October 31, 2014

Looks Like Nobody Cares About 'FlashForward'

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 19th 2010 1:09PM
FlashForward
Flash forward to 2011 and you'll probably see that 'FlashForward' isn't on ABC's schedule. That's the only thing that one can think after last night's episode. The show returned after several months off the air and was greeted by a huge yawn from viewers. It got the lowest ratings yet, down 10% from the last episode that aired.

In happier news (well, for NBC, not ABC), 'The Marriage Ref' is actually getting better ratings-wise. It was up 8%. I watched last night's episode with Jason Alexander, Martha Stewart, and Cedric The Entertainer and I didn't hate it. I see now what they're going for, and it's entertaining to a point (depending on the celebs they get and the marriage problems presented). It just doesn't seem like a show I can watch every week, and I bet a lot of viewers have that feeling.

On the other hand, I can see myself watching 'FlashForward' every week. I had been on the fence about whether or not to jump back into the show when it returned, but I decided to watch last night's two-hour episode and you know what? I got hooked all over again. At the same time I wasn't too happy that (SPOILER) they killed off Ricky Jay, one of the most interesting characters on the show (and in real-life) so maybe its best that it's one season and out.

Justin

Are people really hurting for a serial so much they are tricking themselves into believing programs like V and FlashForward are good? V blew its wad before the hiatus and is now just another action adventure TV show, just with aliens instead of a criminal syndicate. It might as well be CSI NCIS Law & Order: Aliens. FlashForward is slightly better but it's building around the mysteries rather than the characters in a desperate effort to be the next Lost. People care about the mysteries in Lost because they care about most of the characters and I don't see anyone really caring about most of the characters in FlashForward.

March 29 2010 at 10:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JerseyGirl71

I have to agree with some comments... I'm really tired of ABC not giving new shows the chance they deserve to find their audience and do well. I loved the first part of Fast Forward and frankly, when it disappeared from their channel lineup, I thought it had been canceled being one of those rare shows that takes time to develop. I hate getting sucked into shows to have this happen (i.e. Jericho, The 4400, etc.). For some reason all these networks think viewers only want mind-numbing reality and foo-foo tv! I prefer shows that show imagination!!

March 25 2010 at 9:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

I still can't get over how amazingly bland this show is. It has some decent ideas, but it's written like a soap opera and rehashes the same few plot points over and over ad nauseum. The characters are all written the same way, think the same way, and either fall into the improbably angsty or enlightened category. Once the endgame date hits, the show's essentially over, second blackout or no.

March 22 2010 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tiffanizora

I love Flash Forward! The new 2 hour episode was so interesting! I like most of the characters and I'm so glad it's back on. I also like 'V', which will be coming back!

Keep up the good work on Flash Forward!

March 21 2010 at 7:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KFC

I love this show, but I think all this making us wait so long to continue a story is ridiculous. I can't stand these huge lapses and it absolutely KILLS my continued interest. I LOATHE reality TV and with all these big gaps in watching, I am not watching TV like I used to. Helps me get more stuff done, but if the Networks want me to come back, get rid of all the crap reality shows and quit making me wait so darned long to continue watching my stories.
Having gotten that off of my chest, I think this show is brilliant and full of twists and really keeps me guessing and interested, when it's on... I know I am not the target demographic of the network and all (being an over 35 female with a brain), but I appreciate someone feeling that there are enough people out here who can follow a complex story line. I sincerely hope that the "powers that be" keep this in mind when deciding the shows to bring back for next year. We are out here, we will watch intelligent TV, please give us that chance to do so.

March 21 2010 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shelly

Maybe if ABC had put a fraction of the "push" behind Flash Forward as they did that crappy "Cougar Town", more people would have been drawn to it. The hiatus didn't help, either.

Another thing to consider: The timing for "Flash Forward" was bad. During bad economic times, people don't want to watch programs which are too dark or cerebral. They want escape. This is why, during the Great Depression, mindless musicals and sappy Shirley Temple films were all hits.

Past is Prologue.

March 21 2010 at 10:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew

Flash Foward and Modern Family are the only new shows that I am still watching. I hope they finish the show somehow and don't leave us hanging.

March 21 2010 at 4:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jenny

oh yeah, let's not forget 'picket fences'!!! it was on for (4) years, winning an emmy for best drama each year it was on. then, mysteriously it couldnt find a nite to call home & it was cancelled for low ratings. how can you watch a show that you & the critics love when they keeep moving it around? that's the sure fire sign it's gonna be cancelled. to date, they have only relesed seaon #1 on dvd. they need to get off their collective butts & put the rest of the series out already. after all, they had some HUGE stars on this show (hello, don cheadle?)

March 21 2010 at 3:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jenny

nbc did the exact same thing with the great & smart show, 'Life' & 'freaks & geeks'. at least i can buy the series on dvd. abc also axed 'my so called life', which was an excellent show! fox took out 'boston public' way too soon, also & to date, hasnt released it on dvd. bastards!

March 21 2010 at 3:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

"...do it ONLY you have taken..."

Missing word there, Joey.

March 21 2010 at 2:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply