July 22, 2014

'Damages' - 'I Look Like Frankenstein' Recap

by Jane Boursaw, posted Mar 16th 2010 1:15PM
Damages, Rose Byrne
(S03E08) "What is the point of doing anything unless you're doing good?' - Arthur Frobisher, on his Whirlwind Initiative to spread the word about wind power

So Arthur Frobisher is back, trying to rebuild his image with the wholesome message of wind power. He seems a little out of place to me, though. Like they stuck him in there just to bring him back, but he doesn't really fit into the big picture here. The scenes with him and Terry Brooks almost seemed like they were in the wrong season.

And Matthew McConaughey? That seemed like an odd placement in the show, for some reason. I guess I sort of think of 'Damages' as being in an alternative universe or something.

We learned yet more stuff about the dumpster, the flash-forward, and how everything fits in together: The fact that Tom and Ellen were going to start a law firm together, that the homeless guy is a friend of Tom's, that Tom and Ellen went there to see if he knew anything about Carol Tobin, that Lenny was the one knocking on the door in the flash-forward when Tom was talking on the phone, that Lenny brought Tom a bunch of money, and that Tom had invested a lot with Tobin. My first thought is that someone wanted that money, and that's how Tom ended up dead in the dumpster, but that's probably way too simplistic for this show.

My favorite scene of the night had to be when Ellen congratulated Patty on her upcoming grandma-dom. You knew that Ellen knew that Patty really didn't know anything about it, but was trying to make it seem like she did know.

I already feel bad for that poor kid; he or she doesn't know what he's getting into, not only with Patty's hot mess, but also the fact that Patty dug up some dirt on Jill being an unfit mother to her own two kids, and then lied to Michael that she hadn't talked to Patty, when in fact, she did. Think she'll take the deal Patty offered? And, really, Patty? A hundred thousand? Two hundred thousand? If Jill walks away for anything less than 5 million, I'll be disappointed.

I also loved that Michael's art show was called Michael Hewes: Emancipation.

That Lenny is some sad character. The moment between him and Marilyn Tobin was awkward, but I'm sure it comes from the fact that Lenny had no real relationship with his own family -- well, not his dad anyway -- and thus adopted the Tobin family as his own. But the moment between him and Marilyn almost seemed a little sexual.

I'm trying to sort out what happened with Lenny putting that bag of ... something ... into the dumpster on Thanksgiving night, and the homeless guy seeing it. It's not big enough to be a body. I guess it could be a head, though! I've heard that human heads weigh about eight pounds. Don't ask me how I know that.

Also that Joe Tobin gave Carol the vial, so ... it's looking like he's the one who killed Danielle, and Carol finished the task by throwing the vial in the water. Is that what you guys get out of that?

A few quotes:

"It must be nice to be out of that hotel." - Patty to Ellen, on her new place.

"If you've ever seen me on camera, I look like Frankenstein." - Frobisher to Brooks about doing the ad campaign.

"I feel it's our responsibility to our children ... I'm still a greedy monster to most people out there. My new image is going to take some getting used to ... It may take a while, but I will do what it takes to make this work." - Frobisher, on his new image.

"Well, that's not gonna happen, so why don't you just take a check and disappear from my son's life? Consider this the carrot. Believe me, you don't want the stick. - Patty to Jill, who said she just came there to make peace.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Pam.I,Am

AWESOME followup Jane...I think you put everything in perspective. I also agree with you on Carol killing Danielle. I was thinking the same thing as soon as I saw it. I am TIRED of seeing Frobisher though.

The timelines are a breeze for me to keep up with. I've been watching the show from the very beginning (and numerous times afterwards).

Great review I will be reading next week :)

March 16 2010 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jane Boursaw

Alright! Now it's my turn to say: Did you guys even WATCH the episode? And you call yourselves commenters? Go get a new ... commenting job!

Now that I've got that out of my system ... after Terry turned down Frobisher on the wind power campaign gig, Frobisher called Matthew McConaughey, who apparently told him to get in touch with his people (we only heard Frobisher's side of the phone call). Then Frobisher gave that little speech about how it might take a while to turn his image around.

Re Danielle's murder, I watched the scene again with Carol and Joe, where he showed her the vial, then it cut to her having tea with Danielle, and then later throwing the vial into the water. So it does appear that she's the one who killed Danielle, which is what I've thought all along.

When I first watched the scene, though, I wondered on the timeline, in that Joe might have killed Danielle first, then showed Carol the vial, and then she threw it in the water. At this point, though, I'm going with Carol killing Danielle, since that's how it played in last night's ep. Definitely appears to be a collaboration between the two, though, don't you think? I guess she could have taken the vial without his knowledge.

Huuuze - Not only do you have to watch each episode -- twice helps -- but you have to know the entire backstory from the beginning of the series to really get a grasp of all the little nuances. But you know that.

Gordy - It would be great if someone did a storyboard with all of the timelines. Let us know if you find anything. Probably won't be me!

March 16 2010 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

The McConaughey mention was a reference to a phone conversation. He turned Frobisher down.

And yes, I have no doubt Frobisher will be tied in to the current story very soon.

March 16 2010 at 6:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy Martin

He threw the boots and the cell phone into the dumpster that's how the homeless guy ended up with them. But the question is, why did he throw those things in there? And I didn't see Matthew anywhere.

March 16 2010 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Huuuze

I always get the feeling that TV Squad bloggers don't watch the entire season of show. Rather they comment on individual episodes they viewed, which causes some miscues. For instance, I did not get the impression that Joe Tobin killed Danielle. Based upon that scene, I felt that he had given the vile vial to Carol, not that he handed it off to her following the murder.

March 16 2010 at 5:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sean

Matthew McConaughey? Where was he?

I think Frobisher's return will fit in very soon. Damages does that; it'll fit in an episode or two.

March 16 2010 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mettlemod

Where was Matthew McConaughey?

March 16 2010 at 2:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

"Is that what you guys get out of that?"

Carol is the one who had tea with Danielle earlier on the day she was found dead, so I always assumed she had dosed Danielle's cup. What we didn't know was how she obtained the potassium solution, so that was what we learned last night.

March 16 2010 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jane Boursaw

Got it - thanks, Lee! Any other thoughts on this ep, other than my typo?

March 16 2010 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Okay, in the Patty Hewes vs. Miranda Priestly match up, I'm back in Patty's camp. She was on point last night, loves it. "Consider the carrot...you don't want the stick..." FABULOUS LINE!!!

Is someone doing a Damages timeline, kinda like LOST? I wish someone were putting all the pieces together so I could get some help keeping the sequences correct.

March 16 2010 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply