'American Idol' - 'One of 12 Voted Off' Recap

by Kona Gallagher, posted Mar 17th 2010 11:52PM
american idol top 12I don't know why, but I was thinking up until this show started that we were still losing one guy and one girl; but the days of the competition being split evenly are over. We're only losing one tonight, so one of the genders is going to be completely safe. It's hard for me to guess who's going home, though, as last night's episode was one of those nights in which I questioned what show I was watching as compared to the judges.

They, apparently, were watching some sort of star-studded tribute to The Rolling Stones, while I was watching a hot mess. The contestants seemed way over-praised, in general, while the one who wouldn't have made Mick Jagger question all of his career choices, Crystal Bowersox, was unduly criticized. It was crazy-town last night, so I'm really interested to see who America ultimately thinks should go.

According to our poll at the end of last night's episode, you all think that Lacey was the weakest, and while that's certainly hard to argue with, I'm having a hard time choosing just one. I'm amazed at what a front-runner Siobhan has become, as I thought she gave a terrible performance last night, while she overwhelmingly got your vote as the best. I'm excited to see how this all shakes out.

We start out the evening as we start so many -- on an awkward note, when Simon tells Ryan that he needs to cut out the eyeballing. Simon asks Ryan if he wants his job, and keeps saying "eyeballing" over and over again, and it's definitely a weird way to introduce the first performance, David Cook singing 'Jumpin' Jack Flash.' I was never the hugest David Cook fan, but compared to the performances last night, he's pretty great.

After the break, we get the first Ford commercial of the year. We have all of the contestants throwing paint on some Ford Fiestas to 'Tick, Tick Boom.' On the 'American Idol' scale of "eh" to "mortifying," this ad actually isn't so bad. Much worse, is the segment that follows about the contestants creating their own graphics for the fiestas. Lacey: "That's awesome. It's like leopard print... and it has a bird on it..." Yikes. We also find out that Casey James wasn't in the commercial, as he had come down with the flu. Paige also had laryngitis, and keeping that in mind, it's amazing how well they both did last night, so hopefully that will be reflected in the voting.

After the Ford segment is over, Ryan starts telling the contestants their fate:

Paige Miles: BOTTOM THREE
Lee Dewyze: SAFE
Siobhan Magnus: SAFE
Aaron Kelly: SAFE
Andrew Garcia: SAFE
Tim Urban: BOTTOM THREE

At the end of the first batch of results, we have two of our bottom three, Paige and Tim. I haven't been in love with Paige during this competition, but she did a pretty good job last night. Tim, on the other hand, had a completely ridiculous performance, but he did a pretty good job with what he had, if that makes sense. Basically, he did a decent job singing a truly horrific version of that song.

Before we find out who's rounding out the bottom three, we have Orianthi performing 'According to You.' It's a decent enough performance. At first, I'm underwhelmed with her particular brand of pre-packaged rock, but she does some pretty impressive things on the guitar mid-way through the song, so I can somewhat excuse the fan that's blowing her hair back throughout the entire song.

After the break, we return to find out who else is in the bottom three:

Didi Benami: SAFE
Crystal Bowersox: SAFE
Katie Stevens: SAFE
Michael Lynche: SAFE
Casey James: SAFE
Lacey Brown: BOTTOM THREE

So after all of that, the bottom three is Paige, Tim and Lacey. We find out immediately that Tim is safe for another week, so it's going to be a girl who's going home. First, though, we have Ke$ha, who is performing her new single, 'Blah, Blah, Blah.' There's so much Auto-Tune that it's hard to tell if she's performing live even a little bit, but I suppose that's beside the point.

When we come back from the break, it's finally time to find out who's leaving the competition. Unsurprisingly, it's Lacey, and even though they're bringing back the whole "sing for your life" thing I hated from last season, somehow I doubt the judges are going to use their save on her.

Sure enough, after she performs, the judges unanimously decide that they won't be saving her. I can't say this is a surprising outcome, especially since you guys called it. But what do you think now that it's all said and done? Did America make the right choice?

Debbie

It was as expected, I thought those 3 would be in the bottom 3. I thought Tim or Paige would of went sooner, but Lacey was not going to win it anyway. That will go to Siobhan or Crystal. The Dark Horse I dare to say may be Dwight. He starts showing some sense that he could actually win it. He could win it. I really dont think he realizes how much talent he has in his voice. I hope he finds it soon

March 18 2010 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patti

Ke$ha was terrible-I can't honestly think of anything I've seen on TV that was THAT bad, it was ridiculous, dumb, and foolhardy. She looked trashy, those dancing tv's were stupid, and when she went and put the Indian headdress on, my husband and I were like WTF???? What does that have to do with anything? Oh wait, the rest of it didn't make sense. We were left confused and bewildered. I forsee this chick 'found dead by a dumpster' in about 5 years. Drug addicts trying to be Lady Gaga aren't in high demand.

March 18 2010 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leroy

I disagree about Ke$ha. In general I hate the sound of auto-tune, but on this rare occasion, it was used well. It was only on for the chorus and was clearly off for the verses where her voice was clear and bright. It made a nice contrast and contributed to the overall impact of the song.

March 18 2010 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Every week Tim stays on the show is a travesty. I know he's the VFTW poster boy, but he seems to have a legitimate following, which is inexplicable.

I like Crystal and Lee, and Siobhan is starting to grow on me, but on the whole, this is the worst season so far. I couldn't help but think of Anoop Desai last night. He would have been a frontrunner this year, and he sucks.

I will not watch again after Simon leaves.

March 18 2010 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dkny

we should have been able to vote that kesha person off - all of these kids even Tim have a chance if she and her two performing dope's can have a pro gig

March 18 2010 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mitch

This season is by far the worst of any American Idol season. There are maybe 3 people in the top 12 that can possibly win. They might as well get rid of the other 9 because they need to fade away quickly as none of them have any chance of a musical career. I have always been a big fan of Simon but his inability to focus for more than 5 minutes is getting annoying. He is constantly talking to Kara when the camera pans to him because he is bored. The one good thing to happen this year is the addition of Ellen who brings humor to the show. Remember the judges give opinions they do not vote so what they say is really not that important.

March 18 2010 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JACRED

I didnt think Lacey would win this..but I do feel that there are worse singers than her...I also think they sent Lilly home too soon...so for me these past two weeks I feel werent right..

March 18 2010 at 9:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NightOwl

No quibbles with Lacey being voted off, though it was tough to choose between her and Urban.
I have to agree that I was also disappointed with the quality of most of the performances. Especially Siobhan. I love her and was excited to hear what she would do, but her performance was very inconsistent. Half of it was very good and half of it was pretty bad. As awesome as it is when she throws back her head and wails those huge notes, she needs to be wary of over relieing on it. The last two weeks it has fit the song and was great, but she cant just shoe horn it in to every song just because she can do it. Andrews performances have not lived up to the promise of his excellent voice either. Gimme Shelter is a great song to let it rip on, but he dropped the ball and was very drab. I actually kind of liked the reggae flavor of Urbans song, he just didnt sing it well at all. Lee was very good. I really enjoyed the cool, laid back flow of his song. If he gets some confidence in himself and picks the right song , he is capable of having one of those amazing "moments" that Simon is always talking about.
That performance by Ke$ha was just horrible to the point of being embarrassing. I have heard two songs from her and they both have the same theme, " I am a hard drinking, do whatever the hell I want , party slut". Not only is she artistically vapid, but her whole message is inapproriate, especially for a family show like AI.

March 18 2010 at 8:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marykayeee

I just wish Crystal would get rid of the dreads and have some kind of makeover. Then she might look like an American Idol.

March 18 2010 at 7:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
caiuslupus

Lacey wasn't wonderful, and she wasn't going to win, but damn, Urban was horrifyingly bad, and Paige wasn't much better.

March 18 2010 at 2:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply