August 21, 2014

Zach Braff Tells Facebook Fans That 'Scrubs' is Done

by Joel Keller, posted Mar 24th 2010 12:27PM
'Scrubs' season nine cast
If you're a fan of 'Scrubs' and were holding out hope that the show was going to return... well, you weren't paying attention to the signs. ABC burned off the final two episodes unannounced this month; the season finale aired before a night of Wednesday comedy reruns. Then a number of show writers and producers took to their Twitter and Facebook feeds to mention that last week's episode was the "series finale" and not the season finale.

But if you need to find an "official" word that the show is done, you pretty much can't get any more official than Zach Braff himself. He told his Facebook fans that "it appears that "New Scrubs", "Scrubs 2.0", "Scrubs with new kids", "Scrubbier", "Scrubs without JD" is no more. It was worth a try, but alas... it didn't work."

The Hollywood Reporter went to ABC for confirmation, and the Alphabet Net said that a decision on the show's fate hasn't been made yet. But, believe me, you don't have to hear it from the network, or even Bill Lawrence for that matter, to know that the show is a goner.

As anyone who's read my reviews of the show this season knows, Lawrence and company did a good job creating a new show under trying circumstances. First, they were saddled with the burden of making the medical school-set show, which was essentially a spin-off, the ninth season of 'Scrubs' instead of the first season of a new show under a new name.

Then, ABC insisted that Braff stay on board for the first six episodes; even Lawrence himself admitted that having Zach around was too tempting to the writers, and they revolved storylines around his character of J.D. instead of making him a more secondary character. This allowed little time for the new characters, played by Kerry Bishe, Dave Franco and Michael Mosely, a chance to grow. Only after Braff left did we see the potential in those characters and in the med school setting. But by then, it was too late.

Was the J.D.-free version of 'Scrubs Med School' as funny as the original? No. But, by the time it had reached its season finale, the characters were strong enough and the chemistry was good enough to make me want to see more. Even John C. McGinley, Donald Faison, Eliza Coupe and the other holdovers from the original were starting to settle in and find their places in the ensemble. I especially liked how Ken Jenkins was used, as we saw Bob Kelso deal with getting older, lonelier, and more dependent on people.

Not sure if this show would be able to have another life on another network. But at least Lawrence and his writers can be proud that, by the time the season ended, they had a show that could sustain itself without the help of its biggest star. On the now-cliched spectrum of spin-offs, 'Scrubs Med' was a whole lot closer to 'Frasier' than it was to 'AfterMASH.'

Ricardo A Eralte

How Zach Braff Tells Facebook Fans That 'Scrubs' is Done, please http://www.unchindeto.com/cmo-ingresar-facebook.html

June 06 2011 at 9:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

We enjoyed the new Scrubs. The episodes were funny, cast worked well together and there was not too much J.D. It sounds like we missed the finale though?!?!

May 08 2010 at 9:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bookster

Love the new show

April 08 2010 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bookster

I got to say I loved scrubs 1-8 but when I saw the first of Med School I loved to see JD Zach Braff, The cast works, they did a great job. and I love it just as much.
Donald Faison ak "TURK" going I'm not sure it will hold up. I'm not sure John C Mcginley aka "Perry" can hold it together. IF? From time to time they can get some of the old stars to make a show here and there? I think there is a chance the show could stand on it's owne two feet.
I know I will be watching it till the undertaker takes it away! Thank yoy Bill for all you hard work.
Greg

April 08 2010 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Takayo

Darn, I was hoping Fox would pick it up.

I haven't gotten around to watching the last two eps of the series, mostly cause I didn't know they were coming on, which was the biggest sign to me that it was getting canned. Kind of lame that the show returned after a true finale to go out with such a whimper (media attention wise, not sure how the episodes were).

March 24 2010 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry

Wait!

What?

'Scrubs' is still on?

March 24 2010 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John From Raleigh

I am bummed.... I was really starting to dig the show and it would have fit nicely in ABC's Wednesday night block.

I don't understand how it cost less for ABC to commission "x" number of pilots to fill the 8 p.m. slot next year vs. just giving Scrubs the chance to continue to improve on this year's close.

I will say Cougar Town has improved quite a bit lately, I hope Bill L. will now have more time to continue to improve it.

March 24 2010 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RevJonathan

I agree that the show had certainly grown enough that more episodes would be worthwhile, but I don't blame ABC for the cancellation. They resurrected it and even renewed it. It was their fault to have too much JD, but in the grand scheme of things you can't say they didn't give it a real shot. The cast and crew can be proud of their work.

March 24 2010 at 2:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

I made the same announcement years ago!

March 24 2010 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply