October 25, 2014

Merlin Olsen Dead at 69

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 11th 2010 12:55PM
Merlin OlsenOn January 1 we reported that former football star and actor Merlin Olsen was suing NBC Universal, NBC Studios, and 20th Century Fox for exposing him to asbestos over the years. Now comes word that Olsen has died of mesothelioma in California.

Olsen was someone who had successful careers in both sports and acting. TV drama fans will remember him from his roles in 'Little House on the Prairie' (he played Jonathan Garvey) and 'Father Murphy' (as the title character) and football fans will remember his long pro football career playing for The Los Angeles Rams. He was the 1962 Rookie of the Year and retired in 1976 after being named to the Pro Bowl fourteen times. He also had a career as a sports commentator and analyst.

Olsen had roles in other TV shows and movies as well, including 'Aaron's Way,' 'Fathers and Sons,' 'Kung Fu,' 'The Brian Keith Show,' and 'Petticoat Junction.'

weaver

the best thing I remember about Merlin Olsen was driving to the football game with my dad. On the way there he would always tell me about him, and the other guys on the fearsome foursome. Great memories! Thank you Mr. Olsen

March 12 2010 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chuck Strausbaugh

One day back in the '80's, I was waiting for my mother to arrive at Frankfurt, Germany airport, and at the same time Merlin was waiting for his brother to arrive for their vacation. We struck up a conversation. My mother adored Merlin...not for his awesome football skills or that he was a TV star...but for his FTD commercials. When I got my mother I introduced her to Merlin. She is legally blind and was in a wheelchair after recently having her knees replace. Merlin bent down and said some kind words to her, took the boarding pass that she held in her hands, and wrote a note and signed it for her. What a class act!!!

March 12 2010 at 5:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BELDEN SR

he was best know as MERLIN THE MAGICION rest in piece brother

March 12 2010 at 4:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rodney

I'm so sorry to hear of Merlin's death. God rest his soul!

March 12 2010 at 3:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kay

So sad to hear of his passing,I used to watch "Little House on the Prairie" as a young girl and it was my FAVORITE show...Mr.Olsen was TRULY a talented actor and he made the character "Johnathon Garvey" a real sincere man with a BIG heart...I would like to express my condolences to the Olsen Family,his football friends and as well as to the cast of "Little House on the Prairie"..May you rest in peace Mr.Olsen....

March 12 2010 at 3:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gia

Merlin Olsen...a gentleman and true class act. My condolences to the family.

March 12 2010 at 3:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Becky Coke

Rest In Peace

March 12 2010 at 2:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ColinCody

Mr. Olsen was a wonderful man whom I greatly admired for being the loving kind of person he was and for all his many amazing abilities. Sadly, he died needlessly of an easily curable disease. Had he known of Dr. Simoncini, an oncologist with an extremely successful cancer clinic in Rome, he almost certainly could have been cured in about 48 days and would be entirely healthy today at relatively little cost.

At age 69, he was in truth still young and in the prime of life. What an awful shame to loose him so soon. The cancer industry has much for which to answer in the deaths of 528,000 American victims of their quackery last year alone.

Mr. Olsen was a good man, but, according to Jesus, being even the very best of good men would not have gotten him into heaven. I hope he had his passport to heaven ratified by Jesus. That is the sacred contract by means of which anyone may enter into saving right relationship with God (Luke 9:23 NKJV) and go to live with Him in heaven.

That contract has nothing to do with deserving heaven because of his being a nice guy. It has to do with making a faith agreement with God that itself actually has no element of meritorious conduct associated with it in any way. If Mr. Olsen ratified that supremely important sacred contract with God, then he is living most happily with Him now. I really hope he did, don't you? I would like to get well acquainted with him in heaven some day.

March 12 2010 at 2:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ColinCody's comment
Bryan McGuckin

He was a Mormon. Does that get him into heaven? I'm actually curious.

March 12 2010 at 2:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cindy

My deepest condolences to Mr. Olsen's family, friends and fans. How awful that he should die from someones elses negligence. May you rest in peace. You were a true gentleman & an inspiration and will be missed very much.

March 12 2010 at 1:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doncarlo444

a great fooball player, actor and intellect...prayers for his family...he obviously wasn't kidding about the asbestos

March 12 2010 at 1:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply