October 21, 2014

Jackie Gleason Apologizes For Bad Show (Why Don't More People Do This?)

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 14th 2010 3:30PM
'You're in the Picture' was one of those rare TV shows that only last one episode. It was a CBS game show hosted by Jackie Gleason where celebrities would stick their heads through carnival cardboard cutouts and panelists had guess what the scene was. The following week, instead of the next episode, Gleason came out in a chair and just talked to the audience, apologizing for the show. The following week he turned it into a talk show.

More people on TV should apologize like this. And I think more people should smoke on TV again too.

[via Ken Levine]

jmsbolin

I gotta get me some of those L&M's!

March 23 2011 at 8:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J-Sim

While Gleason was great I was a little confused by your last line.
Let me get this right. A few articles back, "I think that anyone caught drunk driving should lose their license forever." Now, "I think more people should smoke on TV again too."
A bit of misplaced support as smoking related deaths easily exceed 25 times the number of drunk driving fatalities each year.

March 15 2010 at 6:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marty

My apologies. Missed the via tag. Looks like Alan got his post from Ken too and I missed the reference on his post also. I suck.

March 15 2010 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

Marty: no idea what you're talking about. I got this from Ken Levine (which is why it says "via Ken Levine" in the post).

March 15 2010 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marty

I see your are getting your content from Alan Sepinwall now.

March 15 2010 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ric Kaysen

Brilliant snippet of television history

March 15 2010 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan H

If you didn't like Jackie Gleason as Sherrif Buford T. Justice in Smokey and the Bandit, I don't want to know you, and I am glad I don't.

March 15 2010 at 9:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jude

I disliked Jackie Gleason so much as a kid. His shows were sexist (which I knew even if we didn't invent the term until the 1970s), crude, coarse, and demeaning. The only thing I liked about him was a film he made called Gigot. I loved a lot of television hosts from that time period--Danny Kaye, Jack Benny, and Garry Moore, to name a few--but I never liked Gleason.

March 14 2010 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phil

Seinfeld has to apologize for The Marriage Ref.

March 14 2010 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat L.

Because SNL would have to apologize once a week.

March 14 2010 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply