September 30, 2014

'General Hospital' Recasts Sonny's Son Again

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 24th 2010 11:04AM
drew_garrett_abc_general_hospitalLess than a year ago, 'General Hospital' made a big move by aging the character of Michael Corinthos, III. Young Dylan Cash, who had played the role for six years, literally growing up before our eyes, was deemed too young for the mature story the writers had in mind for Sonny's son. It was a rough transition for fans, but since Michael was in a vegetative state and bed-ridden for months and months, when he finally awoke and the actor playing Michael was Drew Garrett, we accepted him.

However, in a surprisingly move, 'General Hospital' has replaced Drew Garrett with Chad Duell. No reason given, just a general statement wishing Garrett well in his future endeavors. The pink slip came as a shock to Garrett who claims he was blindsided by the dismissal. And just a month ago he was on the pre-Emmy nomination list for award consideration.

It's hard to fathom why 'GH' has made this switch. Garrett's been very good as Michael, playing all the angst and frustrations of a young man who has lost a year of his life in a coma and is struggling with anger issues. He seemed to fit right in with the other actors, at least on screen.

The new Michael will be played by Chad Duell, an actor best known from the Disney Channel show 'Wizards of Waverly Place.' He'll be taking over as of April 20.

No doubt there'll be more coming out about why the change ... for now it's just speculation. The new actor looks a lot like Drew, so it's not like they're moving in a different direction with regard to appearance or age.

Too bad for Drew. I thought he was excellent in the role.

exfan

we think the producers of G.H. don't know what they are doing again, we are sick and tired of seeing another good actor go. We thought Drew Garrett did an outstanding job of playing Michael. We have seen a few pictures of the new Michael and we don't find him to be that great looking. We have quit watching G.H since April the 19th and never plan on watching it again. We hope Drew will do something soon we sure do miss him. Good luck Drew on whatever you do.

May 27 2010 at 5:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Glenda Simpson

I guess I'm disappointed because GH is the only soap that I watch. I really enjoy coming home after a long day and watching it. Drew just fit the part. He reminded me of Jason. The one family that makes up GH just now seems weird to watch. This new Michael Just doesn't fit in. I'm getting fed up with the writing on this show and I don't think that it will be long until I quit watching it, espcially if they don't quit getting rid of the actors that I really enjoyed watching. He as so good, and now I fast forward through the new guy.

April 25 2010 at 9:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
T

I'm sorry... but he looks like Spinelli. I'll be confused when they are side by side and that is no fair to the actor who plays Spinelli. Next... they will dig up some story about them all being related... LOL. Sorry... stupid move ABC.

April 21 2010 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tam

Zet26...I agree with you about the original Carly and Claudia. I couldn't get used to her. But, your recollection of the actor(s) who played AJ Quartermaine is not correct. Jakob Young did NOT play that role, but was in fact the 2nd Lucky Spencer. There were MANY actors who played AJ, but Jakob was not one of them. The 2 standouts were Sean Kanaan and Billy Warlock. A search online can confirm this for you.

April 20 2010 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tam

In my opinion, Drew Garrett did an excellent job in the role of Michael. He'll be missed.

April 20 2010 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
oldsoapie

Drew Garrett IS Michael! He has the right balance of grit, youthfulness and maturity which is a challenge in itself. Please rethink this foolish move of letting him go! He has great depth for such a young actor. GH if you want to change something, change the mob storyline, it's old, stale, and unbelievable. Add adventure, fun, intrigue, etc. Have Sam Mccall laugh rather than crying every scene she's in. Bring back winifred for spinelli, he's turned into such a pathetic character!

March 26 2010 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dgcb

how do you know that is what happened Claudia centraus????????????? all his cast mates said that he was doing a great job, and they enjoyed working with him.

March 26 2010 at 12:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Claudia centraus

Unfortunately, Drew did not leave on his own accord. Between his inability to grow as an actor and not getting along with others on the set, this was Drew Garrett's destiny. The Casting directors wanted someone who could grow into the character Michael Corinthos is destined to become. This is something they see in Chad Duell and I agree with them.

March 26 2010 at 12:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

I too was saddened to hear that the newer & older Michael was being recast. I wasn't sure about him in the beginning but they sure had him dive in & play with the "big dogs" early on & I think he proved himself above & beyond with his story lines. I will miss him!

March 25 2010 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Connie Charles

Always thought was a big mistake (1 of many) to replace Dylan Cash, who was a much better actor than Garret, and someone viewers would have actualy cared about. Personally I fastfwd thru all his scenes, and since they only aged him a year what was the point! GH has a bad of habit of changing actors instead of letting their actors "act", probably because they never allow their characters grow and/or change. What they really need to change is writers is bring soaps into the current century or they will find themselves out there with GL & ATWT which used to be my fave soaps for years but when they got cancelled my response was, "what took so long" this crap sucks I fastforwarded thru entire episodes consistently, kinda like I do with GH now!

March 25 2010 at 6:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply