'American Idol' - '1 of 11 Eliminated' Recap

by Jane Boursaw, posted Mar 25th 2010 6:27AM
American Idol, Top 10
Last night, we learned the Top Ten who'd be going on the 'American Idol' tour this summer. Out of all the contestants who made it into the Top 24, I'm ok with who's left. There are really only a handful of standouts for me -- Crystal Bowersox, Michael Lynche, and Siobhan Magnus -- but all of the contestants have their moments.

What I love about this season is there's such a diverse group of singers, each with their own fan base. We've got Crystal's bluesy-folksy vocals, Katie Stevens' teen pop, Michael Lynche's soulful blues, Casey James' guitar rock, Aaron Kelly's mad vocals (I'm convinced he can sing anything well), Tim Urban's Zac Efron vibe, and Siobhan's edgy pop-rock. Lee DeWyze, Didi Benami, and Andrew Garcia don't really pop out at me, but there's still time.

Did the right person go home last night? Let's talk about it after the jump.

Who went home:
Paige Miles

Top 10 who'll be touring this summer:

Didi Benami
Tim Urban
Siobhan Magnus
Crystal Bowersox
Michael Lynche
Casey James
Andrew Garcia
Katie Stevens
Aaron Kelly
Lee DeWyze

Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here and tell you that I actually like Tim Urban. And I'm with Miley Cyrus on the little slide he did during the performance show this week. I thought it was fun. Didn't the judges say to connect more with the audience? So he does, and they slam him for it. Besides that, there's a ton of potential for female tween and teen fans there, and Tim's come a long way since getting his second and third chance on the show. I'm not saying he's going to win the competition, just that the potential is there.

The Ford video: Eh, whatever. Balls in a fountain. Lesson: Never leave an Idol behind!

Ryan's little chat with the contestants at the beginning of the show was boring. I get that they're trying to ease into the show and help us connect with the Idols, but Casey's story about goofing up in rehearsal didn't seem that ground-shaking. Although it was funny that Siobhan's boss was in the audience vowing not to shave until she wins. First of all, that's some boss to show up and support her that way. And second, shave the beard, Rob Zombie.

Then again, he could be like Katie's dad and be across the street slugging down drinks because he's afraid he'll jinx her. I'm with Ryan - being across the street would be more nerve-wracking than being in the auditorium.

Did you like Miley Cyrus's performance? it's probably a good thing she wasn't getting judged by Simon, et al, because it was a little pitchy. But good promo for her upcoming movie, 'The Last Song.' And I'm ok with Miley being a mentor to the contestants. Yes, some of them can sing better than her, but she has a lot of years performing under her belt, and she carries herself really well for being only 17. It's amazing what she's accomplished in her life so far. Sure, she's had her slip-ups, but she seems fairly well-grounded, for the most part.

I guess it was Disney Channel night, since Joe Jonas and Demi Lovato performed their duet 'Make a Wave.' I asked my 12-year-old daughter if they're an item and she had no idea. Apparently, she's grown out of the Disney Channel demographic. Their performance was ok, but nothing earth-shattering (although they had plenty of screaming fans in the audience).

How do you guys feel about Paige Miles going home? She seemed like the obvious choice to me, as she really wasn't in the same league as the other contestants, even Tim Urban. I felt bad, though, when Simon said it wouldn't matter if she sang for her life, because the judges were going to send her home anyway. Simon never minces words, but that had to hurt.

I look forward to your comments.

alknows

There wasn't a chance in hell Paige, or anybody was getting saved last night. That would have meant two eliminations next week, leaving 9 people for the tour. Paige's 'different' song was the one she had ready for her sing or die spot. Lacey had a different song last week as well.

March 25 2010 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

When Paige sang at the end, she didn't do the Phil Collins song. They always sing the song they did the previous night, so how did she know to do a different song? Did she know she was going home ahead of time and they allowed her a different choice?

I think the judges ALWAYS contradict themselves.

March 25 2010 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Miley Cyrus was the most ridiculous "mentor" they've ever employed. Most of those Idol kids can sing and perform circles around her, and the only reason she's where she is instead of them is because she has a famous Dad in the music biz who carved a road for her. I kinda wish Crystal had said, "All due respect, kiddo... I'll do it my way, thank you very much." and walked away. Of course, that would be Idol suicide, because nobody likes an arrogant Idol, but I would have loved it. :)

March 25 2010 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

Paige should have gone home the week that Alex Lambert got booted. Andrew also is bad and I don't know who is voting for him. But as I always say it doesn't matter what order these bad singers go home, they aren't going to win. The winner will come down to 2 or 3 of these singers.

March 25 2010 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stacie23

The results show itself is just ridiculously long. It should not be an hour. 30 minutes is plenty of time, otherwise we get those awkward moments in the beginning with Ryan, the awkward mini interviews with the contestants when they find out if they are in the Bottom 3, and the awkwardness of Ryan asking the judges questions. So in essence, it's way awkward. The group performance is laughable, they are not even trying to pretend to be really singing live, having 2 musical performances is ridiculous and asking each contestant random stuff in the beginning can be reduced. It used to be 30 minutes awhile back but in recent years it has moved to this water-downed results show.

Oh, and yes it was good that Paige went home. She deserved to, and Tim or Andrew deserve to go next. I understand that people keep saying that Tim has a teen or tween following, but he's been in the Bottom 3 two times in a row, so the votes aren't really there for him it seems. If Andrew goes that's fine too. Both of their voices are just not up to snuff. A guy is definetly going home next week, I don't doubt that one.

March 25 2010 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Stacie23's comment
nchamlong2

I couldn't agree more! Get rid of some of the guest (alleged) singers as well!

March 25 2010 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sjackson

Thank god for DVR. I was mercifully spared the group number, Miley, and whoever the two were towards the end, not to mention Ryans blah, blah, blah. Of course Paige was the one to go, but I think Simon could have been a little bit more tactful. Why make her sing at all then? I was surprised Andrew wasn't in the bottom three, but he'll be out soon enough.

March 25 2010 at 11:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
greatone

Paige wasn't good the last 2 weeks but to say that she wasn't on Tim Urban level is going a little overboard. Tim last 2 performance have been awful also. The slide he did was corny and he is just a averge singer. I think Paige have more potential to be a better singer than Tim and wished she would have stayed.

Instead of Paige or Tim I would have voted off Miley Cyrus. The vocals on that performance was bad. The song probably would have sounded better if someone else would have sing it. If Miley was on American Idol should would not make it to the top 24. I still am confused on why A.I. made her a mentor. Instead of Miley, Idol should have brought back Kelly Clarkson, Ruben, Carrie, or Fantasia to be mentor. I would rather see them mentor a contestant than Miley.

March 25 2010 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to greatone's comment
CMG

I would think that the reason Miley was a mentor would be obvious: the whole point of the show is to create a commercially successful pop artist. Miley Cyrus is a highly successful pop artist, one that has successfully targeted a youth (specifically, pre-teen/teen female) audience. Whether or not that success is attributed to her or her handlers, she still has experience working within that demo, and therefore would hopefully be able to relay a little of that experience to the contestants. (She also has a new movie and soundtrack to promote, probably a better reason she was there.)

March 25 2010 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nchamlong2

I agree! Or how about Kat or Clay as well? They not only have the chops, they also have the experience of being on the Idol stage. There's nothing wrong with mentoring, but Miley and Usher?? Come on now!

March 25 2010 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob

I'm thinking that the judges really missed the mark this year. First of all the talent level of these people is really not that good i'm sure there were many better singers in Hollywood who were much better than this group. One that come to mind is Angela Martin she had the voice the look the whole package i'm thinking she must have some baggage that the producers didn't want to deal with.
The judges have these kids totally confused and to tell you the truth the judges look totally confused. they have been contridicting themselves constantly. Ellen offers nothing anf randy has become Mr.pitchy Kara is creepy with the cougar stuff i'm glad she toned that down the suits must have told her to back off and Simon looks like he hates the show.

March 25 2010 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristi

I thought Paige gave the worst vocal of Tuesdays show, and so I wasn't suprised or unhappy that she was voted off. I think she has a great voice though, she just couldn't find the songs that would have shown it off. I'm excited to see which soul/R&B song Crystal chooses next week, it will really put her to the test I think.

March 25 2010 at 9:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NightOwl

I agree that Paige was the obvious choice to go home. Her performance was just awful and she was getting worse instead of better. Also thought Tims' knee slide was kind of cool. He has the potential to be a good singer with a little more experience, but, as you said, the judges seem like they are going to slam him regardless.
As for Miley, she was a terrible choice to be a mentor. When she was talking to the Idols, she came across as too full of herself and more than a little dense. I doubt if any of the contestants paid much attention to what she had to say, as minimal as that was. That being said, I was surprised at how good her vocals were on her performance, though she detracted from that somewhat with her over emoting antics, slinging her hair around, making faces and such.
The duet with Joe and Demi was a waste. A terrible, syrupy song that was performed poorly. We muted it soon after it began.
With the exceptions of Crystal, Siobahn, Mike and Aaron, this was a bad week , performance wise. Andrew seems to be speaking his songs more than singing them, and I cant believe that he wasnt at least in the bottom three. If Paige hadnt been so dreadful, I would have voted to send him home.
Has anyone else noticed that Randy seems to have decided to actually start judging peoples performances this year instead of just spouting slang and calling everything pitchy? Its a good chance and makes him relavant as a judge for a change.

March 25 2010 at 7:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply