July 29, 2014

Dr. Drew Could Have Helped Corey Haim, Says Dr. Drew

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 11th 2010 5:09PM
Corey HaimNot sure which TV doctor/psychologist/superhero has a bigger ego, Dr. Drew or Dr. Phil, but this week I'm going with the former. Dr. Drew Pinsky says that he and people from his show 'Celebrity Rehab' reached out to Corey Haim several times over the past few years and every time Haim angrily rejected their pleas for him to be on the show, saying that he didn't need help.

Now, beyond the fact that Dr. Drew is assuming that Haim died of a drug overdose before autopsy results are even complete*, I think he doesn't quite understand (or maybe he does and doesn't care) how much of an exploitative guy he is. So Haim didn't want to appear on your show where you get celebrities to look awful while they live in a house and try to break their addictions? Is that surprising? If I was an addict I wouldn't want to do that show either.

There seems to be some bizarre notion that because people like Dr. Drew and Dr. Phil are on TV, their medical credentials must be better than other people in their profession (after all, they wouldn't be on TV if they weren't the best!).

How many experts in that field are there in the U.S.? Thousands and thousands? Why do people have to talk to the ones that are on television? Not only might you not be getting the best help, you're opening yourself up to public ridicule and reality show exploitation (didn't Haim already go through a horrible reality show experience with 'The Two Coreys?'). I'm sure Dr. Drew sincerely wants to help these people, but there's an exploitation factor here too.

Should Haim have gotten help? Of course. Maybe he even tried. But that help didn't have to be televised on VH1.

*Yes, we can all speculate about what happened and we might even be right, but I think it's wrong for someone in Dr. Drew's position to do it publicly.

Jon

THANK YOU. I am so glad that there are other normal people around. I think you may enjoy going down about 5 post and reading what I wrote. I know Dr.Drew's backround very well, as I started to learn about him when I first heard him explaining what methadone was on his radio show in New York in the 1980"s.
Hope you read what I wrote, my name is Jon Rodgers.
Also thanks for your post...I never expected to read something that was spot on in this setting.

March 13 2010 at 7:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

I do not write about these stories to much, but this writer could have done just a bit of reasearch to find out what kind of backround Dr. Drew had.
If he would have...He would have found out that there is a very good reason why Drew is sought out by everyone from drug companies to other leading Doctors all over the world.
I am not going to list what Drew has done in his lifetime to be considered the best certified addiction medicine specialist in the world. I feel that was the job of this writer.
Even after Drew was asked to go on the raido in NY in the 1980's because of his expertise, in which he helped many people...he continued to learn from other AMS from around the world, do real life studies in which he helped many people get clean at the same time, he now has many studies that lasted over 20 years.
Many people will not believe the proff out there, or the many things said and writen about how he is the best in the world at what he does, or see that he has helped real people get there life back...but people will read THIS little article about him, that tells nothing about his schooling, credentials, or interviews from people in the same field as himself to the people that credit him with saving there life & all the family members who are happy to have the person back in there life and alive.
I see what gets posted in these places & understand that I have almost no chance that a normal person will read this, but because I know for a fact that Drew has saved & changed many lifes...I took the time to write this just in case I beat the million to one odds...and a normal, good person who did not know, reads this & then can appreciate that there are still good people that are out there helping others.
Thank you Dr.Drew and everyone out there who has helped someone. God bless.

March 13 2010 at 7:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Skyboi

Never trust a doctor that only goes by his first name.

March 13 2010 at 5:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Suzy

I couldn't agree more with "Psyberspacesuperstar.." He hit it
right on target with his knowledge, not hearsay, (sp?), nor
opinion! I remember having to go into the hospital for a gall
bladder operation, and at the same time I had Chicken Pox at age 30! Not a great medical combo, but little did I know at that time that Tylenol could affect the liver, in a bad, bad way. I was taking Tylenol for my fever and pain pills which had Tylenol in them. When I got the hospital and they ran blood tests, they were trying to get me help for my so called Alcoholism! lol. I'm laughing b/c I don't touch liquor, b/c I'm on other meds. When I told them exactly what I was taking, they told me the dangers of Tylenol and the liver. Anyway, at one point, my doctor put me on Klonopin for anxiety but warned me over and over that if I drank alcohol on this drug
it could affect my respiratory and I could just stop breathing!
As if I didn't drink already, not that I have a problem, I just choose not to drink w/ meds. But I get it! Mixing different things may seem harmless to some people, but they just don't really grasp the reality that it is a prescription for death!

March 13 2010 at 4:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WhoMe

Anyone that dogs Dr. Drew is clueless when it comes to rehabbing someone, whether they're a 'celeb' or not. He's on spot with his methods, and diagnosing other problems with his patients. Who knew Dennis Rodman suffered form Aspberger's Syndrome (a milder form of autism) until he did Drew's program? Guess who diagnosed Dennis, and sent him to the UCLA Medical Center? Dr. Drew....and he was absolutely correct. Call him egotistical, say what you will, but the man knows what's up. I've been there, done that, and wish I was as good as Drew Pinskey is!!

March 13 2010 at 3:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hydrox7

Nobody's taking 85 valium a day, unless they were one or two milligrams--and it's hardly likely an abuser would be taking anything less than 10 milligram valium. Haim, like most addicts, was a compulsive liar and his story of taking 85 valium a day was just a lie meant to impress his drug addict friends.

March 13 2010 at 1:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to hydrox7's comment
WhoMe

I used to take plenty of Valium a long time ago. The only problem back then was I couldn't get past 160 mgs. a day!! At that doseage I crashed 4 cars in less than a year, and was lucky not to hurt anyone, including myself.
I highly doubt Corey Haim taking 85 Valium pills, even if they were 2.5 mgs. each.

March 13 2010 at 3:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura Staten

I commend Dr. Drew for the compassion and the empathy he shows the addicts on celebrity rehab and no doubt the patients in his practice. If there were more caring doctors who gave their time and expertise to this disease as Dr.Drew has we may be able to extinquish this epidemic of addiction. It's not easy for the addicts or the families involved and a very frustrating situation to be in, and if you also have the dilemma of no health insurance then you may not receive any help at all. And even WITH insurance it's true the treatment centers only keep you for a limited amount of days that surely is not enough time to kick the the addiction all together. If you've ever watched Celebrity Rehab I think you'd see that Dr. Drew is genuinely concerned and is there to try to rehabilitate these people so they can regain their dignity and the lives they have given up for their addiction. And even through all the frustration he faces, he doesn't give up on them. I pray for more people like him in the world. And for anybody reading this, always remember one thing.......drugs kill!!!

March 13 2010 at 1:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lm

Dr Drew helps celebs who don't appear on his show one and two he helps non celebs too. People in glass houses.......

March 13 2010 at 1:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carmen

can you tell me the movies that corey has made. he reminds me of (pursie) on Green Mile with Tom Hanks. Tell me it is not the same person. My prayers and thoughts go to his family. Such a young guy. thank-you. Please let me know. I love that movie The green mile.

March 13 2010 at 1:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
littlepigjessie

at least Dr Drew seems to be trying to help instead of all the other murderous doctors of hollywood who just keep the pills coming for celebs. If the guy had a past valium problem taking up to 85 valium in one day plus whatever else he was on, why did they give him more plus three other prescriptions? Those murderers with a license are the ones who should be held accountable, the blood never washes away from those hands. rip Corey.

March 13 2010 at 12:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply