December 22, 2014

'The Amazing Race' - 'Cathy Drone?' Recap

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Mar 22nd 2010 12:31AM
Brent and Caite stack glasses on The Amazing Race
(S16E06) I realize, for the most part, sometimes the folks on the West Coast are envious of us in the East. After all, we get to watch our favorite shows three hours earlier than they do! Sure, we can give breaking news on spoilers like "Phil was at the welcome mat with a mime." But there's a huge drawback to viewing our favorite shows here in the New York City area.

It's called sports. It doesn't matter what sport either. Sooner or later, golf, basketball, football, baseball or another fan-driven game with its overpaid pseudo-celebrities delay our favorite reality shows with their own pseudo-celebs. Tonight, 'The Amazing Race' was delayed nearly an hour due to March Madness. That's aptly named as I get mad every March at basketball.

Still in France?
Now, perhaps I'm misremembering or senility has set in. But, didn't they travel a lot more in previous seasons? The last few seasons have had multi-legs set in a single country. This season, we already spent two legs in Chile. Last week, the teams did battle in France; this week, they get to see a bit more of the countryside in France. Yet they don't get to experience Paris in the spring, as they don't even get a hundred miles away from where they started in the leg. It's still one of my favorite shows, but it's been lacking that whirlwind adrenalin rush as of late.

Joan of Arc ... is that the one who loaded all the animals?
Oh my. Since I watch 'Big Brother,' I wasn't really surprised that Jordan mixed up Noah's Ark and Joan of Arc. I guess I shouldn't be shocked that Caite, the former Miss South Carolina Teen USA who thought people don't know geography because they don't have maps, also had the Noah's Ark mix-up in mind. Brent wasn't much better. What are they teaching these days? Nintendo? Texting? The brothers, Dan and Jordan, were just about as dense when one mentioned that "They don't speak English too good here" while in France. Well, duh!

At least we had both a roadblock and a detour
I griped last week because they only had a detour. Thankfully, we're back to both challenges this week. I like the tasks for different reasons. While each challenge gives us a peek into the culture or people in the country at hand, the choices made and the team member who does roadblocks tend to separate the wheat from the chaff.

The roadblock came first this week. While Jeff is sort of claustrophobic and leery of heights, he took on rappelling down a shaft into a champagne cellar just because Jordan didn't want to do it. How gallant! The other Jordan was upset that he was doing the task and whined. Jeff was actually funny with his own sort of Chicago "why me" fussing. Jordan, not so much. Carol and Brandy, and Caite and Brent, tend to whine and bicker too much for my liking. The cowboys, Jet and Cord, seem equally adapted to do pretty much anything thrown their way.The cops, as well as Steve and Allie, seem to take all in stride -- even to the point of fixing Steve's car crunch with duct tape.

The detour was trickier. Even getting to it was tricky, as it appears two places in separate towns have the same name. One is a winery and one is a castle. Locals gave most of the teams the wrong location. Louie and Michael managed to find a local to lead them to the right place. But, once there ... I don't know why teams constantly walk by clues, but they always do. Searching for a marked bunch of grapes in a huge field or stacking a 15-tier champagne tower (then pouring champagne in it)? I'd have to go for the grape bunches myself, wouldn't you? I only hope I wouldn't foolishly walk by a dozen clue bunches while searching thoroughly for the same!

The first shall be first and the last shall be last
For the third time, the cops finished first. It was a combination of starting out first and generally following the clues well. They only stumbled in the detour. Although they did well, I'm still not getting million dollar vibes from the team. I enjoy watching them and all, but think that the cowboys work just as well together, as do Steve and Allie. The teams I would like to see go home -- mostly Carol and Brandy, but more Caite and Brent, didn't. Carol and Brandy, bickering and whining, did well in the leg. Although I liked Brent and Caite in the beginning, their relationship is starting to get on my nerves.

The Pit Stop order
1. Louie and Michael -- each won a trip for two to Mexico
2. Carol and Brandy
3. Steve and Allie
4. Jet and Cord
5. Dan and Jordan
6. Brent and Caite
7. Jeff and Jordan -- Philiminated

I'm sorry to see them go because I enjoy watching them. Jordan tends to make me giggle, and Jeff is always nice eye candy. But they weren't the strongest team. I don't think the strongest team has come in first the last three weeks either.

Who do you think is the strongest team?
Michael and Louie71 (14.3%)
Brent and Caite4 (0.8%)
Jet and Cord339 (68.1%)
Dan and Jordan7 (1.4%)
Carol and Brandy5 (1.0%)
Steve and Allie72 (14.5%)

Melissa

A couple of things struck me as funny as I read this. The first was talking about how the writer was talking about what they teach in school and then you refer to Caite as Phoebe. Then when the finishing order was listed you Brent was racing with Cord and Caite he is one talented guy. Jet must have left with Jeff and Jordan :)

March 25 2010 at 10:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laurie

I admit to thinking of Jeff & Jordan/Caite & Brent as Dumb & Dumber, but at least J&J had a good attitude and the ability to laugh at themselves. I was sorry for Caite initially because so many made fun of her, but her appeal started to tank when she hawked up a spit wad in public (is that beauty pagent behavior?) and quickly moved on to whining. Go cowboys and Steve & Allie. And yes, there needs to be equalizing flight.

March 23 2010 at 1:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sassy

Hoping next week brings us to an equalizer and gets everyone on the same starting time. The cops are annoying me with their arrogance, the women couple and the models are annoying me with their bickering and complaining, the brother boys are too whiny... So, let's keep the cowboys and Granpa and granddaughter in the game!

March 22 2010 at 11:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Fans clamoring for years for them to eliminate the parts of the race where everyone catches up... well, how's that working out for you? Pretty boring, if you ask me. As Jackie points out, first out, first in, last out, last in... Yeah, waiting for flights and openings which catches everyone up would suck if you were in the lead... but as a viewer? There's really no contest... they need everyone together for it to be remotely interesting. Of course Jeff and Jordan were out... They were a combined 3 legs back in terms of this leg. How could they have caught up without a complete disaster from another team or a U-Turn like last week? Wasn't going to happen. And while that's more fair to those in front, it's far less interesting.

Be careful what you wish for.

March 22 2010 at 10:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike's comment
melheal

I know...I was actually wishing for "bunching"...alas, it wasn't meant to be..bye bye Jeff & Jordan.

March 23 2010 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I'm going to miss Jeff & Jordan. I rooted for them on BB, and I think they're so much fun to watch. Jeff was my eye candy on the show, and Jordan says the most hilarious things. I liked that they didn't take themselves too seriously, but I wish they made better decisions. I was hoping for a Race Equalizer (you know when all the teams have to take the same train/bus/plane), but it didn't happen... I'm not sure who I'm rooting for anymore, I guess it's the Cowboys. All the other teams I could easily lose and not miss them.

March 22 2010 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jan Crump

I am gonna miss Jeff and Jordan! The "Joan of Arc in a boat gathering animals" is, and will always be, my favorite Jordan quote. (and that's saying a lot, cause I loved her and Jeff on BB) I wish them both well and happiness in the future. I don't really care who wins at this point, although the cowboys and the cops are the only two teams that constantly work together and don't bicker and fight, so maybe one of them. Steve and Allie are ok to I guess.

March 22 2010 at 9:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

count all the awkward moments between Phil and the teams...

Brent and Caite arriving at the pit stop way early!

March 22 2010 at 8:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lglymph

I don't think they have any sort of equalizer for a while where they all meet up for something at the same time. We'll see if Mike and Louie can stay at the top when that happens.

My top 3 teams are (not in any order)
*Louie and Michael
*Steve and Allie
*Jet and Cord

March 22 2010 at 8:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lglymph's comment
D-Bo

Exactly, I'm rooting for the cowboys and I think once they have an equalizer they'll get back on top.

March 23 2010 at 8:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patrick

I just have to add one thing about that mime.... "why so serious?"

March 22 2010 at 8:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Patrick's comment
melheal

When I read your comment, I thought..."WTF?...why the face?" Ahhh, Modern Family...love it!!

March 23 2010 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sir Yuck-Yuck

To bad Jeff & Jordan of BIG Brother fame had to go, at least when they would flounder, they would poke fun at the situation or poke fun at themselves. I WISH Brent & Caite would have went instead, when they flounder its headacheville with their childlike bickering. I HOPE they go next.

March 22 2010 at 3:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply