December 20, 2014

Amanpour Offered 'This Week' Anchor Job

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 16th 2010 11:03AM
AmanpourThough it hasn't been officially announced yet, FishBowl DC is reporting that CNN correspondent Christiane Amanpour has been offered the job anchoring ABC's Sunday morning news show 'This Week.' The show was previously anchored by George Stephanopolous, who is now on 'Good Morning America.'

This would be quite a change for Amanpour. Her work on CNN has her trotting all over the globe (and hosting her own international affairs show 'Amanpour'). Sources say that she has told friends that she doesn't want to move to Washington, D.C., she wants to do the show out of New York City and also travel a lot for the show and report from foreign locales. This could change the focus of 'This Week' from mostly domestic political issues to international issues.

I'm wondering if CBS has tried to get Amanpour on a full-time basis. CNN's Anderson Cooper does regular reports for '60 Minutes' and so has Amanpour.

Rosemary Poulin

Christianne. PLEASE stay with CNN. I watch CNN for most of my news and don't want to channel hop. Selfish I know, but you are such an assett to CNN we need your wealth of talent and class to keep CNN number one cable news.

March 16 2010 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ruth

It seems to me that George Stephanopolous should just resume his old job as host of "This Week". I don't like him on in the morning.

March 16 2010 at 4:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Reagan60

seems to me taking this job would be a step down

March 16 2010 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LARRY

THAT WOULD CERTAINLY BE A DEAD END JOB--A JOB TO NOWHERE----------------

March 16 2010 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rodlang

They can hire whoever they want but Amanpour is very liberal in her political views. Tapper is more even-handed.

March 16 2010 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kizirk1

this lady is the most talented personality on issues of the islamic news. so imagine her getting into domestic issues.Seems to be able to travel and report in places where women are not given their proper respect. I here to say that if you can get her ,do it, a no brainer for people who really know the real deal and not looking for miss cutie on dutie.

March 16 2010 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pam

Jake Tapper has done a superb job as the anchor on This Week. He was objective, asked the pertinent, well researched questions, and didn't allow anyone to dodge answering. I thought he was far better than George was, and heads above Terry Moran and the other try-outs I have seen. I have watched that show for almost 20 years, and I will definitely not be watching if Amanpour gets the job. Huge disappointment. I think ABC is copying NBC's Leno/O'Brien missteps in trying to change a winning format, going USA politics to Amanpour's international slant. If I wanted her world view, I would watch her on CNN, and I don't.

March 16 2010 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joan

Christiane is a great reporter, no matter where or who she is working for. Enjoy her informative reporting and wish her well.

March 16 2010 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris

Jake Tapper would be far better suited for this show. I'll be less interested in watching if CA is given the anchor seat.

March 16 2010 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to chris's comment
Marc

Christianne Amanpour is one of the most talented & respected international reporters of our time. I respect her a lot for being a female journalist doing reports from parts of the world that most male journalists wouldn't dare go to. She will be excellent at any of her endevours on any network. I doubt if she will leave CNN and take just an anchor job.

March 16 2010 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply