October 25, 2014

Jean Smart Joins 'Hawaii Five-O'

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 9th 2010 1:01PM
jean_smart_fox_24The other day when it was announced that Scott Caan would be Danno on 'Hawaii Five-O,' it struck me that this new revamped version of the CBS crime drama was going to be fast-tracked for the fall. It just seems like 'Hawaii Five-O' is this pilot season's 'NCIS: Los Angeles' -- a veritable sure thing.

It's even more of a mortal lock today with this addition to the cast: Jean Smart will be joining 'Hawaii Five-O' as Hawaii Governor Pat Jameson. She will be the one person to whom Steve McGarrett has to answer. This is a direct link back to the original series, in which Jack Lord as McGarrett reported to the Governor, then played by Richard Denning.

In keeping with the advent -- the rise -- of women in politics, co-writers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci and executive producer Peter Lenkov, decided that it would be more accurate to cast a woman in the role. Move over, Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi, not to mention President Allison Taylor on '24.' This will be a formidable character and a dynamic woman was needed.

Jean Smart, fortunately, is that kind of an actress. She's a firecracker. She most recently won an Emmy for 'Samantha Who,' and was twice nominated for her incendiary performance as First Lady Martha Logan on Fox's '24.'

According to the story in The Hollywood Reporter, Jean's character is from Hawaii, but she has a "Washingtonian's backbone" and is a completely honest politician. That should be great for a maverick like McGarrett.

ron w

I have no issue of them doing a remake of this television icon, BUT with the "caveat" as long as they stick to the concept of the original series.

As with movies, all too often, a current day director takes a classic like this and for some reason thinks they have to make "major" adjustments to reach a current day audience totally ignoring what made the original series successful and invariably end up "butchering" the whole presentation! Just remember there are many "baby boomers" out there who watched the original series.

If these ideas are shunted aside, the series will be short lived.

March 20 2010 at 8:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
johngaltx

Hope they bring back that old computer; "the steel brain", that took up a room the size of a warehouse!

March 10 2010 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maureen

Alex O'Loughlin, Daniel Dae Kim, Taryn Manning, Grace Park, Scott Caan and Jean Smart are going to make Hawaii Five-O a successful fast-tracked crime drama for the 2010 season on CBS. In fact, the writers, producers and director are also top-notched. This new modern-day Hawaii Five-O, with its interesting and intriguing characters and stories, is going to make history again.

March 10 2010 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Radiant

I believe that Hawaii Five-O's current actors are superb and will become CBS's next new hit crime drama, fast-paced, modern and fascinating characters and story lines. I am extremely excited and anxious to watch the new Hawaii Five-O for the fall season of 2010. Filming has already began in Oahu this week. Best wishes and good luck to cast, writers, producers, director and crew.

March 10 2010 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I'm not sure why casting a woman in the role was even a decision considering our current Governor in Hawaii is a woman in the first place.

March 09 2010 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bianca33

This show will be awesome! I can't wait to see all its talented actors, but in particular, Alex O'Loughlin.

March 09 2010 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Bianca33's comment
audreyd

I agree Bianca33, Alex is soooo HOT, remember how he looked in LA at the premiere of TBUP. I can't wait for CBS to pick up this new version of Hawaii Five-0 and see Alex in action, it is going to be totally awesome.

April 28 2010 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary

I'm not sure where they're going with this casting. Each one is a question mark in my book. As much as I love Jean Smart, I can't see her in this role.

March 09 2010 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cat

I like Jean Smart, she's a favorite of mine going back to Designing Women, but I won't be watching the show. Nowadays, t.v. is a tool used for social conditioning, so updating this classic to a "modern" drama will undoubtedly mean the inclusion of political correctness and the advancement of social agendas/ideologies. And I'd bet that it will be darker and grittier, with more graphic violence, too.

I'll pass on that, and just stay with the DVD's of the original.

March 09 2010 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrumpyOldMan

I loves me some Jean Smart.... she was so hot in "Snow Day".

March 09 2010 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Jean Smart on Hawaii Five-0?

Perfect.