April 16, 2014

Big Opening for 'Breaking Bad'

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 23rd 2010 12:02PM
breaking_bad_amc_season_threeThis is really, really good news. This is the kind of news that has to make every television fan cheer ... and breathe a sigh of relief. The season three premiere of 'Breaking Bad' was seen by two million viewers. For a network show, that would be cause for alarm. For AMC, it's a reason to celebrate. Those two million viewers were the most to ever tune in to an episode of 'Breaking Bad.' Did you hear that, world? 'Breaking Bad's' most-watched episode ever.

The numbers were spun, naturally, and they got even better. There were two repeats of 'No Mas' that night, and the total number of viewers climbed to 3.3 million.

AMC cares about the numbers, they're psyched about the 17% jump from the season two premiere of 'Breaking Bad.' I'm just happy that a show that's so good will be able to continue without threat of some executive canceling it because of the numbers.

By the way, AMC also let out this nugget of info. The 'Breaking Bad' numbers were better than the 'Mad Men' season three premiere viewership. That show managed a very good 2.9 million. Based on the way 'Mad Men' ended season three, however, I'll be surprised if their season four debut doesn't kick ass. It was a great Matt Weiner sort of cliffhanger, with a new business starting and Betty going to Reno for a divorce.

All things considered, AMC has a lot to be celebrating. Both 'Mad Men' and 'Breaking Bad' are two of the best -- no, they are the best -- shows on television.

Celia

Can anyone tell me the name of the ritual thta was going on, when the Mexican people were slithering on the ground?

March 25 2010 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony DIMeo

the school scene had me laughing and surprised Walt is smarter than all those kids.

March 24 2010 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danielle

You watched the first 2 seasons and b/c you thought the open episode was bad, you stopped watching? Theres so many suspensful moments and moments that make you say WTF, how can you give up so easily?

March 24 2010 at 9:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lgcoach77

I've seen every episode since the beginning. This opening episode of season 3 was so bad i stopped watching it. I like the show and was looking forward to it but was truly bored with it. I did the dvr thing so I will attempt to watch it again. I honestly don't see how that episode will attract new viewers.

March 24 2010 at 4:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Lgcoach77's comment
froggytuff

@Lgcoach7...just keep going.....ep2,3,4,5 are story build ups to an awe inspiring ep 6 and 7.

You won't regret it.

May 07 2010 at 11:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kngtrk2

Breaking Bad is definitely one of the best on the idiot tube. If you like it check out "Nurse Jackie" on Showtime.

March 23 2010 at 10:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony DIMeo

They are the best shows on TV indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 23 2010 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ken

Breaking Bad has intrigued me from the first.
As a chemist I can relate Walter White and just love the Periodic Chart symbols in the credits.
The series is, at times, so gritty it's almost hard to watch, yet has incredibly dark humor like when HF disolved the tub and it falls thru the floor or when
Hank is given Tuco's grill in lucite

March 23 2010 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AngryBob

I thought the opening was brilliant; the background reminded me of those old westerns with the big sky and beautiful mesas. The gym scene and Walt's spin on the air crash were captivatingly awkward and uncomfortable and what makes the show what it is and keeps it worth watching - full of unexpected twists that you didn't see coming; his follow-up justification to Jesse "I blame the government" was right in line with Walt's descent into the kind of self-justification he needs to live with himself. Solid gold.

March 23 2010 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Romain

I actually laughed out loud at the speech in the auditorium.

I don't think the episode was that weak -though far from the best the show had- it might just be hard to readjust to the pace of the show in the beginning.

I'm really looking forward to what follows now...

March 23 2010 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

It's too bad the premiere wasn't better. I'm one who considers Breaking Bad the best show on TV, but the opening might have put some new viewers off, and the whole scene in the high school auditorium was awkward and strange.

Then again, I thought the season premiere of Mad Men was weak too, but it quickly found its stride.

March 23 2010 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Jim's comment
Matt

I enjoyed the premiere a lot, including awkward and strange moments (I thought it was a fascinating scene, personally). I think that most new viewers were coming from watching the DVDs as their first exposure (I'm in that camp), so they know what the show's about.

March 23 2010 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
froggytuff

@Jimmy....didn't u find Walt's take on 'How people move on speech' interesting and an 'oh no he didn't say that' feeling?

Anyway, re watch it. The Sad faced girl - taling about her not getting sleep etc. is actual Bryan Cranston's daughter and the Neighbour talking about the air collision is Bryan's Wife.

May 07 2010 at 11:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply