December 20, 2014

'The Big Bang Theory' - 'The Pants Alternative' Recap

by Kona Gallagher, posted Mar 23rd 2010 12:27AM
big bang theory sheldon no pants
(S03E18)
If you've ever read my 'Big Bang Theory' reviews, then you know that I always end it with some of my favorite quotes from the episode. I'm pretty sure that after this week's, my hands almost fell off. There were so many great lines to choose from-- and I didn't even get in to Sheldon's amazing speech. Were I to do that, then I'd pretty much be transcribing the entire episode instead of reviewing it.

The episode went along pretty much as you would expect it to: Sheldon has a weird problem, the friends pitch in to try and help him out. There are a couple of things I didn't see coming: The "C-Men" joke, and Sheldon's amazing drunk stand-up act at his awards ceremony. In three years, that was the loosest we've ever seen Dr. Cooper, and the results were fascinating.

My only hope is that they never let Sheldon get drunk again. It worked tonight because it was so unexpected and brilliantly done, but to do it again would be to ruin it. We already have alcohol as a device to loosen Raj up and allow him to talk to women, and if we gave the same device to Sheldon, it would just be a little bit too much. Plus, it would say some weird things about the drinking habits of the scientific community that may or may not be accurate.

While I wouldn't want a sequel, Sheldon's routine at his ceremony couldn't have been funnier. However, there were some other fun parts about this episode. Sheldon's fashion show was a pretty typical "geek makeover" scene, but the fact that he had a suit that involved sequins and a bolero when he was six makes me wish that this show did flashbacks.

Sheldon and Leonard's therapy session was pretty great as well. It was nice to see them continuing the storyline of Leonard's bizarre relationship with his mother. However, and I really don't know why this tickled me so much, it was Sheldon's line about wearing "size 'a million' pants" that nearly killed me. Overall, this is an episode worth keeping on the DVR.

Some of my favorite lines from this episode:

Sheldon: "I can't give a speech."
Wolowitz: "No, you're mistaken. You give speeches all the time. What you can't do is shut up.
Raj: "Before the movie, you did 20 minutes on why guacamole turns brown. It turned brown while you were talking."

Leonard: "What, to you, is a large crowd?"
Sheldon: "Any group big enough to trample me to death. General rule of thumb is 36 adults or 70 children."

Leonard: "We think we can help you with your stage fright."
Sheldon: "Oh, I doubt that. I haven't figured out a way, and I'm much smarter than all of you."
Penny: "Yes, buy you're not smaller than all of us put together."
Sheldon: "I'm sorry, that is what I meant."

Penny: "So what do you say, Sheldon, are we your X-Men?"
Sheldon: "No, the X-Men were named for the "X" in "Charles Xavier." Since I am Sheldon Cooper, you will be my "C-Men."

Raj: "These methods come from the ancient gurus of India, and have helped me conquer my own fears."
Sheldon: "And yet you can't speak to women."
Raj: "True, but thanks to meditation, I am able to stay in the same room with them without urinating."

Sheldon: "I recently had a dream that I was giant, but everything around me was to scale, so it all looked normal."
Leonard: "How did you know you were a giant if everything was to scale?"
Sheldon: "I was wearing size 'a million' pants."

MJ Forever

love that episode

November 24 2012 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gman

Raj: “Okay Sheldon, I’m going to be leading you through a series of meditation exercises: these methods come from the ancient gurus of ancient India and have helped me overcome my own fears.” Sheldon “And yet you can’t speak to women?” Raj: “True but thanks to meditation I’m able to stay in the same room with them without urinating.” Ha ha! Blockbuster was my first choice in the past and I used them for many years until I started using Netflix but when they raised my price I started using Blockbuster when I got my free mail membership and now I’m all for Blockbuster. I got it free with my new DISH Network employee account but it’s free for anyone. http://bit.ly/jYtohY

September 15 2011 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
charleswheeler

Was that Tom Lehrers "The Elements" Sheldon was singing?

March 24 2010 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to charleswheeler's comment
Brett Alan

Indeed it was.

April 04 2010 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C. Hernandez

The most disappointing thing to me about this episode is that CBS didn't have the full speech up on YouTube. They could have had the cameraman pan away at the "Uranus" line. Way to miss an opportunity.

March 23 2010 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mistaneon

did anyone catch the card at the end about "we are often accused of using of using a laugh machine... here is a picture of our laugh machine." There was a post on tvsquad with the youtube video they are referencing.

March 23 2010 at 12:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erica H.

Ok,
Bruce, I do agree that I would love to see Raj over that fear of talking to girls, however last night during meditation I almost peed my pants when he said that because of meditation, he was able to stop urinating in front of girls. (I don't even want to comment on your heroin vs alcohol comment...way out there)
Matthew, I love the idea of a walowitz or raj episode.. It's been a long time since the focus was off of Sheldon, you are right... but I don't think I stopped laughing at all...
And the drinking plot was hysterical bc Sheldon, or as we now know him as Shelly, doesn't drink. Look, they didn't show him driving, and he had a night (or forgot a night) and most of us has done that once... As for the too much drinking plots... well, Raj has the thing where he neeeeeds it..lol.. He needs to get over it, but Penny used alcohol as most of us do... when the in laws are in town. Hell, when my Mother - In - Law (and grandmother in law) come into town, I booze it up. My in laws are Raymond's Mother, Marie. So instead of taking all the criticism a little too critically (as it's apparently meant for), I brush it off, and have a drink. (pretty much only time I drink these days) Not a crime mind you, and they are young.

March 23 2010 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SpaceVenus

How hot was Sheldon in a "good" suit?!

@Bruce - jeez, relax, it's a show.

March 23 2010 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

People doing things that are out of character and thus "silly" while they are drunk is just not funny. Alcohol doesn't turn people into opposites of themselves, it just brings out whatever bit of asshole resides in the drinker. I just find it to be a lame plot device. If anything happens as a result of getting drunk aside from a vehicular accident or a rape, it's a load of crap and a really stupid plot device. I really wish this show wouldn't rely so much on the "alcohol makes them funnier" principle of TV sitcoms. I can handle Raj talking (like there's ever such a thing as a quiet drunk) but even that should be resolved by now - I'd like to see Raj get over that and finally be able to talk in front of a woman, if not directly to her. He always has funny things to say. At this point every character, including Leonard's mom, has had a dumb experience with alcohol.

I love the show, but enough with alcohol-based plots. No, I'm not against alcohol I just think people should recognize it as the dangerous, poisonous, extremely intoxicating drug that it is. Something is seriously wrong as long as alcohol is perfectly legal but heroin is not. I'd rather be around a room full of heroin users than a room full of drunks. I'd also rather be on the road with a driver high on heroin than high on alcohol (if it has to be one of the two).

March 23 2010 at 10:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jessica

i loved the line about a "million-sized pants," too!

March 23 2010 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew Thomas

Very disappointing episode. There were some great lines but everything felt disjointed and strangely out of place especially Sheldon's drunk scene. And i hate the fact that this great ensemble cast is now being used simply to service the Sheldon character every week now that he's become the focus. Make an episode revolve around Wolowitz, Raj, Penny. This isn't the big bang everyone fell in love with in its first two seasons.

March 23 2010 at 7:59 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Matthew Thomas's comment
Will

I agree. Love "BBT" but it's fast becoming "The Sheldon Show" much like "Family Ties" back in the '80s became "The Alex Keaton Show" after the big-screen success of Michael J. Fox. I always hate when that happens.

March 23 2010 at 4:19 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply