July 22, 2014

'Brothers and Sisters' Renewed for Season Five

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 9th 2010 7:30AM
brothers_and_sisters_cast_wine_ABC
The powers that be at ABC have good reasons to be feeling good about the network's success. They've had a really good year developing some new shows, like 'Modern Family,' 'The Middle' and 'Cougar Town' -- all of which have been given a renewal for next season. And today an established drama, 'Brothers and Sisters,' was given a fifth season pickup. You know what that means, don't you? Pop the cork! Let the merlot and pinot grigio flow, the Walkers and Ojai Foods are going to continue on for another year of whining and wining.

The pickup is not particularly surprising, but in light of the recent news that Rob Lowe is exiting the show -- reportedly for a part on 'Parks and Recreation' on NBC -- and the fact that Calista Flockhart will be cutting back on her episode commitment, it's great news. You never know how these networks crunch the numbers; someone might have deemed the large ensemble too expensive for the Nielsen numbers it regularly draws.

But ABC has benefited from a stable Sunday night line up for a while. That's why 'Brothers and Sisters' renewal should signal a similar move for 'Desperate Housewives.'

With the upcoming flashback episode promising to uncover some Walker family secrets, plus the emergence of Dennis York (actor Peter Gerety) as an old enemy of William's, there'll be no lack of drama. Kitty's Senatorial campaign should also be a major story line, and could explain why Calista won't be in every episode.

Anyway you cut it, this is good news for 'Brothers and Sister' fans. Nobody was ready for the Walkers to wrap it all up this season.

JOANNE

THE BESTEST PART OF THIS SHOW IS WHEN THE WHOLE WALKER FAMILY SITS AT DINNER TABLE TO EAT----SCREAM AT EACH OTHER ITS LIKE GOING HOME AGAIN

April 28 2010 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JOANNE

I LOVE THE SHOW & DONT CARE WHO IS LEAVING THE STAR OF THE SHOW IS SALLY F. IN CASE NO ONE KNOW THAT. THE WHOLE CAST IS GOOD TO WATCH.BRING BACK TOMMY HE WAS KEY PART TO BUSINESS.

April 28 2010 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
No French lover

It was not definitely Shakespeare but it was nice to see cause of the actors. It's really a shame that ABC executives don't care for anything but ratings. And it seems that in order to maintain the rating they're relying in all the "desperate women who only care about eyecandy who watch TV". Meaning: the show is now the place where a former Sex and the city piece of meat is showing off. Besides Balthazar Getty is not yet "allowed" to be regular again and Rob and Calista are leaving. They're done with me. BYE.

April 19 2010 at 9:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim

that is the stupidest show ever, all the ever do is stutter and argue

March 12 2010 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jim's comment
JOANNE

IF U CAME FROM MY ITALIAN FAMILY U WOULD GET THIS SHOW

April 28 2010 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diva

Yeah!

March 10 2010 at 5:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WorldObserver

VERY DISAPPOINTED THAT ROB LOWE IS LEAVING & CALISTA FLOCKHART ROLE WILL BE MINIMAL. THEY ARE TWO KEY CHARACTERS IN THE SHOW. AS AN ASIDE, I WISH THEY WOULD CUT THE RED LIPS & BLUSH PINK CHEECKS ON KEVIN - WE "GET" IT - HE'S THE LADY IN THE RELATIONSHIP WITH SCOTTIE! BUT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! I'D RATHER LOWE STAY & KEVIN'S LIPSTICK BE CUT!

March 10 2010 at 1:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to WorldObserver's comment
JOANNE

KEVIN IS THE LADY? O THANKS I NEVER NOTICED.LOL YEH U R RIGHT NO MORE PINK CHEEKS I LOVE THE SHOW ALSO BOTH MEN DO THIER PARTS IN GOOD TASTE

April 28 2010 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cj

Sometimes I start to get bored with the show, then something gets interesting and brings me back. I can't believe Rob Lowe would go to "Parks & Recreation"...never could get into that show. It's not even funny.

March 09 2010 at 11:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dkrisher0

Soooo glad it is still on ABC's radar, as well as many Americans who wish to watch a great acted drama rather than reality TV. Keep rocking! And to the writers...fantastic job!!

March 09 2010 at 11:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kay

I will watch "Brothers and Sisters" forever if Gilles Marini stays on. He is so good to look at and an excellant actor. Will definitely miss Rob Lowe, though.

March 09 2010 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dolores S

I watched Bros & Sisters from the beginning...but found it boring after a while...watched every so often. I'm thrilled Rob Lowe will be on Parks and Recreations..I love that show! We need more comedy and humor, especially in the times that our country is now experiencing. I'm 72 and dont need more drama in my entertainment..I've had enough in my own life that I could create a television series. I would have hoped that Getty would have come back to the show as Tommy. Didn't like the manner in which this was handled..the wife left town...come on, when you take marriage vows, it's for better or worse.
I wish them the best, but please a little more laughter, life is too short for vindictiveness and soooooooooo much
drama