September 1, 2014

Kia and CBS Sued For Ripping Off Song in Super Bowl Ad

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 15th 2010 2:00PM
CBSI really didn't think we'd still be talking about the Super Bowl commercials more than a month after the game ended, but we are. It seems that every other company that had an ad during the game is being sued in one way or another. The latest defendants are Kia and CBS, who televised the game.

The Hollywood Reporter reports that the two companies (and a few others, including the NFL and the ad agency) are being sued by Drive-In Music Company, who says that the song used in the Kia ad (the one with Muno from 'Yo Gabba Gabba') is very similar to a song by Dyke and the Blazers that they own called "Let A Woman Be A Woman." This commercial is still being shown a lot.

After the jump, the two songs. You be the judge.

spook

White performers have a historical habit of stealing black music. Yes they should be sued. Same notes, same guitar licks. Eventho this "sounds" like a James Brown song, it isn't. You can't sue over "style"

March 20 2011 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John C. Billingsley, Jr.

Call it Plagiarism and you'll get every english teacher and Brit in the world on their case. First their exectives mismanige their company into bankrupsity then bama rewards them by giving them Billions of our money for their next bonizes and now the greatest crime of english. what are they trying for? A demonic 10 sweep?

March 16 2010 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mikewheels312

They are very similar, very strange.

March 16 2010 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I remember reading years ago that ALL musical notes had been used. All combinations of musical notes had been used. Therefore, no one could copyright the "music" but they could copyright the lyrics.

I didn't listen to either of these songs because I don't care. I do know, from personal experience, that all lawyers are crooks. Maybe even worse than politicians!

Too many frivilous lawsuits.

March 16 2010 at 10:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kalaco50

If anyone should sue, it would be James Brown's ghost. They totally ripped off his style.

March 16 2010 at 9:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kristy

similar...but not the same

March 16 2010 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
john

The Heavy used the actual track that Dyke recorded way back. If they didn't get permission, that's plagerism and is illegal in the U.S. As for it not being a song; in the funk era, the groove was everything. Lyrics were marginal. And yes, Dyke and many other bands were influenced by James Brown, just as he was influensed by the 5 Royales and others. that's the way music grows. Dyke has a case.
Oh; and they guy wjho says they were "nothin bands"; where's your record?

March 16 2010 at 9:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eileen

No doubt about it, the opening chords sound almost identical. As far as the rest of the song, that takes much more imagination to say it was "stolen".
Now I show my age, but I could hear in "Let a Man..." the unmistakable influence of the Godfather of Soul, Gentleman James Brown. I don't think Mr. Brown decided to sue anybody; hey, correct me if I'm wrong...I don't know too much behind-the-scenes-trivia.

March 16 2010 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeffrey H. Baer

Hmm...lawsuits over Super Bowl ads are the in thing now, so I guess I'll sue CBS and Snickers for elderly actor abuse.

March 16 2010 at 8:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jorgebrito2

Not fair what they're doing to KIA and CBS. They did absolutely nothing wrong.

March 16 2010 at 8:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply