April 23, 2014

'Parks and Recreation' - 'Park Safety' Recap

by Kona Gallagher, posted Mar 19th 2010 12:05AM
parks and recreation park safety
(S02E19) How do you guys feel about Jerry? As amusing as it is to see Leslie, the moral center of the show, make fun of someone, the whole "ridiculing Jerry 24-7" thing makes me kind of uncomfortable. He acknowledges that he gets made fun of, but unlike PIerce on 'Community,' he doesn't seem in on the joke at all.

Mark pops in toward the end of this episode to make a good point: Leslie's problem is that one of her employees would make up a story about a mugging because he's afraid of his co-workers' reactions. With that said, "What would you do for a Klondike bar? Kill your wife?" was pretty freakin' hilarious.

In addition to the relentless mocking of Jerry, I also wasn't too keen on Andy Samberg's character. He just seemed like the personification of an 'SNL' skit instead of a real character. In fact, I'm pretty sure Will Ferrell actually did that character on SNL. While he was funny at times, in general, he just seemed to take up time. Probably not coincidentally, that's pretty much how I feel about Samberg on 'SNL.'

What I found to be the most interesting thing about this week's episode of 'Parks and Rec' was the B plot. I mentioned last week how Ron Swanson makes the best use of his time out of anybody in the world, and that was only further boosted this week when he held an emergency self-defense class for everyone. Not only was he able to book a Dojo on such short notice, but he actually had some major skills. Ron Swanson truly can do anything, can't he?

I was also quite intrigued by the fact that Anne seems to be falling for Andy again. We've seen hints of this in the past few episodes, but this is the first one in which she's really laid it out there. Honestly, I don't understand this. I get the idea that something only becomes appealing once you can no longer have it, but beyond that? I've got nothing. The only reason I can think of that they're doing this is because Mark (Paul Schneider) is leaving the show, and they want a good reason to break them up.

Realistically, Anne should know that April is exactly the type of person Andy needs: She's a kid. She doesn't care that he barely has a job and he can't really pay his bills. He's kind of cute and he's in a band. That's really all she needs. Anne is a little bit older, she has a career, and she's outgrown that part of her life. Obviously, logic doesn't often apply to love, but still. If they go too much further with this, I'm going to have a hard time swallowing this story -- much as I would a soggy breakfast burrito pulled from a creek that I refused to share with my dog.

Nathaniel

As much as Andy Samberg's character was ridiculous, I just saw it as Andy Samberg doing an Andy Samberg sort of character, so I let it pass.

Can you believe Andy (now talking about the character) wasn't a regular in season 1? After the season 1 finale (with the then-named Scare Crow Boat), I was rooting for him to be a season 2 regular... so glad they went for that!

March 22 2010 at 1:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phil

The Andy Samberg's character was totally unreal, even insulting. He was making fun of the character instead of being the character. Compare that to a couple of ditzes like Jerry or Andy. They play them as if they have respect for their characters. They don't make fun of them.

March 21 2010 at 11:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Andy Samberg sucks.

March 20 2010 at 2:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R-Bro

This was one of the funniest eps of P&R yet. Actually laughed out loud a few times instead of just the usual mild chuckles.

March 19 2010 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hugeliver

I DIED laughing at the poster of Jerry with the black eye.
"Keep Our Parks Safe"

WHERE can I get that??

March 19 2010 at 9:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to hugeliver's comment
Matthew Thomas

I find the Jerry mockery completely hilarious. I just loved all the moments when they kept mocking him - The opening segment, when they were discussing Jerry because he was late, his presentation.

Parks and Recreation surprises me each week by continuing to have hilarious episodes. I simply love this show!

March 19 2010 at 3:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LRM

Not the best episode, but still not disappointing. Andy Samberg's character was horrible though.

March 19 2010 at 2:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
m lewis

did anyone get the name of Jerry's dog?

March 19 2010 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to m lewis's comment
lupita

I think it was something like Lord Sheldon.

March 19 2010 at 9:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kip

I got the feeling that, on some level, Anne misses being Andy's mother/nurse figure, even though she found it annoying at the same time. Maybe Mark's just *too* independent for her? She is a nurse after all; she's used to taking care of people. And I wouldn't mind seeing an all-out passive-aggressive catfight between Anne and April.

Everyone hating Jerry bothers me too, but so did everyone hating Toby at first on The Office. So maybe the Jerry-bashing will grow on me too.

March 19 2010 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply