August 21, 2014

NBC Sets Launch Date for 'Losing It,' Yet Another Reality Show

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 17th 2010 4:02PM
Jillian MichaelsDo we need another reality show on NBC about losing weight? IT DOESN'T MATTER. We're getting one anyway. Jillian Michaels, from the same network's 'The Biggest Loser,' has a new show premiering June 1 called 'Losing It.'

Each week Michaels will visit a different family and try to help them with their eating habits, health and exercise. She'll replace their Ding Dongs with carrot sticks, their ice cream with lettuce, and will break into their cars and steal them so they're forced to walk everywhere.

Getting people to eat better and exercise are noble goals, I just hate having another another of television taken up by yet another reality show (and a spinoff of one still on the air yet). I like scripted shows.

Hey, why not make this a scripted drama? Maybe call it 'Sara Summers, Health Investigator.' Each week Sara (played by Jennifer Garner) infiltrates a family, posing as a long lost relative or as a friend, and secretly helps them eat better and lose weight. Maybe there can be a mythology to the show and an evil organization hell bent on stopping people from getting in shape.

bkdealer

Sounds like it's based on the British show You Are What You Eat. Probably won't show them in their underwear or discuss their bowel movements as You Are What You Eat does, but otherwise sounds just like it. You can catch it on BBC America. My favorite part is when the host (a small but very bossy woman) shows the family a big table covered with all the brown, fried, unhealthy food they eat in a week.

March 17 2010 at 6:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bkdealer's comment
RobynM

That's exactly what I thought upon seeing this too. The small, bossy woman is Gillian McKeith.

March 17 2010 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike McNamara

When I saw this headline, I thought it was going to be based on the 1983 Tom Cruise/Shelley Long movie... like "it" that was going to be lost was someone's virginity.

So once again, I'm totally disappointed with an NBC programming decision. I know it's been said a 1000x before, but jeez, does that network suck! I used to wonder "I can't believe this is the same network that so recently gave us Seinfeld and Friends" -- now it hardly seems like it could be the same network that gave us the 2nd season of Heroes... and that's just plain sad.

March 17 2010 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

The thing I hate the most about The Biggest Loser is that people get voted off!

Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

I could be wrong. I don't know, I've never seen more than a minute of that show.

March 17 2010 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Michael's comment
John

They get voted off but it's like Survivor usually - you have to vote someone off if you/your team loses the least weight.

And how many other shows does NBC have about losing weight? BL is the only one I can think of.

March 17 2010 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply