August 31, 2014

'I Spy' star Robert Culp dead at 79

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 24th 2010 6:25PM
I SpyOne half of the 'I Spy' team is gone: Robert Culp has died near his home in Hollywood at the age of 79. What's even more troubling is the way he died. Culp apparently fell and hit his head while out for a walk and was found by a jogger. He later died at a hospital.

Although Culp is probably best known for his work with Bill Cosby on 'I Spy,' he could be equally well-known to modern audiences for his work on two other classic shows. He played Agent Bill Maxwell on 'The Greatest American Hero' and also played Debra's dad on 'Everybody Loves Raymond.'

He made appearances in tons of other TV shows too: 'Columbo' (he was the murderer four times), 'Murder, She Wrote,' 'Matlock,' 'Robot Chicken,' 'The Outer Limits,' 'Police Story,' 'Dr. Kildare,' 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E., 'Combat,' 'Disneyland,' 'The Rifleman,' 'Bonanza,' 'Golden Girls,' 'Wings,' and many more shows and movies.

Oh, 'I Spy' was a fantastic show. It was shot on location around the world, which is rather rare for a TV show. It's on tonight at 9 on Retro TV. After the jump, the opening (you can also watch the show for free at SlashControl).

Lifestrand.net

Memorial for Robert Culp. Feel free to express your memories

March 25 2010 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vetea

Robert Culp, best known for his role in the pioneering TV series I Spy opposite Bill Cosby, has died. He was 79.

March 25 2010 at 4:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jrd

When I think of Robert Culp, the first thing that comes to mind is the "Demon with a Glass Hand" episode on "The Outer Limits".

March 25 2010 at 4:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Most younger people today know him as Dr. Breen from Half Life 2. He gives a lot really long speeches. I like to listen to everything he's cause he went through the trouble to record it, and I liked his voice.

March 25 2010 at 1:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
the dude

i will miss him and will remember him going forward with his large body of work that was dam well very good. so long bob!

March 25 2010 at 12:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

He was a great talent. He was by far the best part of "Greatest American Hero". I later discovered his outstanding work on "Columbo".

March 25 2010 at 12:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevinbgood621

" I spy " was a classy show that dripped of intrigue , mystery and showed great locations from around the world . The feeling that this show generated will never be reproduced .Many say that the great bond Culp had with Cosby helped race relations both on TV and in society as a whole . What a great guy ! I , along with many , will miss him . Rest in Peace .

March 25 2010 at 12:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

I grew up watching I Spy...Culp and Cosby were great together. http://www.modificationsolution.com

March 24 2010 at 11:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
s thompson

Let's not forget that Mr. Culp was an excellent writer as well. He wrote some of the best episodes of both I Spy and The Greatest American Hero.

March 24 2010 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

That's three TV heroes this week. Peter Graves, Fess Parker and now Robert Culp. Very sad.

March 24 2010 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply