr. Otternschlag, who lives at the hotel and observes the action, comments wryly, "People come and go. Nothing ever happens." Of course, a zillion things happen; he's just unaware from his perch in the lobby.

Wisteria Lane is like that. From some neighbor's point of view, nothing happens. However, as viewers, we know better! And as for the people come and go, well, that's abundantly clear with the news this week.

Entertainment Weekly's Michael Ausiello had two major casting items about the ABC drama. Emmy-winner Drea de Matteo is leaving 'Desperate Housewives' and Dana Delany might be out, too.

In Drea's case, the exit is voluntary and planned. Cherry reported that her role was a one-year only commitment. Drea Matteo's a New Yorker and wants to be back in the city with her family. Therefore, Cherry's story about Angie Bolen was meant to be a mystery that would evolve for the season, with the climax coming in May sweeps. John Barrowman's character is, reportedly, the key to her exit.

As for Dana Delany (who's also an Emmy-winner), she's in the proverbial cat-bird seat. ABC has a pilot in production called 'Bodies of Evidence' that would top-line Delany as a medical examiner who was formerly a neurosurgeon. The deal is that if 'Bodies of Evidence' gets picked up, Delany would leave 'Housewives' for the new show. How she would be written out and what would happen to Katherine is still to be determined. If the pilot is a wash-out, she can stay on 'DH.'

Boy, pretty soon we'll need a scorecard to keep up with the changes on 'Desperate Housewives.' You see what I mean, people come and go ... Fortunately, a lot happens!

Heather

Heather Locklear would be good on DH.

April 06 2010 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrumpyOldMan

No!!! You can't give us delicious lesbianism, and then take it away from us!!!

March 08 2010 at 9:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

The funny thing is, I think Drea de Matteo could have fit the mould for an Edie-ish type character. Of course, she's not a slut, but she doesn't have that bitchy straightforwardness than made Sheridan's character likable. Besides, I've really liked de Matteo on Housewives.

I honestly wish Delaney would go. I never liked her character and I still don't. And take the horribly acted stripper out with you.

As for Bree, I've liked her storylines. I didn't like how they took Orson, mutilated him and then tried to put him back together, but Bree has been fleshed out a lot these past two seasons. Following the affair, she's trying to repair her dignity (something a character like Gabrielle would never do).

I'm not understanding the criticism lately. I've enjoyed both season 5 and 6. Sure, Neal McDonough's mystery was beyond inflated, but I've liked de Matteo's story. I just hate the way episodes are being scheduled this spring. One here, then one three weeks later, then one 2 weeks after that. It's no doubt a factor in the current ratings dip (along with the competition with Olympics, Golden Globes, etc.). I thought they learned from season's 2 sporadic schedule. Guess not.

March 06 2010 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Michael's comment
Michael

Sorry, I mean de Matteo *does* have that straighforwardness that made Edie likable.

March 06 2010 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Val

I miss Edie on the show. I need some excitement. So far this season has been just okay for me. Unfortunately, I really do not like Bree's story line and I used to love her. *sigh*. :0/

March 06 2010 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Val's comment
Isabelle Carreau

Edie won't be back. But the show is looking to cast a potentially recurring character to take the void left by Edie's death. So at least we may get a funny, spicy character such as Edie coming on.

March 06 2010 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply