'American Idol' - 'Top 12 Revealed' Recap

by Jane Boursaw, posted Mar 12th 2010 8:00AM
American Idol, Top 12 Revealed
Ryan Seacrest said there would be a few surprises on last night's episode of 'American Idol,' and that certainly proved to be true. You have to wonder if Vote for the Worst came into play, although even the worst contestants are still really, really good to have made it that far. Let's take a look after the jump, and see which four got eliminated.

After a group number with the Top 16 singing Michael Buble's 'Haven't Met You Yet' (which wasn't half bad), we got right into it. Let's list who's in and out, and then we'll talk about it a bit.

Going Home:

Crystal Bowersox
Michael Lynche
Lacey Brown
Aaron Kelly
Andrew Garcia
Katie Stevens

I wasn't surprised to see Katelyn heading home, as she just never really connected with either the audience or the judges. Her performance of Carole King's 'I Feel the Earth Move' was the finale nail in that coffin.

I've never been a big fan of Lilly Scott, so I wasn't too sad to see her go. But the judges always seemed to fawn over her, so that was a bit of a shocker. Still, my 12-year-old daughter and I were rooting for Katie Stevens, so we're happy to see her in the competition.

But, wow, Lilly just looked completely shocked that she didn't get enough votes to stay in the competition. That's what happens when you get too comfortable and think you're a shoe-in. "I thought I did really well," she said. "I thought I was appealing to a lot of people. I put my heart into every performance and gave it my all every time. I don't know what America wants to hear, I really don't. I just know there's an audience out there for me."

Tim Urban and Todrick Hall ... oy! When they revealed that Todrick was leaving and Tim was staying, I rushed over to my Facebook page and wrote something to the effect of "What?! Tim's in and Todrick is going home?!" I really couldn't believe it, because 1) Todrick has a great voice and a lively personality; and 2) Tim was always a "replacement" in more ways than one, and just seemed to be not in the same league as the other contestants. But, whatever! He could do really well, and I'm sure he's extremely motivated at this point, having gotten several second chances to prove himself.

I felt really bad for Alex Lambert after he got the boot, because he just looked like he wanted to run far away from the stage. He looked so dejected and sad to not be part of "the in crowd." But props to him for bravely singing his last song, which, ironically, was 'Trouble.'

I guess I should mention former Idols Scott MacIntyre and Matt Giraud singing 'Tell Her About It.' Kind of a nice 'Baker Boys' vibe they've got going with the two pianos, but I sort of forgot about it as soon as it ended.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Top 12 and the four heading home. Did you think Lilly and Todrick were going to be staying? Do Alex and Katelyn deserve to be going home?

alknows

Let's not give VFTW too much credit. I still refuse to believe they are anything but a nice sarcastic take on the show. It would be virtually impossible for them to place enough votes in two hours to make a difference. Even power voting ot auto-voting, how many votes can you send in in two hours? Now figure out how many people you would need doing it to have an effect on the results. And I read somewhere that Crystal has juvenile diabetes, wears an insulin pump and the whole deal, so that could explain her obvious discomfort. Losing her for health reasons would sound a death knell for this season, given her support.

March 13 2010 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Probably shouldn't put a spoiler image of who made it to the top 12 where everyone that's not reading the full article yet can see it...

March 13 2010 at 11:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dana

it was the mullet

March 13 2010 at 8:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pam

So sad to see Alex go!!!!! Still hoping for a miracle with some kind of wild card "thing"! Hope Crystal is ok as I love her. Hang in there Crystal. Her health issues are personal and NOT our business. Good luck.

March 12 2010 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Yale

I'm glad Lilly was booted. I don't like her tone of voice.

I thought Todrick would stay on a lot longer. He has a great voice.

Isn't Alex the guy who Ellen compared to a banana?

I wasn't surprised Katelyn was eliminated. She did horrible on her last performance.

The past few seasons haven't been very good. I mean what happened to singers like Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood?

March 12 2010 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NightOwl

I noticed that Crystal sat down after her performance also, and that she seems to move very gingerly. She seems kind of subdued, like she still doesnt feel well. Of course, whatever her medical condition was or still is is none of our business if she doesnt want to make it public. But you cant help wonder about it when it seems that she is still effected by it. It sure hasnt bothered her performance though! She is a heck of a singer and I wish her well.
I was really glad to see Lilly voted off last night. I havent liked any of her performances and am confused by the judges fondness for her. And her hairstyle looks harsh and unflattering. Hated to see Mullet Boy go home though. His voice is very intrigueing and I had hoped he would stick around long enough to get some experience and confidence

March 12 2010 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mitch

What a joke. The show is now strictly a popularity contest and talent is secondary. Who really thinks that the 4 people that were eliminated last night were the worst 4? How are Tim and Aaron still on the show? How are Katey and Lacey still on the show?

March 12 2010 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SISSERS

Wulfn1-Yes, I noticed Crystal!! Ive been watching her after she sat down on the speaker the other night after her performance. She seemed to struggled sitting down on the silver stool last night, and the guy behind her clearly asked her if she was ok. Did you see that? You might be right about the surgery thing. It makes more sense then diabetes or pregnancy, which is another rumor floating around.

March 12 2010 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
greatone

I was hoping Todrick was going to stay but I knew America wouldn't vote to keep him. IMO, his performance was the 2nd best performance after Big Mike on Wednesday night. The other 3 I was 100% all of them would have stayed. I was especially shocked to see Lilly go home. I don't think she would have won it all because her votes would eventually got split with Crystal because they have a similar fanbase. I thought Katelyn had a chance to go far in American Idol. I liked her first 2 performance but didn't like her last performance.

Alex have improved the last 2 weeks. I thought he would have made to the top 5 if he was given the opportunity to stay. I think Alex performance of Trouble might have hurt him some. It was a good performance but if you compared it to Matt Lawrence performance of Trouble in the audition round then you could see that Alex performance was the weaker of the two.

The 4 contestants I would have sent home would have been Tim Urban, Aaron Kelly, Katie Stevens, and Lacey Brown. Compared to the other contestants I don't think none of these 4 have a chance to win American Idol.

March 12 2010 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Only two or three people have any shot at winning (Crystal, Lee and maybe, maybe Casey), so nothing last night shocked me.

I agree with wulfn1 (above): Something was wrong with Crystal. If she drops out, it will make the rest of this season a lot less interesting.

Simon's getting out at the right time, and I'm right behind him. This show is on life support!

March 12 2010 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply