April 23, 2014

'77 Sunset Strip' Coming to the Big Screen

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 18th 2010 3:04PM
77 Sunset StripPart of me wants to smile when reading this news but the other part of me wants to scratch my head. Nikki Finke says that Warner Brothers is doing a big-screen remake of the late '50s/early '60s hit show '77 Sunset Strip.'

*crickets*

How many people actually remember this show? I certainly do, but even at my age I only remember it from reruns. This seems to me to be yet another example of Hollywood taking something for the nostalgia value and bringing it to today. I mean, here's the problem. Those who do remember the show are going to be irritated that there are different people in it and it's not done the same, and the people who don't remember the show don't care! What audience are they going for with this?

If you don't remember the show, it was one of the many private eye shows (along with shows like 'Bourbon Street Beat,' 'Surfside 6,' and 'Hawaiian Eye') that Warner Brothers did at the time. It starred Efrem Zimbalist Jr, Roger Smith, and Edd "Kookie" Byrnes. It's actually a fairly influential show. You can see it was the blueprint for later shows like 'Riptide.' The big-screen movie will be directed by Greg Berlanti, writer/producer on such shows as 'Brothers & Sisters,' 'Eli Stone,' 'Dirty Sexy Money,' and 'Everwood.' He also wrote the new big-screen 'Green Lantern' movie.

If there's one thing that makes me hopeful for this is that it sounds like they're actually going to make it a period piece, set in the late '50s/early '60s, maybe with some 'Mad Men' influence. Here's the opening and a quick clip about the show.

Debbie

BimBom, where do you get all your info from? I read with interest all the new shows coming out.

March 19 2010 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jgreenefields

However wrote the intro missed up big time, it was not until
Roger Smith left the show that Efrem Zimbalist,Jr.,became a Government Agent, he and Roger were in the Air Force together and thought about opening a Detective Agency.

March 19 2010 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ole Guy

Sad but true. However, I find comfort and solace in the fact that Hollywood, in recent years, has seen the wisdom in a return to those days of self-discovery. Perhaps ole values are not completely lost. I suppose we ole farts view these remakes (Out of Towners, etc) with a combination of comfort and disdain...comfort in that current generations may possibly get a glimpse at some of the issues which helped shape the older gens...disdain in that, somehow, Hollywood just can't seem to get it right concerning some of the details which burn bright in our collective memories. Be that as it may, it's comforting and, perhaps, wise that Hollywood sees the wisdom in revisiting old values, like women-folk wearing more than three bandaids!

March 19 2010 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John F.C. Taylor

Oh no! Not another TV to big screen movie! This things usually fail to gain much of an audence regardless of who has the roles. Sure do hope that they'll try to get the surviving cast members cameo appearences in the movie.That's about the only thing that'll make seeing the movie worth it.

March 19 2010 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott Shively

I was a fan of the show and when I went to Los Angeles one summer I made my parents take me to Dino's for dinner. As I recall he wasn't there that night.

March 19 2010 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony

This is the ginciest.

March 19 2010 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kenneth koelling

Rerus? Where can I find reruns of this show? I've been looking for years and never found any reruns? And where's the DVD sets of this show? I learned to play piano just so I could play the theme song. So cool.

March 19 2010 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ole Guy

Ah...a full bottle of Pepsi, Sea Hunt, The Original Gunsmoke, and "77...CLACK CLACK!...SUNSET STRIP"! BRING IT ON! Who's gonna play the part of Efram Z?

March 19 2010 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David S.

Why would they bother doing this show again? I was not around then, but have seen a few of the old shows in reruns. Let's be truthful -- they weren't that good. Hollywood is desperate.

March 19 2010 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply