Elton John for Simon Cowell on 'American Idol?'

by Brad Trechak, posted Mar 13th 2010 11:01AM
Elton John'American Idol' producer Nigel Lythgoe has hinted that a good replacement for the departing Simon Cowell would be none other than Sir Elton John himself. The question is, can Sir Elton be as entertaining as Cowell?

Cowell had an acerbic wit that entertained and spoke what the viewers were thinking. If John didn't repeat that methodology, he'd be called boring. If he did, he'd be called nasty. Is Elton John known for being snide and sarcastic? He's more well-known, other than his music, for being ostentatious and wearing strange glasses.

On the other hand, Elton John has been a big name in the music industry for a long time and would certainly be credible as a judge. IT depends on who his fellow judges are and whether they have good chemistry together.

Would Elton John's presence be an indicator that the show has done that thing that shows that stay too long do?

Heroesvoice

Nobody will be able to replace Simon. The reason why everyone tuned in each week was to see what Simon was going to say next. I think Idol Season 10 will be the last. The producers have to be pretty naive if they're not feeling it already. Even Madonna as a new judge wouldn't be able to save the show. I hate to say it folks. I hope I'm wrong. But American Idol is doomed.

June 03 2010 at 2:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

I believe that Elton is totally qualified to be a judge and he isn't afraid to give his opinion. But he can also be "pissy" when others don't agree with him. Might be a problem.

March 13 2010 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

I think Sir Elton would be a great fit. As he gets older, he has pretty much said what's on his mind. He's also known for encouraging young performers, so he'd be a good mentor.

March 13 2010 at 2:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bjwanlund

Since Idol used to hinge on uniqueness, I think Elton John would be a fantastic fit for Idol if they were ever to return to that, but seriously, can we figure out how to NOT make Idol so doggone excruciating to hear the hopefuls singing?

Another rumor I keep hearing is Ann Wilson of Heart being a judge. Admittedly, maybe it's time to get someone like Elton John OR Ann Wilson, who don't always shoot from the hip and can give praise when it's due and also give constructive criticism when it's due.

BJ

March 13 2010 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JoeBrooks

I hate to say it... but Sir Elton turning into a grandma, or that is just a bad picture... !

March 13 2010 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply