April 24, 2014

Tina Fey Returns to Host 'SNL' in April

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 15th 2010 1:29PM
Tina FeyThis might be the minority opinion, but 'Saturday Night Live' has been doing some good things lately. Sure, they still have a lot of dreck mixed in with the good moments, but the last two episodes (with Zack Galafianakis and Jude Law) were quite entertaining.

Those are two good choices for hosts, and the show continues to make good choices in that regard. First came the news that Betty White will host the show in May, and now comes word that Tina Fey will come back and host too.

Fey will host the April 10 show. Will she do her Sarah Palin impersonation? Will she return to "Weekend Update" in some way? I think you can bet on both of those things happening.

The musical guest will be Justin Bieber, which means I'll finally find out why "Justin Bieber" has been a Trending Topic on Twitter every day for the past three months.

Xolus

The week of this SNL will be Tina heaven for me: 30 Rock Thursday, Date night Friday, and then SNL on Saturday!! Happy happy joy joy!!!

March 16 2010 at 8:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Xolus's comment
Drex

Thanks for getting that Ren and Stimpy song stuck in my head for the rest of the day now..

March 16 2010 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
will

Tina Fey = good.
I disagree with the notion that SNL has been funny recently. I think the problem is that when cast members get a little famous they start doing other projects and they do not commit to SNL 100%. If you want to write a good comedy show every week you need to focus on that all the time. So many of the cast are doing guest spots on other shows and movies during the season. That usedto be verbotten in Lorne-land.

There are only a few who can multi-task on the funny and Tina is one of them. The Weekend Update is consistently funny and occasionally hilarious. The Digital Shorts are getting a bit stale. Abby Elliot is becoming a solid cast member. The other women seem interchangeable. More Will Forte and bring back Parnell!

Other than that, Zach *was* great. He should have done 90 minutes of stand up.

Thanks for reading.

March 15 2010 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to will's comment
Robin

I agree, Will. The Jude Law show was almost unwatchable. Zach's show was great solely because of his monologue... and the Pageant Watch skit. The rest was garbage.

Anyone remember when it was only the guest hosts reading the cue cards? Every player does it now, to the point where the people in scene are having a conversation and not even close to looking at/facing each other. It's awful.

March 15 2010 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thepassenger

I usually skip over the musical guests, because, well, I'm old. I don't have kids, and I certainly don't care about Justin whoever. I watched when they had Lady Gaga on, because up to that point I'd never heard any of her songs and I was pleased to learn that she can actually sing, even if she is a three-ring freak show.

In general I find that SNL is about 1/10th as funny as it has the potential to be, yet I can't stop watching. The really good episodes leave me thinking "why can't they all be this funny?"

March 15 2010 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

So this is in addition to her coming back with Betty White and the other women of comedy in May?

March 15 2010 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica Anne

If Tina Fey wasn't enough to make me tune in (oh, she is!), the chance to find out why Justin Bieber has t-shirts all over in the stores my daughter shops in would have sold me!

Jess