July 23, 2014

'Human Target' - 'Salvage & Reclamation' Recap

by Mike Moody, posted Mar 11th 2010 5:05AM
human target salvange & reclamation review
(S01E07) 'Human Target' returned to the tube with a fun episode packed with big explosions, clever gags, an exotic locale, and some femme fatale hotness. The hotness came courtesy of guest star Leonor Varela, the latest in a string of babes we've seen pair up with Chance during the show's freshman season (according to star Mark Valley, she definitely won't be the last).

Varela did a fine job playing Maria, one of Chance's old flames – an old flame who could've turned out to be "the one" for Chance, if only he would've stuck around to find out. But, as our boy explained midway through this ep, he left her because everyone he's ever gotten close to "has been taken away."

Was Chance making a reference to Katherine Walters here, the woman we found out about a few episodes ago? The woman he was in love with? The woman whose death he might be responsible for?

Yeah, probably. I hope the show really dives into this plotline soon. Tonight's episode didn't explore that story at all. The focus was on the mission – to save an anthropologist (Kris Marshall) and his valuable find from a group of corrupt soldiers – and its many twists and turns.

"Salvage & Reclamation" gave us a great bad guy in the form of Kim Coates' Bertram. He was cocky, smart, and sleazy, and he was sporting a great '80s bad guy hairdo. Coates' performance was definitely intense, but he wasn't too wild or over the top. I hope he returns to go toe-to-toe with Chance on another one of his "salvage" missions. Coates has created the creepiest and most memorable villain on the show so far.

The opening scene with Bertram introducing himself to Doug was slow but suspenseful, and it had me dying to know exactly what Doug had discovered out in the jungle. Sadly, it turned out to be a boring ol' hunk of gold -- $40 million worth, to be exact. I was expecting something darker, stranger, or supernatural even, but I guess 'Human Target' isn't ready to go there just yet.

The ep lacked any real hand-to-hand combat scenes. Most of the fisticuffs happened off screen, which was a little disappointing. We did get a pretty decent gun battle (good thing Doug Slocombe is not a pacifist), and there were plenty of explosions, especially during the pre-credits teaser. And speaking of the teaser, I loved watching Chance trying (and failing) to misdirect the sergeant by critiquing his leadership skills.

Winston and Guerrero's comedy routine was funnier than ever this week. We already know that Winston hates hanging out with Guerrero. Sticking them together on a cramped and creaky "flying vending machine" only made things worse for the poor guy, leading to his loud freak-out over "La Boca del Diablo." Guerreo's response was classic: "For the record, I think you coulda handled that a little better."

Like with every episode of 'Human Target,' I had to work overtime to suspend my disbelief more than once (How the hell did they hook the net from the plane? Why did the non-English speaking pilot agree to fly the guys around for hours, going in no particular direction?). But not everything has to make perfect sense, especially with a show this fun and entertaining.

Next week: Emma Barnes (Emmanuelle Vaugler) returns to help Chance take down a badass named Baptiste (Lennie James).

(Watch free episodes of 'Human Target' on Slashcontrol)

Salty

This is my must see show of the week. I love it! Especially the fights :) And the 3 characters are excellent together - love the interaction with them. I like how they're dropping hints about Chance's past and hopefully we'll get to find out - I hope FOX renews for a 2nd season - I'm already dreading a summer without Human Target!

This past week was the weakest of all the episodes so far - I wanted a good hand to hand fight - but it was still very enjoyable, especially watching Chance trying to admit his feelings to Maria :)
It's the perfect show to watch with my 11 year old son - so reminscent of the shows from the 0s.

March 13 2010 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
litehousebeacon

I don't think the gold itself was the special find. It was the plane that two or three different governments had failed to find.

March 12 2010 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

That was a really fun episode, they hooked it from that cable they strung across the towers and it is real, it was developed by the CIA it's called Sky Hook, normally it's a balloon with a cable and a special plane grabs the cable

March 11 2010 at 11:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PB

Mark Valley would be perfect for the big screen version of the Six Million Dollar Man.

March 11 2010 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Traci Kurtz

This show is great. I don't care that its over the top. It is FUN!!!!! My husband & I never miss this show. And he is already planning on getting the dvds(this a 1st). I love Fringe & the X-Files but please don't take this show in that direction. TV needs more shows that are just plain fun. And you don't have to dive for the remote if your young kids walk in the room.

March 11 2010 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela

Great show! Love it!

March 11 2010 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fiona

We LOVE this show. So glad we found it since we rarely watch FOX. It's a great combo of Indiana Jones and Mission Impossible with a little McGiver thrown in for fun. The production values are THE best. There's nothing like it on TV today and it reminds me of a throw-back to the 70's or 80's. Mark Valley is SO good in this role...and SO easy on the eyes too!! MORE MORE MORE!!

March 11 2010 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to fiona's comment
fiona

Ditto on everything. Looking forward to next week's episode. And who in their right mind wouldn't want to be a Valley Girl? :)

March 11 2010 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zippy_zip74467

I didn't get to see the teaser. I got some kind of test pattern of colors. I did like all the parts I saw. Chance being afraid of a spider-with him looking over his shoulder, and getting caught, and both of them smiling.
It was agood show.

March 11 2010 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fiona

This is my favorite new show of the year. It's fun and interesting and the action scenes are of movie quality, not the usual TV crap. Mark Valley does an excellent job and it's nice to see him finally getting his biggest break. It's well deserved. Hope it continues on the right track and sticks to the same time slot.

March 11 2010 at 10:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex99

Quoting..
"I was expecting something darker, stranger, or supernatural even, but I guess 'Human Target' isn't ready to go there just yet."

Please, no. Let's not try to turn this into "X-Files". I think they are doing fine without any oogie-boogie nonsense.

Quoting again...
"How the hell did they hook the net from the plane?"

Didn't you catch Chance climbing the radio tower and stringing the pickup rope between that and the pole, or Winston and Guerrero tying the anchor to a rope and throwing it out of the plane? The military actually used to do things like that.

My biggest hope is that Fox doesn't kill the show with schedule gyrations.

March 11 2010 at 9:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply