July 23, 2014

'House' - 'Black Hole' Recap

by Danny Gallagher, posted Mar 16th 2010 5:22AM
Chase (Jesse Spencer, R) and Taub (Peter Jacobson, L) remove a small section of inflamed brain tissue from their patient, Abby (guest star Cali Fredrichs, C), in the HOUSE episode
(S06E15) I couldn't find a really good quote to transcribe or even characterize this week's episode, because the whole turn of events are a jumbled lump of clay in my head.

Normally, a show that goes by so fast that I need a drag chute just to figure out what's going on would turn me away from it, but the dramatic tension that 'House' creates kept me velcroed in front of it all the way to the end.

Sure my head still hurts from trying to understand the science of it all, but the dramatic and even comedic angles makes for some fine-tasting Advil.

This week, House and his jolly band of medical investigators have to decipher the strange case of a teenage girl who suffers some sort of heart infection that causes blood to foam out of her mouth. Then it switches gears into a neurological disorder when she starts having strange hallucinations from a black hole to a ghostly image of her younger self imploring her to tell her boyfriend her big "secret."

As usual, the case is intriguing from start to finish. This one almost sucked my eyeballs right out of my sockets because of the bizarre psychological twist it took during the first third of the episode. It had me scratching my head, even if the ending seemed painfully obvious when it came to light.

The backstory of the doctor's usual personal trails left me wanting a little more than what we got, but that should pass in the subsequent episodes. We were treated to House and James' usual 'Odd Couple' antics. This time, the medical mismatches get into a huff-fest over James' choice of furniture, or lack thereof. What seems like House's usual pranks turns into his underhanded way to get James to express himself and, God forbid, learn something about himself. His purchase of an organ (a musical organ, sickos) for House to make him feel more at home in his condo was a nice touch.

Chris seems to be having marital troubles over something completely trivial like going to yoga with the missus, but House manages to defer something much bigger out of him: the possibility that he's looking to have or already is having an affair. It doesn't mine the truth by the closing credits and leaves another interesting teaser to look forward to. It also gives House another chance to get up to his old tricks when he starts sexting his wife on her iPhone, a moment that seemed like the most bizarre product placement since the 'Seinfeld' "spongeworthy" episode.

Part of me also hoped we would get to learn more about House's father after last week's episode revealed he had been reading his religious self-help book. Then again, the drama of the situation made for some tasty chum to keep me invested in the rest of the season. After all, 'Jaws' didn't become one of the most enthralling movies of all time by revealing the shark in the opening scenes.

Other observations:

- Do doctors really possess the technology to see images of what their patients are thinking? And if so, why hasn't Nintendo harnessed this awesome breakthrough to make the most awesome "Metroid" sequel ever?

- Part of me really wanted the science teacher to pronounce "planetarium" without the "T."

J

Does anyone know the name of the song that House started playing on the organ and then it transitioned into the real song?

March 17 2010 at 9:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to J's comment
malcolm

Procol Harum "A Whiter Shade of Pale:

March 17 2010 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
itsy

Where IS House's piano?

March 16 2010 at 10:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stevie

i was really pissed off about the 'mind-reading' technology, and especially that a skeptic like house would buy into it. stupid, stupid, stupid.

March 16 2010 at 10:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kaxx

I think the best quote of the show should instead be a picture.... a picture of Wilson sitting in that ridiculous circular seat... the expression on his face is great!

I'm wondering how one hooks up with their bf's dad and then gets back together with the bf... the shame (and disgust) I think would be too much....

And I, too, was waiting for "plane-arium," but no luck... :(

March 16 2010 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
claire

First (surprised no one commented on this), the answer is not "painfully obvious".
How could anyone guess that a girl slept with her boyfriend's father. It's disgusting.

The actual episode was great, though I thought that the answer should have had something to do with black holes. It feels like they just threw all the outer space references in there to throw you off track, and to pick a cool title.

March 16 2010 at 4:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jgreenefields

I never,never,never ever sit and try to dissect episodes of House, I am just so grateful to have a quality show on. The
fear and disappointment comes at the end of each show, when I realize that we are one (1) show closer to the end of the series.

March 16 2010 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

I agree. The characters themselves never reffer to one another by their first names. Funny that you always mention Greg by House, and Wilson by James. No mention of that fact that the girlfriend was having sex wih her boyfriend's father? Kind of a big plot development. I actually missed last week's "House" so it was enjoyable to watch this episode, even if it wasn't a great episode. Its good to have new episodes again.

March 16 2010 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ben

OK, referring to these characters by their first names is just weird.

March 16 2010 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ben's comment
scott

Chris? Who's Chris? heh heh...

March 16 2010 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul McCall

When would Taub HAVE any time to go to yoga with his wife?

March 16 2010 at 8:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Takayo

According to the House MD medical reviews over at http://politedissent.com no, doctors don't actually have technology that works to map what the brain sees in such a way. At least its not as advanced yet.

I thought this was a pretty useless episode. Taub's drama with his wife could have been better and Wilson shopping for furniture disappointed. I wish we'd gotten more memorable lines from House and Wilson's antics but no.

March 16 2010 at 7:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply