December 21, 2014

'24' - '2:00AM - 3:00AM' Recap

by Mike Moody, posted Mar 9th 2010 6:40AM
fox 24 recap
Hour eleven had its share of "WTF" moments, but it also delivered some fine dark drama, a few gripping scenes, and a crazy shot of a guy blowing up right in front of Jack Bauer's face.

Renee sat this one out, and Dana's frustrating B-plot ate up a good chunk of the hour, but I still had a blast with this episode of '24'. Spoilers after the jump.

Et tu, Tarin?

Most of you probably saw this one coming, but I was actually a little surprised to learn that Tarin was the mastermind behind all the evil IRK craziness. The switch rang pretty false. Tarin has been subtly played up as a good guy all season. He seemed noble and personally committed to protecting Hassan and his family. Revealing him to be a terrorist leader felt like a cheap move. I'm interested to hear what you guys thought about this development. Did you suspect Tarin from the start? Does this switch make sense to you?

So Tarin's a traitor. Fine, I'll accept it. Like I've said before, you either go with '24' or you don't. At least this means we'll get to see the talented T.J. Ramini play a bad guy and do all kinds of bad stuff as the season progresses. Something tells me he'll make a great baddie. I think it's the eyes.

The oxygen chamber plot was edge of your seat stuff, at times anyway. It's good to see that '24' can still deliver some truly tense moments. It's also good to see that Grandpa Jack hasn't turned into a complete softie. He threatened to expose Marcos' mom to radiation poisoning if he didn't give himself up. I thought the threat was believable enough. Mare Winningham and Rami Malek (Marcos) did a fine job with their scenes together. Unlike Tarin's Mr. Hyde move, Marcos decision to give himself up seemed pretty believable. But this thread still ended in tragedy, with the IRK blowing Marcos up and CTU delivering the bad news about Tarin to Hassan.

So I guess Hassan has every reason to be paranoid now. His brother tried to have him killed, he was right about Tarin, and the President is ready to bomb his country. He needs comfort from is wife more than ever now. Good thing she's back with him, for the moment at least. I'm almost certain that one member of this family won't make it through the season alive. Despite the chilling preview for next week, something tells me mommy might end up biting it.

Dana and Cole got off pretty light, considering they were missing for almost two hours during an emergency situation. Dana got demoted, putting Chloe in charge (yay!), and Cole was dropped right back into the field, just like he never left. But Dana's dark past isn't through haunting her just yet. Kevin's parole officer – or is he? – is ready to complicate her life even further. This storyline is still a snoozer for me, but it's nice to see Stephen Root working again, and it looks like he's having fun with this character. Here's hoping he makes this B-plot worth watching.

Mack Swift

Stephen Root's character isn't a parole officer. He's a bookie or some hitman. I think this sub-plot does something that seriously undermines Jack's mission and its Cole's fault.

I THINK I figured out the big twist for this season. I don't think these guys are IRK agents at all. I think they're Israeli Mossad masquerading (or IRK agents that turn-coated to the Mossad). They blow up the dirty bomb or get close to it and Jack and CTU find out its all an Israeli plot for the US to attack the IRK and destroy its nuclear capabilities.

March 11 2010 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

The best part was Nazneen Contractor (Kayla), who looked so good as she glistened after a session of lovemaking.

March 11 2010 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JennyL

I stopped watching three weeks ago. Just stopped by to say, "fire Brannon Braga."

March 10 2010 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

Anyone else notice the parole officer was named Bill Prady, also the name of executive producer of The Big Bang Theory?

March 09 2010 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Holtzinger

The Dana sub-plot is so false. No woman could be as smart and talented as she is purported to be as a member of CTU and at the same time as timid, spineless and downright stupid in her relationships with men. She is simply not believable as a character. I fast forward through all her scenes.

March 09 2010 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

love Mare Winningham

March 09 2010 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

-The oxygen tank moment were just good television right to the end when Jack wound up with a bit of Marcus on him.

-Tarin being bad was a bit obvious and cliche but the actor played the turn well as did Slumdog's daughter.

-I will be happy if Tarin holds the daughter hostage for 10 million rupees. Just because it makes Anil Kapoor have to say "for 10 million rupees!" again. Because I'm bored with this season and have reduced myself to Slumdog Millionaire references while he is on screen.

-Milton isn't a parole officer. Kevin took his red stapler and Milton wants it back. And if Dana doesn't help him get it back he will b-b-burn down CTU.

March 09 2010 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

The I-don't-have-enough-time-to-disarm-you scene was straight outta Hurt Locker.

March 09 2010 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MSBNYY

It's not just running the same premise. It's running tired plots which have been done more originally, and better, by better writers.

Like it or not, Brannon Braga is a no talent hack, and the fact that he keeps getting some sort of good old boy employment is mindboggling.

People are harping on the Dana subplot because it is dragging down the season. Badly. They never did anything so bad.

The oxygen chamber thing WAS good--mostly because that's where Jack was. He just didn't do his thing quickly enough. And the good guy turning into a bad guy has been done before, many times on this show, most recently Tony Almeida last season.

He was good, then bad, then good, then bad again.

This season hasn't been ups and downs. It's been mostly downs, and yes, you have to blame the writing staff, especially with a writer like Braga whose history of destroying great shows precedes him.

They almost refilmed a scene from Lethal Weapon this year for crying out loud.

I agree you don't need full realism on this show. But you do need compelling plots and original concepts. This show hasn't been right since the end of Season 5, but at least season 6 had decent action. Seasons 7-8 have been way below the high standards this show has set, but Season 8 is the worst by far. Between this and a terrible group of singers on American Idol, it's been a lousy winter for Fox.

At least Lost still rocks.

March 09 2010 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MSBNYY's comment
pgeiger

They never did anything so bad.

How soon we forget the cougar.

March 09 2010 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tobias

I haven't been watching 24 faithfully, but I've found some of the episodes interesting, although a bit trite.

March 09 2010 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply