September 18, 2014

Jimmy Smits Returning to TV in NBC Legal Drama

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 10th 2010 10:31AM
jimmy_smits_west_wing_flagIs it a step down for Jimmy Smits that he'll only be a Supreme Court Justice in a new NBC pilot? Some might think so since his last stint on NBC was as Congressman Matt Santos who became the President of the United States on the last season of 'The West Wing.' However, in the pilot that John Eisendrath is putting together, Jimmy Smits has agreed to play a judge for NBC.

Not any judge. The character is a strict interpreter of the constitution, a 'by the book' Supreme Court Justice (there are only nine at any one time), who steps down from the bench so he can return to the law as an attorney who specializes in fighting constitutional injustices.

That may seem like a demotion for the character, but it's probably more that he'll be a heroic fighter for the little guy. He's bound be tilt at windmills, which is right up Jimmy Smits' alley.

With his experience as a lawyer on 'L.A. Law' as well as a cop on 'NYPD Blue' and the politician on 'The West Wing,' Smits is a familiar and popular television star. He was even good on 'Cane,' one of the few dramas CBS wasn't able to get beyond a year. Jimmy's last go round on the tube was on 'Dexter' -- as a D.A. who befriended the killer -- which was good enough to net him a 12th Emmy nomination.

Emmie

Does anyone know when they will make the decision on the pilot?

May 11 2010 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rhea62

cant wait for jimmys new show, he is great in anything. a really good actor, and really good to look at too.does anyone know when its supposed to start? soon i hope.

May 03 2010 at 10:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

Great news. I'm a big fan of Jimmy and am glad to hear he'll be back in a new series. I loved him in CANE too and hated that that writers strike, or whatever it was, helped to screw that show up.

I'd probably watch him in anything. YAY Jimmy!

March 10 2010 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dan

Reading the headline had me thinking the show was called "Legal Drama". And really, why wouldn't it be called that? They are all pretty generic to me anyway.

March 10 2010 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Another Supreme Court series? Didn't we have a couple of those in the past few years? Somewhere in the 2000s, post-"West Wing". I wonder why they're trying again. I liked them, but the ratings were lousy.

March 10 2010 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Scott's comment
Scott

Sorry, I didn't read that closely enough. It's clear now--it won't take place in the Supreme Court. He leaves the bench in order to be a maverick/fight for the common man/be a Hero.

March 10 2010 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emmie

I can't wait, I think Jimmy smits is a excellant actor and I loved Cane also and hated to see it go. I'll be watching every episode!

March 10 2010 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy_MO

Ah, yes, just what television needs: another legal drama. I'd much rather have Cane back.

March 10 2010 at 1:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mira

I wouldn't call this a return to TV since he was on Dexter only a season ago and on Cane in 2007, I think a more apt statement might be a return to NETWORK television.

March 10 2010 at 11:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mira's comment
Jimmy

I'm so glad you cleared that up for us.

March 10 2010 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela

Great actor. Look forward to watching his show.

March 10 2010 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cherries

I was bitterly disappointed with Cane was cancelled. They never really gave it a chance, in my view. The cast was excellent -- how do you get a better cast than Hector Elizondo, Rita Moreno and Jimmy Smits. I will watch anything he's in -- I've loved him since LA Law. I really hope this new series takes off and becomes successful. Jimmy's been away too long......

March 10 2010 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply