August 31, 2014

How Will Christiane Amanpour Change ABC's 'This Week?'

by Danny Gallagher, posted Mar 22nd 2010 10:02AM
Christiane AmanpourHere's a bit of news from our "Department of News that Everyone and Their Mother Saw Coming." Needless to say, they've been a little behind with the health care bill debate, and Tiger Woods' apology .

Christiane Amanpour has accepted the offer from ABC's news division to anchor the Sunday show 'This Week,' taking over for George Stephanopolous, who now anchors 'Good Morning America'. This means she'll be leaving CNN where she has racked up an impressive 18-year body of work consisting mostly of international reporting and journalism.

However, does this give her the chops to moderate a political fueled talk fest? There are yeas and nays on both sides of the question.

First off, she is a dynamite reporter, especially by cable TV's ever-narrowing standards. She's a good ol' fashioned, on-the-ground-first, grinding her heel in the dirt reporter. She's covered wars, uprisings and conflicts up close and personal. Whenever there was a natural disaster or a world leader overthrown in a bloody coup, Amanpour's face was usually the first one you would see at the epicenter of horror.

Secondly, she has conducted a lot of hard-hitting, probing interviews with all sorts of heads-of-state from the relatively sovereign nations to those in never-ending turmoil (i.e. the Middle East). She actually sat down with the likes of Iranian Presidents Mohammad Khatami and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and picked their brains cleaner than a vulture on a roadkill buffet.

That being said, international and foreign issues have been her main forte. I haven't watched every second of news footage she has ever conducted, but she doesn't seem as versed on domestic issues as she is on international isssues.

I don't have any doubt that she'll be able to bring the hurt to political leaders harder than Stephanopolous, a former political consultant, ever could. If she has the balls to even sit in the same room with wingnuts like Ahmadinejad, she'll have no problem stripping down the rhetoric from the likes of mouth-flapping pundits like George Will and Ed Gillespie.

The show might feel a little different when it comes to the usual form of debate between the show's rotating pundit roundtable. Not only is there a possibility of a heavier focus on international issues, but Sunday mornings might also see less interjection from the moderator since she's a trained journalist, rather than a political pundit or advisor for one side or the other.

Either way, it's a gutsy show on ABC's part to choose such a credited journalist for the job. She may not have been the most popular choice, but she's certainly among the most credible. Hell, that's more than I can say for most people in her medium.

Jim

Big deal, swapping one big government statist for another

March 25 2010 at 9:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

This Week is usually 6 liberals and George Will --it actually is funny to watch the liberal masterbation.

March 23 2010 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas Blixa

Holy Crap,

I have never read such BS in my life!!
Are all of you people just jealous of Amanpour or what?
Such hateful, Distaseful crap!!!

March 23 2010 at 8:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Thomas Blixa's comment
jc

No Jealousy, NO WE ARE FAIR MINDED, Intellegent and able to may up our own minds with out being lead by the nose...( WE WANT FACTS NOT OPINIONS)..... A reporter is a very important position, but todays media are biasis..tell lies....What happend to Intergrity, Objective reporting ? Give me a break. Real Reporters Should not endorse 2 standards of justice.

March 25 2010 at 9:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JEANNE ASHLEY

I ALWAYS LIKED CHRISTIANE. SHE IS A VERY HARD WORKER. ALSO SHE IS GREAT AT HER JOB. SHE TELLS IT LIKE IT IS. AND I'M VERY HAPPY THAT SHE WILL BE REPLACING GEORGE. ---- SINCERELY MACHOSGRAM1

March 23 2010 at 6:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MaryJ

This isn't true at all!

March 23 2010 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MaryJ

Great move!

March 23 2010 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
steve

I never watched "This week" and never will but I've seen Amanpour on CNN a few times (this is NOT a channal I watch neither). My impression about her as a TV reporter:
she is VERY biased to the left and she is the staunched suppoter of muslims no matter how cruel, unjust and horrified they can be. She ALWAYS find the lame reason to justify they actions.

March 23 2010 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to steve's comment
chanan

You sound like one of the Nazi-Racists I met in the 1930s in Berlin. By the way, some Muslims say the same about American non-Muslims.... Who is right?

March 23 2010 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ARVIE

CHRISTIANNE IS CRISP CONCISE AND DIRECT IN HER ASSESSMENT OF THE ISSUES SHE IS COVERING!! I THINK SHE WOULD BE AN INVALUABLE ASSET TO ABC NEWS JUST LET HER GIVE HER OWN LINE INSTEAD OF FEEDING THE TELEPROMPTER!!

March 23 2010 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol Welch

Wonderful choice for moderator of This Week. I have watched Christiane Amanpour for years on CNN. She is excellent as a reporter and journalist. I liked George but he blended into the set backdrop. This should be very interesting and lively. I know that I will watch.
CLW in Concord, NH

March 23 2010 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim C

Let's see,,,, what will Amanpour add to the desk? How about LIES. As that is what she has been caught at more than once. She should have been drummed out of the business. And that's the truth.

March 23 2010 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply