April 24, 2014

The TV Squad Podcast: New Shows, Conan Tour, 'Breaking Bad' and More!

by Joel Keller, posted Mar 19th 2010 6:19PM
TV Squad logoAfter a few weeks off (my fault... don't ask), we're back in the swing of things, talking about everything going on this March on TV. This week, Jason Hughes, Danny Gallagher and Allison Waldman join me to talk about:

• All the new shows that have started this month. 'Parenthood,' 'The Pacific,' 'Justified' and 'Minute to Win It' are discussed (we're especially flummoxed at why 'Parenthood' isn't at all funny),
  • How Leno returned to 'The Tonight Show' and no one cared,
  • What we think the Conan tour is going to look like,
  • The return of 'Breaking Bad,' 'United States of Tara,' and 'Nurse Jackie,' (Warning: spoilers abound during this discussion),
  • Picks of the week, and more.

Run time is 1:07:14.

You can listen to the podcast below, or download from here or by subscribing to our RSS podcast feed. It is also available via iTunes. Feel free to leave us feedback in the comments or drop us a line at tvsquadpodcast [at] gmail [dot] com.

As always, the music at the beginning and end of the podcast is "Life" by Justin Trawick.

By the way, the audio problems we had in the last podcast have fixed themselves. Enjoy the non-robotic-sounding voices!

Stephnie

I really love the podcast. I was just wondering if you were still going to do the Lost podcast recently mentioned and what happened to the Life Unexpected recaps?

March 22 2010 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
not getting it

Just sharing my preferences as a listener. Think about it from a TV perspective - successful ongoing shows, without fail, have a well-defined structure and a strong moderator (whether behind the scenes or in front of the camera).

Whether it's a late night talk show, a game show, a reality show, a cooking show, or 99.9% of all non-fiction shows - the baseline for success is a consistent structure and good pacing, enforced by a strong host and producer.

A good structure sets the right expectations for the audience, then meets those expectations week in and week out. Good pacing lets the listener know that even if the current topic is not of interest, it will not drag on too long.

Particularly for a TV themed podcast, you are guaranteed to get on topics that some listeners aren't interested in - reality for some, game shows for others, hour-long dramas for others. So good pacing is important.

Even Ricky Gervais only goes for 25 minutes or so of unstructured conversation in his show - and, he's Ricky Gervais!

March 21 2010 at 7:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
not getting it

you've put a great site together with a group of great writers, and I enjoy some parts of the podcast as well. I've been looking for a good tv podcast, and was enthusiastic to see this one! Some suggestions, take them or leave them :)
1) Less from Joel - be more of a host than the main event. Keep things moving along, get a few quips off, but don't opine at length.
2) Structure the whole thing with segments. Don't wander from subject to subject, or go off on tangents all the time. "what you're looking forward to next week" is a great segment. Some other ideas "comment of the week", "best show last week", "question of the week", "tv-related entertainment news", etc - and keep them short.

3) promote positive readers! No more "crazy comment of the week" etc - that just encourages the crazies that want your attention. Do the "comment of the week" as a positive item - who had a great comment or insight? Promote what you want more of. Answer good questions. Don't even address the BS!

4) You're putting on a show, not taping a conversation in the lunchroom! Very, very, very few people are entertaining enough that we want to listen to them chat for an hour when we don't know them. Shows need structure, segments, someone to move things along, and useful content.

Thanks.

March 20 2010 at 9:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to not getting it's comment
Joel Keller

We haven't highlighted the crazy commenters in a very long time, so that's already been taken care of.

Also, we do have a structure in place; I just like the loose feel of the show the way we have it. What I may do, though, is give people timestamps that indicate when we start talking about certain subjects. But that would require some work on my end.

And the whole "less of Joel" thing? I don't quite get that :). Not even from an ego standpoint; I'm there as a host, but I'm not serving as a moderator. I'm there to give my opinion along with everyone else.

March 21 2010 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TMZ

Glad to have you guys back. I was starting to think that you had decided to stop doing the podcast. Believe it or not, people do actually listen to it and look forward to hearing it. Keep it comin', guys!

March 19 2010 at 6:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply