November 26, 2014

'24' - '3:00AM - 4:00AM' Recap

by Mike Moody, posted Mar 16th 2010 11:52AM
24 3 am 4 am
(S08E12)
Stephen Root didn't set the building on fire, but last night's '24' was the best episode of the season so far.

Jack and Cole teamed up to chase down Tarin, but their potential buddy cop moments were undercut by an overzealous SWAT team leader and some very crafty terrorists. For the first time in a long time, '24' delivered edge of your seat suspense and some truly exciting twists and turns. Spoilers after the jump.

Did anyone see that twist coming? I sure didn't. Tarin's double-cross turned the suspense factor up to eleven and paid off in a big way. And seeing CTU get taken out by an EMP blast? Well that was just awesome.

Sure we've seen CTU compromised before, but so what? I welcome the prospect of watching Jack and Cole hit the streets to dole out justice without the aid of their usual tech support.

The episode's opening moments were a little overstuffed with exposition (and drone boy Arlo is really starting to get on my nerves), but things picked up in the hotel room with Tarin and Kayla (poor, poor Kayla). Hassan's daughter wisely decided not to jump out the window of a Manhattan high-rise, but she was forced to watch Tarin play a bloody game of 'Duck Hunt' that ended with an entire SWAT team dead on the ground.

I was hoping we'd get to see a big screen-style car chase/shootout after Tarin fled the hotel, but no such luck. The bad guys ditched their getaway cab before Jack and Cole could fire one shot. So how'd they manage to do that? I'm guessing they used one of those secret underground tunnels the baddies are so fond of this season. Those things really come in handy, huh?

I actually enjoyed watching Stephen Root torture Dana with his insistent, forceful nature and Southern, er, charm. So she wants to give herself up? I have no problem with that. I just hope she doesn't drag Cole down with her. I find myself rooting for the guy, especially when he's working alongside Jack.

Will Dana be punished for her crimes? Probably. But I'm more interested in seeing the fallout from the reveal of file 33. So Hassan's government stole classified info detailing the US's anti-nuclear defenses? Like I typed before, these are some very crafty terrorists. Not only did they manage to take out CTU, but they also successfully damaged Hassan's credibility with the US. Say bye bye to those peace negotiations, Hassan. I don't think you can talk your way outta this one.

This could be the final season of '24', unless NBC picks it up. Frankly, I'd be happy to see the show end this year and transition to the big screen. It's time for the franchise to ditch the 24-hour gimmick (and the tedious subplots) and deliver a solid and focused Jack Bauer adventure story.

1iPete

It's absolutely ridiculous to think a headquarters like CTU would not be shielded for EMP and EMI. That is standard for military, defense and intelligence agencies. CTU's lifeblood is their electronics and it would be duly protected. Including how insecure and routinely attacked/infiltrated/destroyed the HQ has been over the years, it's just another giant logic fail by this show which really hasn't had anything new to bring to the table for a while.

Yes, the Tarin double turn was entertaining, but I really thought were going to get a shocking decapitation like Sleeper Cell did, but that was a much better show than 24.

March 16 2010 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to 1iPete's comment
Kytona

Attention 24 fans... We're running a campaign to try to have a Season 9. Show your support.

Save 24 - Give us a Season 9, add a #twibbon to your avatar now! - http://bit.ly/b84nqW

Also see www.tinyurl.com/save24

March 16 2010 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kytona's comment
Sir Yuck-Yuck

I know you mean a twibbon for our twitter avatars but it would be nice if this site would finally allow me ((and I am guessing others)) to add my skunk avatar here I have tried so many times.

March 16 2010 at 10:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

The last two episodes have been much better.....hmmm.

Enough with the Brannon Braga hatred. The 24 producers intentionally hired him knowing the fans would blame him for the series "downturn". And what Chris Carter pulled behind the scenes on X-Files was much, much worse than anything Braga ever did.

March 16 2010 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Val

I'm glad I only just started watching 24 last season.. Everyone that has been with it since its inception seems pretty disappointed.. I'm not jaded, I'm enjoying myself.

March 16 2010 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monty

I'm hoping the EMP blast helps straighten out Hastings back/posture problems.

March 16 2010 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mack Swift

Milton: NYPD told me to talk to CTU and then CTU told me to talk to NYPD and I still haven't received my suspect and he took my red stapler and he never brought it back and then they moved me to interrogation room B and there was garbage on it.....

March 16 2010 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mack Swift's comment
Confused Sardar

Dude, you made my day.

I wonder why they could not just get rid of the B plot, and add a pure comedy track. For example, someone just looking for his red stapler ... for real.

March 16 2010 at 11:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

The Pres. Logan season (5?) continues to be the best, but, none were worst than 6. I'm enjoying this season, and last night's episode was awesome! I will Dana would go already. She reminds me of how much I enjoyed Bionic Woman.

March 16 2010 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tcc3

People keep bringing up season 2. Have you seen it recently? It was one of the worst seasons they've ever had.

I'm certainly no fan of Dana, but lame subplots are nothing new to this show. Babysitter Kim and the abusive boss was lame and irrelevant to the plot. At least Dana's irrelevant plot happens at CTU

March 16 2010 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

They should have stopped after season 2. Like last season, I watched the first 4 hours set my tivo to record the season and eventuaally cancelled the tivo and deleted any recorded episodes. Just never had the urge to watch after the opening episodes and after reading this recap I'm glad I stopped watching. And wasn't that EMP thing done before?

March 16 2010 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ctunightfall

Why is CTU so unsecure? The FBI didn't have this problem last season. Seriously, I think plastic wrap could secure a perimeter better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fErbxtKMOWM

March 16 2010 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply