Ousted 'Idol' Singer Angles For Role on 'Glee'

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 15th 2010 11:00AM
todrick_hall_american_idol_foxThere's something annoying about a shameless self-promoter. Granted, anybody who puts themselves in the circus that is 'American Idol' is a shameless self-promoter. Heck, if you're in show business at all, you probably qualify. But there are ways to push yourself forward without being smug or smarmy.

In USA Today, ousted 'American Idol' singer Todrick Hall wants to be on 'Glee.' He has made no secret of his desire, especially now that he's definitely not going to be the next 'American Idol.' With little humility, and less tact, Todrick turned his exit interviews from 'Idol' into a campaign to get on 'Glee.' He probably figures that they're both on Fox. They both feature singers and dancers. Surely, the 'Glee' folks would snatch up a good-looking performer like him.

Todrick said that he's enlisted Ellen DeGeneres in his campaign, which I'm sure she was thrilled about. He told the paper, "She's helping promote the fact that I should be on 'Glee' on her TV show. I wouldn't be pushing myself for the role if I didn't think I could do a good job. I think it's perfect for me and anything is possible at this point."

Perfect for him, but 'Glee' may not need him. And, excuse me for asking such a personal question, but can Todrick Hall act? It is a job requirement for 'Glee.'

Look, Todrick Hall isn't doing anything that thousands -- probably millions -- have done before. He wants to succeed. However, in the midst of all the campaigning and pushing, Todrick should try a little self-effacing charm and modesty. Maybe the world will discover him and make him a star without his pulling the strings.

LA Dave

I was at the Paley Panel for Glee this past Saturday.
Ryan Murphy said he has been inundated with "Idol" winners and castoffs wanting to be on Glee.
He did not give us an impression that he had any inkling to bring any of them to the show.

BTW, Amber Riley, who plays Mercedes, was rejected by producers of American Idol before she even got to audition in front Simon, Randy and Paula a few seasons ago.

March 16 2010 at 9:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
somebody2006

i really hope glee doesn't become a dumping ground for rejected idols.

March 15 2010 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chriscraig

I went to high school with the guy, he played the Scarecrow in our production of the Wizard of Oz ( i was in the pit) i seem to remember him doing a good job, but i can't say that he would be good enough to be on one of the best shows on TV.

March 15 2010 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
themediablog

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

And in case that wasn't clear: NO.

He was an arrogant jerk and he MURDERED "Somebody to Love."

March 15 2010 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

Todrick was irritating on AI and I'd bet he wouldn't stop being so if he were on Glee. His singing was just another run of the mill, "let me stretch this note out twenty different ways" style. He will use Ellen or anyone he needs to use to stretch his 15 minutes out a little more. Hopefully, Glee will let this "Diva in the works" slide by.

March 15 2010 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amazed

I play donkey basketball. When I'm done I don't go to the NBA and expect to be a starting player, this shmuck shouldn't either. Todrick is a con artist, and if AI starts filtering their losers onto other FOX shows, I'll stop watching them too! Google his name and do the research, this guy is a scumbag with an excuse for everything, just like every other opportunistic con artist. Instead of trying to think up elaborate fan-fic storylines to scam his way onto GLEE, he should be paying back all those kids he hustled for money.

March 15 2010 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Amazed's comment
Judy

I think he's doing what he has to do to get on with his career. I think he was charming, talented and smart and acts no different than many other personalities in the industry.

And, Amazed? I don't Fox will miss you.

March 15 2010 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vince

You are being too tough on the guy. He would love to do "Glee". Whats wrong with telling everybody? He may get an offer to audition. I think he was very personable and has talent.

A little ambition is okay.

March 15 2010 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply