August 21, 2014

'Damages' - 'Drive It Through Hardcore' Recap

by Jane Boursaw, posted Mar 23rd 2010 6:08AM
Damages, Glenn Close(S03E09) "We'll find Patty's humanity and we'll drive it through hardcore." - Gail Sturmer

What is up with that horse? In a previous review, I wondered if maybe Patty Hewes was harking back to an earlier time in her life when she wanted a pony. But it's hard to imagine Patty being so innocent and carefree and, you know, the pony-coveting type.

On the other hand, she doesn't seem like the bad guy when you put her in a room with Arthur Frobisher. Hence her comments when Frobisher, Terry Brooke and Gail Sturmer sat down for a meeting.

"The Arthur Frobisher that I know: foolish, vain, pathetically insecure, a despicable bully," she told the would-be filmmakers. "He stole from his employees and manipulated the system to escape life in prison with a slap on the wrist."

If there's anything Patty loves, it's seeing the bad guys behind bars, even if she herself manages to escape all of that turmoil for her wrongdoings.

Ellen's mom and sister don't seem to understand that once a meth dealer is in the system, it's not like you can do much to clear their name. Then again, here's where Ellen's alliance with Patty might come in handy. Ellen's efforts at the D.A.'s office didn't go well, so she turned to Patty for help. I'm still wondering if the baby ends up with Ellen eventually. That could get interesting.

Carol Tobin is one messed up chick, and who can blame her? Her family's a mess, she's got the blood of her father's mistress on her hands, and now she's got Patty and Tom breathing down her neck. Who wants to bet that Carol doesn't make it through the season alive? I kept waiting for her to tell her shrink that she'd killed Danielle. That didn't happen, but Patty knows anyway.

I can't figure out if Lenny is like a brother or a romantic interest to Carol, but I'm going with brother at this point. I see him more romantically connected to Marilyn Tobin, although that's not quite right either. He's just a sad puppy looking for a family to call home.

Back to that hole in Patty's wall. Maybe I'm reading too much into it. Maybe it's just a hole made by Patty in a fit of anger over the situation with Michael. Then again, the renovation guy had this to say: "The real value of the apartment is behind the walls. You never know what we might find if we tear them down."

What's it all mean? It's anyone's guess, but I'll look forward to your theories.

Jason

A loving friendship between Patty and Ellen? I think there's mutual respect, but I don't think there will ever been much more than that. I have a feeling it'll be a bitter rivalry by season's end.
It seems like Ellen convinced Tom to leave Patty for his own good (and to start a firm with her), and he ended up either getting murdered or jumping off a bridge. (I'm going with the former).

March 27 2010 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Reggie

I believe the horse has something to do with the child Patty lost, perhaps in a miscarriage. Her son asked about any past pregnancy issues and Patty lied that there had been none.

Patty is no defender of the little guy, she is only out for number one. All the things she said of Frobisher are equally true of her.

Ellen should get her sister a good lawyer who can negotiate a less severe sentence in exchange for a plea.

March 23 2010 at 10:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ben

I don't think Ellen is being gullible ... just human. Family members can really mess with your head, no matter how smart and strong you are. Ellen's family members have always looked up to her and leaned on her, so it can't be easy just ignoring their desperate pleas (no matter how pathetic and manipulative those pleas are).

I like the twists going on with Ellen this season. Even though she had every right to be dark and vengeful in season two, it became tiresome after awhile. She has really turned into a strong, lovely woman and I love that she and Patty are nearly on equal footing for a change.

When she went to Patty for help, and Patty (sensing Ellen's tremendous reluctance to ask for such a favor) said, "What is it?" the gentleness in Patty's demeanor was so touching. I believe they truly care about one another and I'm really glad the show's producers have decided to end the show by having their tumultuous relationship turn into a loving friendship.

March 23 2010 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BC McKinney

Between Ellen's father's sometimes sinister behavior, and her mother's comments that "your sister never had a chance" and "I've never been able to protect her," are we to believe that Ellen's sister may have been abused by their father, while Ellen was (presumably) not?

Did mortally wounded Tom fall or throw himself off the bridge, or did his attacker pursue him and finish the job?

March 23 2010 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TR

Of course Ellen is going to Patty over her sister but I don't understand why she's allowing herself to be so manipulated by the situation. She's smarter and stronger than that. I'm not liking the twists she's taking this season.

Anyone else wondering when she became so gullible and weak ?

As far as the hole in Patty's wall? What about the dream sequence they showed? That was really messed up!!

March 23 2010 at 9:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to TR's comment
Jim

Hmmm. I suspect Ellen is gullible only because it involves her family. Patty is the same way. Look at her vulnerability with her son and the prospect of being a grandmother (with a middle-aged daughter-in-law).

As for not liking this season's twists: I've loved the main storyline this season (more so than last year), but the new Frobisher plot seems a little contrived. I think the "movie (or TV show) within a TV show" idea has been overdone. We'll see where it goes.

Could the horse be a reference to The Godfather?

March 23 2010 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply