August 21, 2014

Jane After Dark: 'Supernatural' - Dean's Deal With the Crossroads Demon

by Jane Boursaw, posted Mar 14th 2010 4:50PM
Supernatural, Jane After Dark
Hey, 'Supernatural' fans. Well, I'm into season three now, after a short break last week to recover from season two. I was sort of bummed out the way it ended and needed some time to get my wits together. I was majorly sad about Dean's deal with the Crossroads demon to save Sam. It was a tough spot, to be sure. He had to save his brother; on the other hand, how will Sam feel when Dean's gone in a year? Clearly, I've got too much invested in these characters.

Still, even with all of that hanging over them, the writers managed to lighten things up in season three ... sort of. Dean just doesn't really give a rat's ass about anything, which is pretty fun. But Sam's onto him. He knows he's terrified, and I have to think that Sam will figure a way out of that deal, even though he's killed the Crossroads demon. I'm not totally immune to their situation, though. I know one or both brothers spend time in Hell eventually.

And Sam is the anti-Christ? At least, that's what Gordon told Bela, and he sure seemed hell-bent on killing Sam. Well, until Gordon got turned into a vampire and ended up expiring. What a way to go.

The stories with children really creep me out, and freaky kids are quite the norm on this show. I'm talking about episodes like 'Bedtime Stories,' where the girl in the coma uses fairy tales to try and get her message across. Or 'A Very Supernatural Christmas,' where people end up getting yanked up the chimney -- in front of their kids (just think of the therapy bills)! Or 'The Kids Are Alright,' where the Changeling locks the kids up and replaces them with other souls. I still refuse to believe that kid wasn't Dean's son. There are just too many similarities there.

And speaking of the Christmas episode, that was quite the grisly scene in the basement of the wreath-making lady, not to mention she and her creepy husband tying up the boys in their Christmas Village home and yanking Sam's fingernail off. Good grief, that was hard to watch.

All of that juxtaposed with the young Winchester boys celebrating a dismal Christmas without their dad, Sam learning the truth about hunting, and Dean receiving the golden amulet from Sam was one of the saddest and sweetest things I've seen in a while.

Overall, I'm still really loving the series. The case-of-the-week stories are interesting, but it's the evolving mythology of Sam (who is he?), Dean, and their dad that keeps me hooked. I find it interesting that Dean refuses to believe in angels. Even if he's never seen any evidence of them, you'd think he might consider the idea that there's something to counter all of the demons in the world. But you never hear talk of Heaven -- only Hell. Their dad must have gone somewhere when the gateway to Hell opened and he got out.

Ok, that's all I got for now. I look forward to your thoughts on 'Supernatural.'

Jane Boursaw

Just watched Mystery Spot last night - funny. But holy cow, Sam went six months (I think it was six months) before the Bobby/Trickster encounter. And then he was back to that morning with Dean. I was half-asleep at the end, though, so need to watch it again to see how it all went down.

The ep with the witches was pretty funny, too (and gross). Dean: "Freakin' witches! Come on!!

March 16 2010 at 6:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brenda

I know in the past you have said this show is Buffy like, but I think it is much more like Charmed. The only difference is that the brothers aren't witches. The story lines and some of the demons are the same in both series.

March 15 2010 at 3:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

I felt a bit annoyed at this show to begin with as it seemed to emulate buffy yet now I love this show which is now on a par of its own, love how Kripkes masterplan all pulls together in season 4 which was the best season ever, favourite new character=Castiel!
It sucks though because im Australian and I dont get to see season five until its aired in the states first so sucks for me, having withdrawals.

March 15 2010 at 12:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
James

I was negative on the whole show until I actually took the time to watch it and Im not going to spill the beans or anything but I cant believe Kripke's masterplan that pulls together at the culmination of season 4 which was the best ever by the way=p I'm Australian so it sucks coz we dont get to see season 5 untill after its aired in the united states so I am having major withdrawals....

March 15 2010 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anne

I'm so glad u love it it keeps getting better and better xx

March 14 2010 at 11:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

This is a neat idea. I like the idea of someone watching a show for the first time on DVD and commenting on it periodically. May I suggest Alias for a fan of Lost? Or Buffy for fans of this show.

March 14 2010 at 11:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sean

Keep going! It only gets better from there

March 14 2010 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CasayanReality

The season three finale is my all-time favorite Supernatural episode and I've always been a fan because I feel that (up to a certain Season five episode) that the show never Jumped the shark. In matter of fact Jump the Shark was a favorite episode of mine.

You're up for a thrill ride in season 4.

March 14 2010 at 10:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roxana

I love this show! I'm in the middle of season 4.
I can't get enough of the Winchester brothers.
The Christmas episode made me tear up at the end.

Mystery Spot is a funny episode, the part where Sam knows everything Dean is about to say had me rolling.

Yellow fever is hilarious. The part with the cat made me lol. Wait for the end credits to get a little surprise.

March 14 2010 at 9:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex

I recently started watching Supernatural. Season 1 was pretty cool, but the usual freak of the week stuff didn't always do it for me. It had fun wink at the camera moments, and enjoy the fake names they give. Season 2 got much better, and I have to say, Jensen Ackles is hilarious. Nikki Aycox was a fun villain to watch on screen, and the season had quite an interesting ending to it. Pretty awesome that whole thing with the railroad lines.

I just finished watching the 2nd ep of season 3, and I thought it was pretty great. A showcase for Jensen's talents for sure. Quite funny at the beggining.

Basically I'm loving this show, glad I caught on!

March 14 2010 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply