October 25, 2014

'Daniel Boone,' 'Davy Crockett' Star Fess Parker Dead at 85

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 19th 2010 9:00AM
Fess ParkerThere might be only a certain age group that remembers the TV shows 'Daniel Boone' and 'Davy Crockett' (part of 'Disneyland'), two shows that were really popular with kids in the 50s (it was a long time before video games and Facebook). The star of those two shows, Fess Parker, has died at the age of 85 in California.

Parker had a rather successful run in the movies too, appearing in such classics as 'Old Yeller,' 'The Kid From Left Field,' and the killer ants flick 'Them!,' which still freaks me out today. A lot of the films/shows that Parker appeared in were Disney films. He also starred in the short-lived TV version of 'Mr. Smith Goes To Washington' and episodes of 'Burke's Law' and 'The Alfred Hitchcock Hour.'

For the past several years, Parker had his own winery and wine label and hotel in Santa Barbara. After the jump, the theme songs to 'Davy Crockett' and 'Daniel Boone.'

Nathaniel

I'm a young guy who was aware of Fess Parker and I knew the Davy Crockett theme song, although I never saw the show. I still respected the guy anyway. This is too bad... and also, I have no idea how I missed this news for a week! I actually had the theme in my head earlier this week. Very sad.

March 25 2010 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

That is very sad. We lost Davey Crockett and Daniel Boone on the same day. I always liked Fess Parker. We are losing many of our icons, Bob.

March 19 2010 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jgreenefields

Going to the Winery every three months, will not be the same, I always hoped he would be in, the next time.Losing Peter Graves earlier in the week(he was Fury's Daddy to all of us at that age) was a double whammy, but it also reminded me, that all of us of a certain generation shared a wonderful childhood that NO other did never was life that innocent.

March 19 2010 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

Every boy in our neighborhood wanted or had a "coonskin" hat. And those hippies had some younger siblings that wouldn't miss Dan'l Boone.

March 19 2010 at 3:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

No need to make people feel older than they are. 'Daniel Boone' ran from 1964-1970. By then, kids from the 50s were grooving out on mary jane and each other.

March 19 2010 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob

You were my super hero when i was a kid.Drove my family nuts singing the ballad of Davy Crockett.RIP Davy

March 19 2010 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply