July 25, 2014

'NCIS' - 'Double Identity' Recap

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 9th 2010 11:28PM
NCIS_CBS_Tony_Ziva
(S07E17)
The most important aspect of this 'NCIS' episode was the mystery. No, not the one about the Marine who may or may not have been MIA in Afghanistan, but the one involving Dr. Mallard and the ties. The clues had been laid out throughout the season, and tonight we learned that everything with Ducky was not as plucky as he was leading his friends to believe. More on that, the rain in D.C., and a handsome devil named Mortimer after the jump.

Unlike many other shows, 'NCIS' believes in subtlety. The Ducky story was a perfect example. The men were somewhat oblivious to the changes in Dr. Mallard, although Gibbs is too taciturn to reveal what he's thinking. Ziva and Abby, however, knew that switching from bow ties to tie ties meant something. The fact that Ducky in no other way was exhibiting odd behavior made the reveal that his mother had died all the more effective.

Rather than being grief-stricken, Ducky was acting plucky and chipper. He wasn't glad that his mother was gone; in fact, he missed her. Talking about going to 'Madame Butterfly' without her was a vivid image, and a believable one. But as a man who spends his life consumed with the dead, he accepted his 100-year-old mother had lived as long as she could. Her time had come. At the graveside, Abby shared a moment with Ducky, because she is the heart of the show. She made it a point to find out why Ducky was ducking her play date offer for Mortimer, her service puppy, and his mother's Corgis. Later, Jethro parked himself in the morgue to make sure his old friend was all right.

The main plot was about John Mayne, missing Marine, who was also Christian Wells, his newly assumed identity. He not only had two women claiming to be his spouse, he also had a vast fortune.

Everyone in the team got to show off their special skills. DiNozzo worked the women because one of his pet theories is that the wife did it. The fact that one was implicated, but didn't pull the trigger, made him partially right. McGee did the old 'All The President's Men' routine -- follow the money -- using geek expertise like a homemade app that can break into a car. And Ziva's skills as an observant investigator came through as she outdid the private eye.

All in all, another fine 'NCIS.'

Other points of interest

-- There was a lot of techno-goodies in the show. McGeek was all atwitter about the handheld mobile fingerprint ID tool, and his iPhone was super.

-- Mortimer was adorable. It was great to see Abby training a service dog. We also learned that mother's Corgis were 'wretched little dogs' to Ducky, but are now living happily with Corgi lovers.

-- Can't wait to see Dr. Mallard's new townhouse. And will we meet Sophie?

-- They never explained how Mayne got five oil drums filled with cash out of Afghanistan and into the States. Kind of a big hole in the plot.

-- The rain was a big theme in the show, but it seemed to come and go. Soon after Tony complained about the storm and thunder, the sun was out.

steph

To abbsolutekitten: The law only protects fully trained service dogs, not pups in training. I have been raising Seeing Eye pups for 5 years. Our puppies are NOT legally permitted to enter public places. We have to request permission from the store/building manager before taking our pups in. Most of the time they say yes, but if they say no we have to respect that and take them elsewhere.
Also, not sure if they are using the term "Seeing Eye" as a general term to describe any guide dog or not, but Seeing Eye is a registered trademark and may only be used in reference to dogs trained at The Seeing Eye in Morristown, NJ. If they are in fact referring to Mortimer as a Seeing Eye pup, his vest would be green, not yellow, and he would not even have it until he was 6 months old and had passed his test to earn it.

August 04 2011 at 6:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
abbsolutekitten

I agree with Alicia I thought Abby would be training a Hearing Dog I hoped it would be as I am Deaf myself and waiting to be matched with a Hearing Dog. I Disagree with zippy_zip74467 and Mike I am currently studying Forensic Science and when my Hearing Dog comes Its the Law that he has to be with me in my working place to If i did work In a Lab he/she would be with me gloves would be changed at all times and the dog would stay In one spot in a corner or under my table.

April 27 2011 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to abbsolutekitten's comment
abbsolutekitten

Also Telling someone to remove their assistance dog from their work would be Discrimination

April 27 2011 at 7:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PJ

I LOVE NCIS I love Tony, Zeva, McGee, Abby everyone and especailly Gibbs. I cant wait to get home from work for the reruns on which I think thye need more of NCIS marathon. The stories are good, maks u think, and I love the funny side to it. I do wish Tony and Zeva would let their guard down and show their real feelings if only for 2 seconds. But thank u for bringing us NCIS ITS GREAT

March 13 2010 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to PJ's comment
john

I also look forward to this show,its by far the best.I really like the interation of the actors.I heard once that a truly good actor doesnt need lines and this show has those kind of actors,miss kate but love ziva

April 27 2010 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

I just thought it was weird that Abby would be training a seeing eye dog. Since it's already been established that she has Deaf parents, wouldn't it make more sense for her to be a trainer for hearing ear dogs?

March 11 2010 at 5:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jdfrietze

Never mind how Mayne got the money out of Afghanistan; why the heck would he settle back in the DC area where his wife lived? Just shoddy writing on the main plot this week.

March 10 2010 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
johngaltx

Don't forget these are the same set of producers that switched the blond boss in the pilot of NCIS:LA for the woman from Planet of the Apes!

March 10 2010 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to johngaltx's comment
Brent McKee

With due respect to Louise Lombard, but "NCSI: LA" was incredibly lucky to get an Oscar winning actress like Linda Hunt. She's one of the few reasons I'm sticking with this show. It certainly isn't the acting stylings of Chris "my emotions almost run the gamut from A to B" O'Donnell.

March 10 2010 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zippy_zip74467

#4, I wondered the same thing.
He should feel guilty.
Also a puppy in the lab should be a no-no. That could get evidence thrown out for possible contamination.

March 10 2010 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
miles

Since Mayne died after Tony tried to interrogate him, could Tony be charged with murder?

March 10 2010 at 9:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

Good episode, i hope we see Mortimer for for the rest of the season and isn't just a throwaway for this episode, because if there is one thing that makes any show better it's an adorable puppy.

March 10 2010 at 8:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob Walley

Lily, I totally agree. My wife laughs that at least once each episode I blurt out "I love this show!"

March 10 2010 at 7:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply