July 28, 2014

Here's the New Doctor Who Trailer

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 22nd 2010 1:06PM
Recasting 'Doctor Who' must be like recasting James Bond: you have to get it right or serious fans will be really irritated. Here's a look at the new Doctor (Matt Smith) in action. The new season starts Saturday, April 17 on BBC America. You probably can't tell a lot from just a trailer, but what do you think?

Steve

Did I hear the Geico Gecko in there somewhere?
I'm British, so no, they don't all sound the same to me.

March 29 2010 at 1:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobynM

Personally, I've got high hopes. The more I see of Matt Smith, the more I like him. I'm also a fan of Steven Moffat's work, so I'm expecting good things on the writing front as well.

March 23 2010 at 2:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
adhonus

I think he's going to be brilliant in a way that we cannot know yet, and that's what makes following the show so interesting. There were so many doubts about David Tennant before he began, and he blew it out of the park as soon as he sprang from the Tardis in the Christmas special. There's a lot more expectations built up for Matt Smith, but I think the show is in very good hands at the moment.

My hope is that his Doctor will be a bit less broody about being alone, and can enjoy the sheer thrill of time travel again. You had that with Christoper Eccleston. I'd advise anyone with doubts to go back and watch some of his series again to remember that the Doctor is much more than one man.

March 23 2010 at 12:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
greggy

I've been watching the DR for over 20 yrs, and can't say I'm that much of a fan. The writing over the years has been wildly uneven and seems to reflect the actors abilities (or lack of them). This latest guy doesn't seem to be up to the task (from my decidedly American point of view), but the writing seems to make up for his lack of ability. I know 60 seconds worth of a preview isn't much to base an opinion on, but this latest DR guy doesn't make me want to put him on my TIVO list.

March 22 2010 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to greggy's comment
Jen

So if you're not a fan, why have you bothered to watch it for 20 years? And of course the show has been uneven...it's seen (now) 11 actors and countless writers. You can't expect consistency in that type of environment.

And you seem quick to judge this guy. From my decidedly American view, I'd like to give him a chance before I deem him unworthy. :)

March 22 2010 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beergas

Atmosphere, FX, style, all look good. Not sure if it has a soul or real core. Guy not a grabber right off. Not that he's all geeky cold, just more of a cypher.
Will know after 3rd episode. Took that much for me to get into all the prior ones. But I was more neutral about them.
Whereas here I'm not even that.
Glad the Brits liked it early on, but then what do they know speaking such a dead language and all that....ohw rd

March 22 2010 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

The Doctor with a gun? Hmmmmmmmmm

March 22 2010 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

British press has gotten an early screeing of the first ep, and they love it

March 22 2010 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George

If this trailer doesn't give you goosebumps, please return your soul to the nearest Unused Soul Reclamation Depot. Visit http://www.ihavenoinnerchild.com for a list of locations.

March 22 2010 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Professor Zed

I'm all goose-bumpy with anticipation! Looking forward to seeing Matt Smith take on the role, as well as looking AT the ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL Karen Gillan as the Doctor's latest traveling companion. Ooh, and the Weeping Angels are back! NASTY!

March 22 2010 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew Golem

Looks really good.
Can't wait until it starts.

March 22 2010 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply