December 19, 2014

'The Amazing Race' - 'I Think We're Fighting the Germans, Right?' Recap

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Mar 15th 2010 1:08AM
Fighting the war on The Amazing Race
(S16E05) Brave soldiers marching as to war ... or maybe it's just a team from 'The Amazing Race' hoping to make the pit stop without interference from the Red Baron. The episode started off on a new and different note. After arriving at the last pit stop, the teams were taken to an undisclosed location. They didn't know; we didn't know. Mais oui, we all figured it out. It turned out that the lack of whereabouts knowledge wasn't what affected this leg. It was all about over confidence. That can end up biting you in the butt.

France, they're in France!
But, before they get there, Joe (of Joe and Heidi) fame, managed to rub a few people the wrong way. He's been running the race with a hurt knee. I actually think he and Heidi make a good team -- they work well together, don't bicker, and are solid finishers. Joe doesn't seem to understand that folks can get downright touchy when they're in competition. A few words about how they're blowing away the other teams even with his bad knee cost a million dollars tonight.

No roadblock?
Well, the editing has been odd thus far this season, what with missing teams, teams suddenly appearing, and such. This week, they first had to find a clue in a baguette, then it was off to a detour. Upon completion of the detour, we'd normally have a roadblock. I believe that we've perhaps not had a roadblock before, but I enjoy roadblocks. The baguette bit was cool enough, although I was kind of surprised that everyone figured out it's bread.

Perhaps because the detour was so complicated, they never planned a roadblock. Teams had the choice between "In the Trenches" or "Under Fire" in a most excellent World War I reenactment scenario. The first involved Morse code translation, thus making the bombs and gunfire of the latter safer for the teams. What got me about the detour was how realistic it seemed -- buzzing planes shooting at the teams as they crawled through mud under barbed wire obstacles, bombs exploding all about. I've seen local reenactments and they're not up to snuff with this one! After completing the detour, the teams only had to don vintage clothes and ride a classic bicycle four miles to the pit stop. I don't know how Joe would have managed that with his knee, but he and Heidi didn't get that far.

An error or a smart move
?
When Louie and Michael, still in the lead after starting out in the lead and performing well on the detour, blind U-turned Joe and Heidi, I was a bit surprised. First, as they were the only team ahead of the Steve/Allie Joe/Heidi pack, the blind part of the U-turn was moot. Everyone would know who did it. Second, the cops were in first place. Normally the first place people keep on racing and it's down to people seriously threatened with Philimination who use U-turns or Yields. So, why did the cops do it? It was all because of Joe's smugness on the trip to France. And, it worked. By having to do the Morse code part of the detour, Joe and Heidi crumbled. They never even came out of the trenches. Michael and Louie got rid of one of the stronger teams in the race.

What? Jeff and Jordan are still in the race?
Even though Jeff's impatience is starting to irk me, I like these two. After all, I spent all summer watching the 'Big Brother' live feeds. I feel as if I know them. But they're so not a strong team on the race and they're starting to quibble. They started off with an extra task facing them this week due to their non-Philimination last week. I was sure they'd be goners. When they got lost immediately, I knew it was curtains.

Nope! Only thanks to the blind U-turn killing off Joe and Heidi, they finished the leg. They worked together well in the extra task -- reinforcing the walls of one of the trenches. Jordan is getting fussy and whiny, but nowhere near as bad as the "mean lesbians" (Caite's description of Brandy and Carol). While they got an unexpected save this week, I fear my 'BB' Buddies aren't long for the race down the road.

The pit stop order for the record:

1. Louie and Michael -- each won a 55" HDTV.
2. Steve and Allie
3. Jet and Cord
4. Dan and Jordan
5. Carol and Brandy
6. Brent and Caite -- even though they had to go back to retrieve a clue.
7. Jeff and Jordan
8. Well, they never made it to pit stop -- Joe and Heidi, Philiminated. Alas, they were a good team, and I liked them.

How many more legs will Jeff and Jordan last?
Out next episode!177 (40.8%)
Oh, maybe a few more.204 (47.0%)
They'll make the final three.23 (5.3%)
They'll win, get married and live happily ever after!30 (6.9%)

David D

Although it was pretty apparent to Joe and Heidi that the detectives were the ones who pulled the U-Turn on them, they wouldn't have known if one of the other five teams had finished the Morse code detour first and slapped their kissers on the board. Unlikely, but possible.

March 15 2010 at 9:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

Good episode! Love Jordan and Jeff but have to wonder whether they and Caitlin and Brent will make it past the next two episodes.

The "mean" lesbians, or at least half of them is getting very irritating, more so every week.

Daniel and Jordan also bicker, but at least they can laugh at themselves too.

Steve and Allie have a great father-daughter relationship.

Cord, of Jet and Cord, made me laugh with his comment, "That was a pretty real 'deter' ".

Pretty sure the other commenter was right in saying that Louis amd Michael may have used the U-turn on Joe and Heidi not only because of Joe's bragging. They probably did hope to get rid of their closest competitors and it worked. You don't always want to keep your enemies close.

March 15 2010 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick

I wish they had played the morse code so that the viewers could hear it. It was impossible to determine if it was difficult to do or if Joe and Heidi were just not good at it. No other team even thought about doing the Morse Code unless you count the lesbian team muttering about smart and dumb people and smart people doing the Morse Code.

March 15 2010 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robyn

Brent and Caite - how many more clues will they mis-read, or jsut plan miss? Thye deserve each other, and I don't think they can hold out much longer.
Joe needed to go, arrogant, the angry lesboans can go any time. I like the cops, they are perceptive and I think used the u-turn wisely. What if thye hadn't and Joe/Heidi finished very close to their time? Then the next challenge they would have been a threat again. No only did they get rid of J/H they gave themselves extra time over a not so strong Joe/Allie team. Way to go guys.

March 15 2010 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

If they were going to use it, why not on one of the stronger teams that would challenge them like the Cowboys. I think anyone that would have gotten the Morse Code challenge would have lost.
But isn't this the first time a team like Jeff and Jordan that had to do the extra challenge didn't have to do both challenges? Normally they would have had to do both Morse Code and the other challenge. They gave them an easy extra challenge.

March 15 2010 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to davidm3825's comment
Mike

No, in previous seasons, since they came up with the speed bump, it's been an extra challenge, completely separate from the others at the detour. The U-Turn has always been to go back and complete the other part of the detour...

March 15 2010 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

Brent to Caite, as they are driving up to the detour, In the Trenches or Under Fire "oh look flying type things" I was so hoping Caite would have shown us she could have a smart moment and reply back to him saying "their planes Brent" but no, she was more like "oh cool" which I translated to -- oh ya, flying type thingys -- LOL

March 15 2010 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lylekira

Man that one complaint whiney lesbian is driving me crazy. Ugh! Shut up already!!!

And yes the cops did deserve the first place prize. They finished first and fairly. I never understand why people can bitch about teams when they simply play the fair and legal strategy of the race. Again it's a race!!!!

March 15 2010 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Yeah, except their Speed Bump was the most lengthy in like 5 seasons...

And why didn't the cops deserve the prize? Because they played the game and u-turned a team? Oh please. I just wish they'd u-turned the angry lesbians! Though the smugness of Joe and Heidi made that a fine choice also...

March 15 2010 at 11:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Mike's comment
Edward

when does a 1st place team ever use a U-turn? why would anyone at the beginning of the pack even need to use it?

at some point, Joe's bum knee would have stopped his team...so all the cops had to do was go on and win this leg...and keep beating joe and heidi on their injuries/smugness

March 15 2010 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

That would've been your choice... they chose to run the race differently. It doesn't make them bad people or deserving of a loss because they were in front and decided to take out a team they didn't like. In fact, to win a leg, I'd take out a team that was close behind if I thought they'd be a problem for winning the leg. Very rarely, and I'm not sure ever, in fact, has a U-Turn actually eliminated a team until now. The truth is, the task they were forced back to do wasn't a physical one. It wasn't Joe's knee that got the arrogant bastard out. Thinking dot dot dot equals a dash did. But what does any of that have to do with the tv? The cops won that fair and square no matter how you look at it... it's a game with a U-Turn... Let me guess, you'd throw an immunity idol into the ocean in Survivor, too, right?

March 15 2010 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isabelle Carreau

I wonder if the U-Turn was really planned for this leg of the race before TAR begun OR if the producers put it there in the hope it would save fanfavorites Jordan and Jeff.

I was also a bit suspicious about last week's non-elimination... it was time to have one, but it felt fishy because it was Jeff and Jordan, people who were asked to be on the race and not the other way around.

Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for J&J as I watched them through Big Brother but I find it really convinient that they got the non-elimination AND the U-Turn... plus their speed bump was in the same location as the detour...

March 15 2010 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sassy

Can't help but wonder what show Brandy thought she signed up for. Every week she complains and complains ... I so want that team gone!

Great writeup as usual, Jackie.

March 15 2010 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply