August 30, 2014

'Castle' - 'Tick, Tick, Tick...' Recap

by Jane Boursaw, posted Mar 23rd 2010 1:54AM
Castle: Tick Tick Tick(S02E17) "There's an app for that?" - Castle to Jordan Shaw, on her fingerprint app

Tonight's episode of 'Castle' was the first of a two-parter, and some pretty big stuff happened. If you haven't seen it yet, I'll wait til after the jump to talk about the major spoilers.

One thing I can talk about before the jump is Dana Delany. It was really awesome to see her in a meatier role than her 'Desperate Housewives' character. Ever since 'China Beach,' I've been waiting for her to get a really good role and hopefully, her new ABC pilot 'Body of Evidence' will be just that.

I know she's had plenty of roles since 'China,' but nothing that's equaled it in my mind. What can I say? I live in the past. She also played Magnum's girlfriend, so there.

Beckett's apartment blew up! With her in it! I can't imagine that she's NOT alright, her being the female lead and all. And as my daughter pointed out, Castle didn't seem all that grief-stricken in the previews for next week's show, so I'm just going to imagine that she somehow made it out alright and is just recuperating in the hospital with a few burn wounds. There, I feel better now.

The other big change is that Martha appears to be leaving to go live with her boyfriend, which is making me sad. I feel for Alexis because she doesn't want her grandma to leave, even though they all knew that Martha staying there would just be temporary. Maybe she'll stay now that Beckett's apartment has been blown up and Castle will need her emotional support.

Let's talk about Castle and Beckett's night together. They both said that nothing happened, but do you think they're telling the truth? He made pancakes! Executive producer Rob Bowman had this to say about it: "I can say that if anything happens, it would happen and they would both absolutely deny it. Well, he might spin it a little bit, but she would just say nothing ever happened. And we would leave it to the audience [to decide] if something did happen."

Then there was Jordan Shaw's telling statement to Beckett: "So how long have you two been sleeping together? ... I've been profiling people for a long time, and I'm hardly ever wrong."

I haven't even talked about the case yet, because it sort of took a back seat to everything else that happened. But you know it was difficult for both Beckett and Castle to deal with murders that took place because of Castle's books and Beckett's character in those books. And also difficult for Beckett to deal with Jordan sort of bossing her around.

It was pretty fun, though, how giddy Castle got over Jordan Shaw's cool tech gadgets - the taser (way to nab the perp, Captain America), the matrix board (it can never take the place of Beckett's murder board), the fingerprint app, and his interest in Jordan's previous cases (the decapitator!).

What did you guys think of this episode? I'm looking forward to your theories on Beckett's state of health (or lack thereof), as well as what happened (or didn't happen) the night she and Castle spent together.

AndrewKA

That was a great 2-parter! I’m a hug Nathan Fillion fan and I really enjoy Castle quite a bit. That was I was pretty bummed when I had to go out of town recently on short notice and forgot to set my DVR to record it. Fortunately being an employee of DISH Network I had heard about DISH Online. It’s a site that supplies a lot of great free content and I was able to catch up on Castle using that. I also learned that I could have used the site to set my DVR remotely, lesson learned there. But it’s definitely a great site to check out even if you’re not a subscriber to DISH Network.

April 06 2011 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lyla

Don't you mean Captain Hammer? Or maybe Captain Reynolds? XDD I love Nathan Fillion so much. And I doubt that the show would have them sleep together and NOT let us know. That will be big for fans. Like on Smallville when Clark and Lois finally officially got together. It might draw more viewers. They couldn't keep it a secret. We would mutiny.

March 29 2010 at 2:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brd23

Beckett was at her boyfriends place! Mentioned in previous episodes. That's were she was.

March 24 2010 at 5:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
p

beckett was definetly somewhere else. We saw her bath room when she was reading Heat Wave before and it was a totally different tub.

March 23 2010 at 11:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WallyMartino

Hey,

She can't be dead, to many movie jokes to be made later. Here are my thoughts

i wanted to discuss my thoughts. I went back looked at the sleep over scene, tried to get all the angles i could. There main area to the left is the kitchen to the right is a door she came out of i assume her bedroom. Flash to the end, not sure where in her place there room for a long hall from the bathroom to the phone. That doesn't exist in the sleep over scene. Also these buildings units are usually 1 floor multi floor apartment (condo's) are two expensive.

I say she is at her fathers you notice he was calling her cell. Also i watched preview next episode, seems castle starting to worry about his family. I think what beckett heard was castle phone saying Goodbye. I think his phone was the trigger to the bomb. Thus causing castle to realize he also could be in trouble.

Only other way out is she managed to get back to that tub, it is soaked wet from water, she is soaked wet. the bomb seemed more fire oriented and the tub is have space underneath it. This would allow the fire to surround it without going in.But it would also heat the tub up a lot.

so i think option A is more correct.

March 23 2010 at 10:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jan Crump

I agree with the above - as soon as FBI Shaw was on the phone with her son, I thought she was setting up all these cases to make her career get on the fast forward track! She hasn't had a big case since the one Castle mentioned, so she made one up. She's also interested in Castle for the publicity so she thinks she is killing off Beckett. My opinion - guess I'll find out next week.

March 23 2010 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Takayo

I'm SO glad I tuned in to watch this episode of Castle. I love Nathan Fillion, but I almost never actually watch this show (seen a total of 3 episodes counting this one) for some reason. Heard Dana Delany was going to be in this episode though and I knew I couldn't miss it... Only I thought it was supposed to come on next week, so I did. Thank the Gods for Hulu!

I felt like the line "profile" and all related words were used a little too much, like the writers couldn't come up with any other synonyms for the profiling word tree. Or that they were throwing a hint at us- I'm with whoever above said that Shaw might be behind the killings.

I'm not sure what's going to happen with Beckett other than her not being dead, unless this show is one where anyone can die. Killing the female lead in a mid season episode of the second season wouldn't really work otherwise (and probably not even then- It'd have been like killing Kate from lost back in season 2). Her being hospitalized because of major injury would make more sense.

Either way I can't wait for the next episode of this two parter. And I've got to start watching this show more, lol!

March 23 2010 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dadiva18

I thought the epi was great! for those ho have read the book, it had a few paraells to it. ("spoiler alert"~Castle is you haven't read it)

On the Becket/Castle sleepover: At first when he brought out the wine I was like "Oh god, waiting for the tequila then the drinken sexcapades like between Heat/Rook in the book". I'm on the fence though. It had that sense of morning after awkwardness, but at the same time, it seemed as he did also sleep on the couch. (highlight: "Details?" "Come closer...THERE ARE NO DETAILS!!!!" lol)

2.) Beckett going "boom": Ok the shower scene, I was once again flashing back to the book when Heat got attacked. When I saw that i was freaking out and my friend (who didnt read the book yet) was telling me to calm down. And then Castle running to her apartment and seeing it blw up, I was just :-0. I am HOPING that thet did not kill her off. I would just...I don't know.

Prediction though on who WILL die (if it is not Beckett): Shaw. I mean, she is awesome, but mentioning that she is a mother (another highlight: "Mommy has to go arrest someone, but I'll be home for dinner." lol), is just seeting up for a sad scene. It's like the dog in any disaster flick. Once it is established that the dog has an emotional attachment, it usually dies, which is really sad.

I'm hoping that NO ONE will die, but you never know.

PLEASE let Beckett be safe!!!!

~dadiva18

P.S.: FYI and on a shippy note the look that Castle had when his mother was talking to him about her: SOOOOOO loves her!

March 23 2010 at 7:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chancock6

LOVED it, as usual. And if you really want to know if Beckett survives, just go to TV.com's Castle episode guide and you'll find out. This has become my favorite show. I love the witty banter and the great chemistry between the two leads.

March 23 2010 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LoopyChew

Nobody mentioned my favorite callback: The "This dirtbag's mine!" music from the first-season episode during the Captain America taser sequence.

March 23 2010 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply