'American Idol' - 'Top 8 Girls Compete' Recap

by Jane Boursaw, posted Mar 9th 2010 10:12PM
American Idol - Top 8 Girls
We start things out with an awkward scene of Ellen sitting on Simon's lap and making out with him. But as Ryan said, Ellen's taken. And so is Simon, apparently. Oh, and I really like Kara's straight hair, and whoa! We jump right into performances. Follow me after the jump...

Katie Stevens ('Breakaway').
She does a pretty good job, but it's a little karaoke. And of course, it's hard not to compare her to Kelly Clarkson, who had such a big hit with this song. Randy Jackson said as much: "It paled in comparison, and it's almost like karaoke to me." Ellen loved that Katie came back with a young song, but she didn't really feel it: "It's a singing competition, but let's see some personality." Kara said Katie has a great radio voice, but she doesn't really know who she is as an artist. Simon agreed, noting, "You haven't worked out what kind of an artist you want to be ... and you kind of sucked ... the energy out of it and made it a bit gloomy." I'm glad he added that little bit at the end, instead of just saying it sucked. Katie said she IS trying to break away because she comes from a small town. And what the hell, judges, you asked me to sing a young song, but then you knock it down! (Those are my words, reading between Katie's polite comments.)

Sioban Magnus ('House of the Rising Sun').
She starts off slow with no backup music, which is interesting. I really like it, and she's making it her own. We'll see if the judges agree with me. Randy said, "I love what you do because you take every risk and every chance ... keep doing it, because it's hot!" Ellen was captivated and called her "spectacular." Kara loved the "acapella vibe at the front ... I really liked it tonight." Simon wasn't as big a fan of the song, calling it all "a bit weird" and "you didn't do anything different with the song." What?! It was completely different!

Lacey Brown ('The Story'). I LOVE this. Adam Lambert fans will probably slay me for this comment (bring it, people!), but it seems like a little bit of a "moment," like some of his from last season. It seems to come from her heart, she does it effortlessly, and it's just awesome. Randy called it "a little sleepy," but thought it was her best performance to date. Ellen loved it, Kara called it "effortless" (yes!), and Simon didn't "love love" the song, but said "you sang it really well."

Katelyn Epperly ('I Feel the Earth Move'). Oh man, she's standing up playing a keyboard and even has her hair like Carole King. How weird is that? She does an ok job with the song, but I can't get past the whole Carole King thing. Randy didn't feel a connection, though she sang it well enough. Ellen said it wasn't a great song to wow people with. Kara said Katelyn was just going through the motions, and Simon said it was like "request night at a restaurant." I think Katelyn might be gone by next week.

Didi Benami ('Rhiannon'). I still love her Duffy-like voice, and this song was a good choice, though it sort of faded off dreamily at the end. Maybe too dreamily. Randy said it was "a whole lot better than last week," but no wow moment. Ellen loved that Didi came back after being torn apart last week. "You're always gonna be torn apart by somebody, so you have to get back up and sing again." Kara said it was "one of my favorite moments of the show this season." Simon agrees with Kara, calling it "head and shoulders above anything else we've heard tonight."

Paige Miles ('Smile'). She seems a little nervous at the beginning, not to mention pitchy. Randy said "it just didn't work," and said it seemed like a banquet song with the bossa nova. Ellen said it was sad and heavy, rather than uplifting. Simon agreed with the others and hated the arrangement. "It was the sort of thing you'd hear in a Holiday Inn in 1974." He called it a "peanut song," where people would be in a bar eating peanuts and not paying attention. I fear for Paige this week.

Crystal Bowersox ('Give Me One Reason'). As usual, Crystal wows me with her performance of the Tracy Chapman classic. At this point, Crystal is so far above the other contestants that there's really no comparison. She's effortless, and I love the electric guitar. She could easily win the competition. Randy loved it, loved the honesty, "I'm a fan." Ellen said she needs new adjectives for Crystal, calling it the "best performance of the night." Kara loved the song choice and is starting to see what kind of album Crystal would make. Simon said she's "one million billionth percent going to be in the Top 12 next week ... It's yours to lose." Go, Crystal!

Lilly Scott ('I Fall to Pieces'). Interesting. I'm not as big a fan of Lilly's as some of the judges, but she's definitely different. Plus, I'm distracted by the scrunchies she's wearing as earrings. Randy loved the mandolin and the song, calling Lilly "in the zone." Ellen loved her voice and originality. Kara said she made Patsy Cline feel current and contemporary. Simon said she's very brave to choose that song on a night like this, and felt it didn't have "the wow factor."

Tomorrow Night: The Top 8 Guys with Kona!

Which of the Top 8 Girls gave the best performance?
Crystal Bowersox803 (62.4%)
Katelyn Epperly10 (0.8%)
Lilly Scott24 (1.9%)
Paige Miles7 (0.5%)
Didi Benami133 (10.3%)
Sioban Magnus231 (18.0%)
Katie Stevens30 (2.3%)
Lacey Brown48 (3.7%)

NightOwl

Crystal and Sioban were great, but, to me, everyone else was forgettable. No one else gave a solid performance from start to finish. To many problems with pitch and just missed notes. Katie has a good voice, but the song she picked was in too low of a register for her voice at the beginning. She should have chosen a different song or reworked it to suite her voice. Lacey has a limited voice that will make it hard for her to compete as time goes on. Katelyn is one of my least favorites this year for some reason. Her hair looks awful and I didnt notice any difference this week than in previous shows. Its just a big, curly, shaggy mess. Didi still reminds me of Megan Joy from last season, except she sings and performs much better. Paige was just awful, I agree it was the wrong song for her voice, and she looked very uncomfortable. I still dont understand all the love from the judges for Lilly. Their comments on her performances are always at complete odds with what I hear. I havent liked any of her songs so far.
I would vote for Paige and Katelyn to go home.

March 11 2010 at 8:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patti

I think Lilly Scott butchered the Patsy Cline song. That was one of the worst renditions I've ever heard. My cat can sing better than that. Patsy herself must have rolled over in her grave. I was totally surprised that the judges thought that was anywhere near good. 'That, my friends, was utter rubbish' is what I expected Simon to say, but Ellen sitting on his lap must have clouded his judgement.

March 11 2010 at 12:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debbie

I love Crystal, Lilly and Sioban, Katelyn, Didi, Lacey, Paige, and Katie not so much. We already see what Crystal would do, Lilly is talented as well, Sioban has the bigger pipes than those two, I did not agree with Simon regarding Sioban performance. I loved it. Crystal I always enjoy, along with Lilly, I love that she covered a Patsy Cline song. She has some guts. I feel that Paige and Katelyn are going home tomorrow night

March 10 2010 at 10:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry

I noticed Simon sitting on Kara's lap too. I was so obvious and weird to watch. I guess since he's leaving the show next year he just doesn't care.

March 10 2010 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carolyn

I have loved Crystal from the beginning...and became a fan of Lilly & Siobhan Hollywood week. Personally, I like Lacey...she's quirky and I like her voice (I know, odd person out here). I like Didi too, just don't think she has the "power" to get to the finish line. I've not been a big Katelyn fan...she's "okay" and it wouldn't bother me if she were to go home tonight. I feel though, that tonight Paige and Katie will be going home.

March 10 2010 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Slayer4915

Crystal and Siobhan all the way. They've both been consistently great and miles ahead of the other girls.

Lacey and Paige need to go. I hope Katelyn can make it through this week after a not so amazing performance. I think she has a great voice.

March 10 2010 at 10:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

My favorite of the night was Crystal Bowersox, followed by Siobhan Magnus... they both gave me goosebumps. I thought overall tonight was the best vocally, but a few stumbled with song choice/performance.

If I had to pick the girls going home, it'd be Lacey Brown (her voice is hard to listen to in my opinion) and Katie Stevens (because she has a great voice, she just doesn't know what to do with it)

The other ones I'm worried about leaving tonight are two that had the worst performances of the night... Katelyn Epperly (who took the judges corny comment too far) and Paige Miles (who chose the worst song for her big vocals)... But I'd rather see Katelyn and Paige in the Top 12, because I think they at least have a chance to wow us, I don't think that is likely to happen with Lacey or Katie at this point. But it all comes down to who has the voting blocks.

March 10 2010 at 9:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Safe: Didi and Crystal

Disappointing last night but probably safe: Sioban and Lilly

Very good last night but perhaps too little too late: Lacey

In trouble: Katie, Katelyn and Paige

March 10 2010 at 9:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SISSERS

Crystal was amazing! Loved it! Paige, Katie and Katelyn are probably in trouble. Didnt love Lacey either. Not sure what the judges heard with that one? DiDi did a pretty good comeback, so think she's probably ok for another week. Wasnt that blown away by Lilly, but she was still better then most. Anna Paquin lookalike was good too. I hope she sticks around.

Yes, I also notice Simon and Kara sitting close. But didnt he do that with Paula? And who is he always winking at??

March 10 2010 at 7:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
freedom55

How inappropriate was that Ellen/ Simon thing! Lots of kids watch this show. I don't think that I am a prude but give me a break. Uncomfortable is right!
And while we are at it why does Simon have to sit so close to Kara. Watch closely, he is not even in front of his mike and he has one "cheek" on her chair. What gives?

March 10 2010 at 7:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply