July 25, 2014

Andy Richter Tells All To Kelly Ripa (Reege is on Vacation)

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 9th 2010 3:15PM
Andy RichterNo one closely involved in the Conan O'Brien/NBC chaos has spoken out on the matter, at least anyone close to Conan's side. Jeff Zucker did give an interview to Charlie Rose and Jay Leno sat down with Oprah, but Conan hasn't given an interview (he's busy on Twitter though!) so we don't know his side of things, aside from his statement that was released before everything was decided. But sidekick Andy Richter is talking, and he actually said a lot while sitting in for Regis this morning on 'Live with Regis & Kelly.'

Richter says that Conan isn't allowed on TV for a while but he's not under the same restriction (in fact, he's still under contract with NBC) so that's why he co-hosted today. You can tell Richter isn't happy with the way things went down (in fact he says he does have bad feelings towards the network and/or Leno), and a lot of the feelings we assumed he and Conan had about this seem to be pretty accurate.

I was especially happy that Richter mentioned that, yeah, the ratings for Conan's 'Tonight Show' weren't great, but that's because they had Leno as a lead-in. "It's not like the local news suddenly got worse," Richter said.

Richter didn't come out and say that there's going to be a tour, but he said it's "possible." Which means it's probably going to happen, even if the tickets that went on sale were later pulled from the Ticketmaster site.

(No video yet but the 'Live with Regis & Kelly' page will probably have it later today.)

Joyce N.

Wish I knew how to "gray-out". Seems only certain comments get that done. Anyone that disagrees with the blowhards here get wiped out.

March 11 2010 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

M, just don't hold your breath on that. FOX cares about ratings, too. OK, you can gray me out again. I'm used to it.

March 10 2010 at 6:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mkiatotx

How was Leno's 10 o'clock show any different than his version of the Tonight Show? The only thing I can think of is that he didn't have a desk. He did the same things he's been doing for years (Jay walking, headlines, boring monologues, celebrity interviews...).

I like Jay - I watched his show at 10 often but he is a little stale and not the best at what he does. I also like Conan and at 11:30 (if I was still up), I had my TV tuned to NBC. I hope Conan lands on Fox opposite the Tonight show because I'll be watching.

March 10 2010 at 9:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bubbameister33

Never saw a comment on TVsquad so grayed out.

March 10 2010 at 2:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

Mike .... I don't need a grip, thank you.

I 'll just say this. I've been a fan of Leno for a long time and have seen a great many of the Tonight Shows with him as host. I enjoyed the majority of them over the years. I used to watch The Late Show with Conan (less often) and I enjoyed his humor too. When it was announced that Jay was leaving and Conan was taking on the Tonight show, I thought okay, he's a funny guy. Except when the changeover happened, Conan just wasn't as funny anymore. What is it that's so hard to understand about ratings? I didn't watch Jay at ten because the show sucked. I didn't watch the Tonight Show anymore because Conan sucked. You like Conan and maybe you were one of the few who actually watched it. But most of these other kvetchers seemed to only watch it online and didn't get counted in the ratings. Is that Jay's fault?

NBC is a business and ratings obviously are important to them. Leno and O' Brien got cancelled because their ratings sucked. NBC went back to tried and true Leno who had great ratings on The Tonight Show.

Yes, lead-ins count. But Jay didn't always have great lead-ins M-F for 15 years, yet he was number one. People know how to work a remote and change a channel. If millions of people had wanted to watch Conan, they would have watched Conan. Do you automatically watch whatever show comes on after your local news? I don't.

If all of these Jay blamers had spent as much energy flipping to NBC to watch their beloved Conan every night to give him good or great ratings, as they spend here Jay-hating, Conan would still be on the Tonight Show.

March 09 2010 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

Man, you are really grasping at straws.

What else would Richter say but to stick up for the guy who made him a household name?

No, the local news didn't get worse, Conan did.

If only his tons of loyal fans had watched the show.....

March 09 2010 at 6:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joyce N.'s comment
Mike

Joyce, Joyce, Joyce... Seriously? You're going to do the schoolyard comeback, "nuh uh, you are!"

And you're not only going to do it, you're going to do it and not make sense.

"No, the local news didn't get worse, Conan did."

Riiiight... so, Conan was so bad, he not only damaged the ratings of the Tonight Show, but he also made the largest local markets' late local news ratings drop in the timeslot BEFORE HIM!!! Wow... didn't realize Conan was that powerful.

Leno and NBC/U would like us all to think that this was just Conan failing, but it wasn't. This was Conan being dicked from the start with Leno killing the news lead-in, which killed his lead-in.

And before you start bitching about lead-ins not being important, obviously they are... but you don't have to take my word for it... The Jay Leno Show was cancelled BECAUSE of it and no other stated reason.

NBC/U said when it cancelled Leno's show that it had performed exactly as they'd expected, but the local affiliates were hitting the roof because it was harming them having Leno as the lead-in...... So... obviously lead-in is important, and crucial... and Conan had the weakened late local news as his lead... weakened by whom? Leno... oh, yeah, that guy YOU didn't watch and support at 10, and thus they had to move him back...

Get a grip, lady.