October 24, 2014

Letterman Tops Leno ... For Good or For Now?

by Danny Gallagher, posted Mar 10th 2010 9:00PM
Jay Leno, Oprah Winfrey and David LettermanDoes NBC have something to worry about now that Leno is back in the 'Tonight Show' chair or is this just a case of settling the new guy in ... uh, again?

Dave Letterman's 'Late Show'
scored a 1.3 in the demo ratings while Jay Leno's 'Tonight Show' scored a 1.1 on Monday.

What's to blame? It's the lead-in's fault. CBS had the highest prime time lead-in while NBC finished a distant fourth or as Conan O'Brien would call it, "payback."

Can Leno pull things around or is this a sign of things to come?

Tool

I wonder what the odds are that Leno will still be in the Tonight Show chair 1 year from now?

The problem is that NBC has screwed themselves because their is no heir apparent anymore. Jimmy Fallon is actually pretty good, but certainly not ready to move up any time soon.

It makes you wonder what the NBC execs could really say if they had the guts. They would probably say this was one of the biggest f*ck-ups of the last decade. But, of course, we'll never hear that publicly.

March 11 2010 at 12:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

he is probably still getting higher ratings then Conan was getting

March 11 2010 at 6:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

This is what NBC gets for making ANOTHER wrong decision. I won't put too much blame for Leno for what happened to Conan. Some EXTREMELY smart executive at NBC thought trying to keep Leno was worth the future of late night. This short-term thinking was what led to NBC's fall from grace the past 10 years.

March 10 2010 at 11:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Manuel Reis

I don't like neither of them. But Leno deserves this.

If Letterman beats Leno for good... Well, that would be very very good.

Leno is a f***ing thief who doesn't deserves my respect. You don't breach an agreement that has been made 5 years before.

March 10 2010 at 9:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zippy_zip74467

I have always like Jay Leno better than David Letterman. I don't think Letterman is funny, but I will sometimes watch David Letterman if he has a guest that I like.
Beating Leno once doesn't mean he'll do it all the time.

March 10 2010 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to zippy_zip74467's comment
Jim

"If Jay Leno makes you laugh, chances are I don't care for you as a person." -- Peter Griffin

March 11 2010 at 6:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Confused Sardar

As they say - could not have happened to a better person. Works both ways.

March 10 2010 at 9:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply