July 28, 2014

'The Big Bang Theory' - 'The Precious Fragmentation' Recap

by Kona Gallagher, posted Mar 9th 2010 9:15AM
big bang theory
(S03E17) This was one of the best episodes of 'The Big Bang Theory' in a while, not because of all of the 'Lord of the Rings' references (I never got into those movies), but because the writers finally figured out a way to get all of the characters together in one plot. Even though Wolowitz and Raj furthered their weird relationship by snuggling during a nap (which was actually only in Sheldon's dream, which raises even more questions), they weren't shoved off to the side in a b-plot.

We got back to the season one dynamic of the four guys having a story, while Penny interacts with them on the periphery. Since Penny has become such a big part of the show, this won't work for every episode, but it's nice to see what made us love the show in the first place. Especially since we needed all the happy thoughts in the world to replace the image of Sheldon as Smeagol. Congrats to the makeup crew, but dear God, I never want to see that again.

This episode also illustrates my point about last week's Stan Lee episode: if you're going to have one of the gang's idols guest star, then use them. This entire episode managed to revolve around Peter Jackson and his films, yet it worked perfectly well without him in it. The Stan Lee one could have been the same, instead of just sticking him in toward the end.

But let's get to the important part of this entire thing: Sheldon's twin sister. Apparently, we met hr in season 1, but I somehow have absolutely no recollection of this. Maybe we should pretend it never happened and just proceed as though she had never been introduced. That way we can let our imaginations run wild and imagine Sheldon's perfect twin. All I can picture is a female Sheldon, but I wonder how much alike they would actually be. They don't get along, so does that mean that she's completely different from him? Maybe more like Penny? Or do they not get along because they're too much alike? Which do you want to see? Something new, or do you think the show should just stick with what they've already introduced? I feel as though the comedic possibilities are endless here.

Some of my favorite lines from this episode:

Sheldon: "Who's Adam West? Leonard, what do the two of you talk about after the coitus?"
Wolowitz: "My guess is, 'hey, four minutes! New record!"

"Okay, I'm gonna go home, make a grilled cheese and window shop on e-Harmony." - Penny

Leonard: "It should go back to Peter Jackson. He made the movies; it belongs to him."
Wolowitz: "Fine, he can have it back -- as long as he promises to make me a hobbit in his next movie."
Raj: "There are no Jewish hobbits."
Wolowitz: "Clearly, you've never been to my house for dinner on Rosh Hashana."

Wolowitz: "How's it feel to get beaten up by a girl?"
Sheldon: "It's not the first time. I have a twin sister whose assaults began in utero. If only I'd had the presence of mind to absorb her. Then I'd have a mole with hair in it, instead of a tedious yearly Christmas letter."

"I'm so glad we came to this gentile strip club! Howard, here's more bacon to tuck into the shiksa's g-string!" - Raj

john

To Kona, the review writer. How could you possibly forget Sheldon's sister. She was this hot babe that all the guys were trying to hit on.
Played by actress Courtney Henggeler. Do a google on her.

March 25 2010 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jimchig

Here's a link to see Sheldon and his sister from Season 1...

March 11 2010 at 9:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

I remember Sheldon's sister being attractive and totally unlike him. For some reason, the guest stars of this show totally stand out in my mind. And almost all are perfectly cast. The one lone exception, is the guy that works with the rest of them, has a lisp and hates Sheldon. For some reason, that character gets on my nerves. He's just not that funny.

As far as last nights episode, I thought it funny...

Sheldon kept stealing the ring from Leonard.

Raj rubbing Aquaman

Penny decking Sheldon

Leonard saying he didn't know what when on in the bathroom, but he's not cleaning it up.

March 09 2010 at 11:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CC

They had Sheldon's twin on before (what was her name, Missy?), so it wasn't some throwaway comment. She was completely different from Sheldon - pretty, sociable, etc. Actually, Sheldon is the only on in his family who is "special" (as his mom put it).

Though Missy and Sheldon are alike in some ways... they are both tall. And have brown hair. Wow, so much in common!

March 09 2010 at 9:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darren

That was an A+ episode last night! They are on a roll!

March 09 2010 at 6:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Happy Steve

Lots of laughs for me this episode. One of the biggest: "Okay everyone... plié"

March 09 2010 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beergas

Well I liked the episode as reviewed described. Nice to see the gang together even to point of Penny as waitress on sidelines at one point. She's still the struggling actress.
Yet remains the hot Victoria's Secret girl friend of every
geek's dream that could bust of the fab four w/o the awfulness of a Yokonono.
Not sure if the mention of the twin sister was a throwaway or a tease. Have to wait and see. Helps to have characters come and go. Keeps it fresh.
And yes that mirror moment at end was a grabber.

March 09 2010 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I thought the episode was funny, and I agree that it was good to have all the guys back together in one main story-line. But I also agree with the first poster, that these guys have developed so much from the first season, that this episode almost seemed like a step back in terms of that.

I've never seen more than the preview clips for the Lord of the Ring movies, so I'm sure I missed a few jokes, but thought the concept provided a bunch of fun moments.

Penny punching Sheldon in the middle of the night was down right hilarious.

AND a side note on Sheldon's twin sister: She was introduced, and she's the complete opposite of Sheldon. She's hot, not a genius and can obviously put Sheldon in his place by brute force. Having his twin be a female Sheldon, would detract from him being so different from his family, and thus special. A female Sheldon would be much better in the form of some random new-comer to the school or what-have-you.

March 09 2010 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

We met sheldon's sister in season 1, all the guys took a run at her. She is the opposite of sheldon.

March 09 2010 at 10:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Raj was deliberately speaking so Howard's mother could hear him on the phone. Raj can't talk to females. For some reason this really bothered me.

March 09 2010 at 10:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dave's comment
HC

Maybe it's different because it's his mom. Or maybe because she wasn't present in the room.

March 09 2010 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply